The Student Room Group

What do I do? Offer but with change of course!

Hi there,

I missed my offer to study maths at cambridge on the step grades but have been told I can study NatSci. I really dont know what to do :/

I now have a choice between NatSci at Cambridge or maths at Warwick.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by IndyJK9
Hi there,

I missed my offer to study maths at cambridge on the step grades but have been told I can study NatSci. I really dont know what to do :/

Thanks in advance.

That is a difficult decision. It sometimes possible to change course at Cambridge. People quite frequently do this. However it would be a mistake to rely on this possibility, as it depends on the college allowing it, and the department you want to move to accepting the request. So that would be a gamble. Only go to Cambridge if you think you'd genuinely enjoy Physical Sciences through NatSci.
Meanwhile Warwick has a top notch reputation for Maths, so if you are set on Maths, this is certainly not something to sniff at.

Overall take your time over the decision. Don't rush things. And spend some time looking at the NatSci course. Don't go for anything that you are worried you wouldn't enjoy. NatSci is one of Cambridge's toughest courses, and you need to enjoy the material in order to have the motivation to cope with the work load.
Original post by IndyJK9
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, congratulations on both offers! I know this may sound stupid, but what I would do is create 2 tables, with one being the positives of each course and the uni and the other being the negatives. You could include the best/worse course aspects, cost, accommodation etc.. Then from this you can pinpoint your main reason for wanting to study each course, and also the main negative about studying each course. This may help you in deciding whether Cambridge or Warwick seems better to you. I would also check out the Natural Science course topics online, to see what you would actually study (you will study maths in this course). If it sounds interesting then that's great- but if not it may be an indication that NatSci is not for you, as you will spend 3/4 years studying the subject. Also, please don't just go for NatSci at Cambridge for the prestige, you will have to work very, very hard at it, which is much harder if you have no/little interest in science. People on that course will have read loads of science books, gone on work experience and entered competitions- they have a passion for it. Finally, I would also advise that you consider what you want as your future career, and which degree will help you best. If you definately wanted to do maths then Warwick might be best, but if you want to go into banking/finance then you could get in with NatSci at Cambridge (there is even an employee on the Bank of England website that did just that!) And if you have no idea, then I would just go for the degree that interests you most. Please remember that no one is going to sit those exams at uni for you, so you really have to be realistic with yourself on what actually interests you and what you will work hard for. Don't just follow what your parents say- they're not the ones that are going to do those exams! I hoped this at least helped a bit, and I wish you all the best for your decision and your course. You are very lucky to have the ball in your court!- my brother today just missed out on his NatSci offer, and so we are waiting to hear tomorrow on whether they will still take him...(fingers crossed!) xxx
Reply 3
Thank you for your help guys. I weighed up the pros and cons and spoke to the director of studies for NatSci at the college. In the end I went with NatSci at Cambridge. The flexibility really attracted me and I am genuinely interested in physics. I never had a passionate love affair with maths, I guess I just applied because I didn't know what else to do, got on pretty well with it and just got use to saying 'i'm studying maths at uni'. (I still like the subject though!)

Still very nervous about it though because I spent a whole year expecting to study maths at uni.

@Alix_js I hope your brother gets in!
Original post by IndyJK9
Thank you for your help guys. I weighed up the pros and cons and spoke to the director of studies for NatSci at the college. In the end I went with NatSci at Cambridge. The flexibility really attracted me and I am genuinely interested in physics. I never had a passionate love affair with maths, I guess I just applied because I didn't know what else to do, got on pretty well with it and just got use to saying 'i'm studying maths at uni'. (I still like the subject though!)

Still very nervous about it though because I spent a whole year expecting to study maths at uni.

@Alix_js I hope your brother gets in!

Thank you IndyJK9, you might see him in September at Cambridge! Who knows... Anyway a massive congratulations to you. I know that you are nervous but there is absolutely no need to be- Cambridge gave you an offer and accepted you for this, so they really believe in you :smile:. If they didn't then they wouldn't have accepted you. Good luck for September. xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending