The Student Room Group

Jobs where a degree is a necessity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
What are you basing that claim on? I don't think anyone seriously suggests that CILEX is 'just as reputable' as getting a training contract and qualifying the normal way - particularly at 'top firms'.

If you read my post properly you would see that I was referring to people on the CILEX route who have an established client base & work at reputable law firms. You're still valuable to them regardless of university status.

As someone who is about to start the LPC I am painfully aware of the changing legal landscape. Anyone who writes off CILEX route people needs to take a serious look at paths to becoming a solicitor. The market is already saturated with trainees. It's attractive to firms to look at alternatives such as apprentices & CILEX.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PotterLaw
If you read my post properly you would see that I was referring to people on the CILEX route who have an established client base & work at reputable law firms. You're still valuable to them regardless of university status.

As someone who is about to start the LPC I am painfully aware of the changing legal landscape. Anyone who writes off CILEX route people needs to take a serious look at paths to becoming a solicitor. The market is already saturated with trainees. It's attractive to firms to look at alternatives such as apprentices & CILEX.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top firms do not generally hire CILEX people. It's just a fact. There are a handful here and there, but very few.
Top firms do not generally hire CILEX people. It's just a fact. There are a handful here and there, but very few.

There are definitely not "very few". I'm not talking magic circle or even the top 20 necessarily. There are top quality legal practices outside of the giant corporate/commercial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are definitely not "very few". I'm not talking magic circle or even the top 20 necessarily. There are top quality legal practices outside of the giant corporate/commercial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're talking about 'top firms' that aren't top firms? This is veering into doublespeak.

At the top firms - the actual top firms, not whatever vague echelon of firms you've dreamed up - there are very few CILEX people.
So you're talking about 'top firms' that aren't top firms? This is veering into doublespeak.

At the top firms - the actual top firms, not whatever vague echelon of firms you've dreamed up - there are very few CILEX people.

I am talking about specific specialties. For example I want to do Clin neg and I'm obviously not applying to A&O am I!

I don't understand why you're being so facetious. I was merely having a discussion about the state of the legal market. I would advise you to tone down the arrogance. Especially around partners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am talking about specific specialties. For example I want to do Clin neg and I'm obviously not applying to A&O am I!

I don't understand why you're being so facetious. I was merely having a discussion about the state of the legal market. I would advise you to tone down the arrogance. Especially around partners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What arrogance? I'm just pointing out the objective fact that top firms almost exclusively hire people the traditional way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending