The Student Room Group

Parents reaction to your A-level results?

How did your parents react when you told them your results? Were they happy? Ecstatic? Unfazed? Disappointed? Fuming?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did my AS levels and I got straight As and the first thing my mum said was "WHY DIDN'T YOU GET ANY A*s?"

Ahhh typical asian parents XD
very mixed as i did better than expected in the 2 subjects i was expecting to do badly in but badly in the 2 subjects i excelled in all year, my mum referred to my results as a 'curveball'
Original post by SmileAway
I got 4 Bs, which I was disappointed with myself for. My mum says "I wont comment, cause if I say anything it will only upset you further"....and then she goes on to say "You didn't even revise! You were running off with your friends, or on the laptop or watching TV!!" - which is all very true and valid, but not exactly the comfort I needed, when I was already crying.

Oh gosh, my dad is exactly like that

My mu saw me cry and she told me it wasnt the end of the world, that i could apply though clearing and that i have done well all my life and that these things happen.

Of course I thought it was a load of *******s and it went in one ear and out the other..
Pretty ecstatic tbh :h:
Immediate family - okay with it (4 UMS off an A in A Level Biology), but I still got into my firm, even though they asked for an A, so I'm really lucky! :biggrin:

But we're Asians, so I guess they were expecting at least a mid-A :rolleyes:

Having said that, they're ecstatic that I managed to get on to the Pharmacy course, as it has good job prospects and a solid career pathway - the same cannot be said for my insurance choice, which was MSci Biomedical Sciences at Newcastle University (unconditional).
(edited 10 years ago)
I remember back at AS results day, some Asian guys mum said, 'what is this 100%...... you should have got 110%'.

:rofl: made me lol so hard
Reply 7
My Mum hugged me for way too long at school. I got 4 A*s. Dad was just embarrassing for the rest of the day.
Original post by James A
I remember back at AS results day, some Asian guys mum said, 'what is this 100%...... you should have got 110%'.

Are you serious?! :lol:

I would only have expected that in the Asian Dad meme :tongue:

And I really do seem to be finding you all over the place on TSR :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by James A

Sounds like my dad XD
Reply 10
Screamed and then proceeded to give me a suffocating hug, not exactly what i wanted 20 seconds after waking up, but oh well :P
Reply 11
My dad asked why I didn't get A*s in my ASs, but unlike the other poster he's not Asian :s-smilie:
My mum was pretty happy.
Original post by SmileAway
I got 4 Bs, which I was disappointed with myself for. My mum says "I wont comment, cause if I say anything it will only upset you further"....and then she goes on to say "You didn't even revise! You were running off with your friends, or on the laptop or watching TV!!" - which is all very true and valid, but not exactly the comfort I needed, when I was already crying.

Ah I'm sorry for your disappointment- but at least your parents weren't mad! My family usually make me feel annoyed by saying the most useless things. The worst for me (thank God my family don't do this), is when people say "you tried your best." Afterwards I'm thinking sarcastically " wow, that really changed my life!" It often just makes people feel even worse.
Reply 13
My parents were happier than I was :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
my mum was too busy watching UK: Border Force to care
Original post by sohailkm96
I did my AS levels and I got straight As and the first thing my mum said was "WHY DIDN'T YOU GET ANY A*s?"

Ahhh typical asian parents XD

Lol that's hilarious! I remember for a GCSE maths unit I just scraped an A*, and at parents evening my Mum said it didn't really count as I had just scraped it... I was like "IT'S AN A* I DON'T CARE IF IT'S SCRAPED OR NOT I'M HAPPY WITH THAT"
Reply 16
My mum gave me the "if you want to get anywhere in life you have to work hard" and "no tv for a year" talk, while my dad hasn't said anything to me - I think he's forgot I'm even doing A Levels, overall, they don't really care lol :biggrin: at least their reaction wasn't like GCSE year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
My dad was happy for me and even treated me to a meal and drink at the pub tonight. I phoned my mum (who lives 70 miles away from me) and she sounded thrilled for me. I'm a very lucky person to have such supportive parents :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Alix_js
Lol that's hilarious! I remember for a GCSE maths unit I just scraped an A*, and at parents evening my Mum said it didn't really count as I had just scraped it... I was like "IT'S AN A* I DON'T CARE IF IT'S SCRAPED OR NOT I'M HAPPY WITH THAT"

Looool yeah I do that as well when I'm a few marks away from a grade XD , in my results sheet it has all the exams and modules ive done for the AS grades and my dad saw that I got a B in my chemistry coursework and he was like "YOU GOT A B?!?!?!" I was like yeah.. but thats just for coursework I got an A overall...
Reply 19
What happened to the other 3% then? This is down to that game you always play etc...

(I got 97% average UMS >.>)

Quick Reply

Latest