The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Absolutely, I just scraped 2 Bs and 1 C. The A I got was a good one though. But I expected higher :/ I worked SO hard this year
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yodawg321
Guys if I get Bs/Cs for AS is it possible to get offers from unis like ABB :frown:((

Yes it is :smile:
I applied to an ABB course this year and got in with AAC, despite the fact that the C subject 'had' to be a B :smile:
You can easily pull up the grades up and if you have a fancy personal statement, you can win them over!
However, it may depend on the course you are wanting to do and any resits and such :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by Worms
OCR

Ah same! What did you get in each unit?
Reply 183
Original post by spookz
I was absolutely shell shocked when I got two C's in my psychology exam. I have never got anything below than a B in any pastpapers and the teacher that marks them is an examiner herself.

Same here! I was SO confident in the exam and knew everything needed :mad: now I'm actually dropping Psychology, never thought I'd ever do that
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 184
Anyone else shocked with their F322 result? I went through the mark scheme and I calculated that I'd lost 5-10 which would be around 135 UMS. The grade boundaries were pretty high so I thought maybe they'd been a little lenient with the mark scheme. Turns out I've lost 20 marks and I've got 117 UMS. I'm not going to cry about it, and in all fairness I'm no marking expert so I easily could have miscounted - but I really don't understand where I went wrong. I worked really hard to know my chemistry inside and out, but I still lost 20 marks. I got higher in exams that I wasn't as confident in, and it just shows how deceiving A-level exams can be.
Reply 185
Original post by Deziah
Anyone else shocked with their F322 result? I went through the mark scheme and I calculated that I'd lost 5-10 which would be around 135 UMS. The grade boundaries were pretty high so I thought maybe they'd been a little lenient with the mark scheme. Turns out I've lost 20 marks and I've got 117 UMS. I'm not going to cry about it, and in all fairness I'm no marking expert so I easily could have miscounted - but I really don't understand where I went wrong. I worked really hard to know my chemistry inside and out, but I still lost 20 marks. I got higher in exams that I wasn't as confident in, and it just shows how deceiving A-level exams can be.

Hey - kinda the same boat... I though I lost 5 marks too but turns out I lost a few more.. but gutted cause I thought I knew F322 inside out lol
Reply 186
Original post by Smko
Hey - kinda the same boat... I though I lost 5 marks too but turns out I lost a few more.. but gutted cause I thought I knew F322 inside out lol

Exact same here. I got an A on every single mock and I don't think I've ever been so confident going into an exam before. I might request a script back so I can maybe work out what went wrong. I still got a very high B so it's not the end of the world, just a bit disheartening when you work hard to be confident in an exam and your result says otherwise.
I got BCCD, was expecting BBCC.. Need to work harder next year!
I am in this boat. I am not really bright but I am a very hard worker and was predicted by my teachers AAAA. HA! Don't they look stupid now because only one managed to predict the right grade. I got ABCD in Latin, History, Geography and then Maths (in that order). To be honest the only reason I took maths was because my teacher said I could definately get an A... ...well who looks dum now.

If they have made the marking harder I will have a flippin fit! If you are going to mark it harsher tell us at the beginning of the year or at least half way through to give us a chance! Not after the f-ing exams. So angry because I was looking at really good unis after my GCSEs and now I don't even see the point....
Reply 189
Guys, just found this on one of the threads (posted in 2012). Thank you soo much. This has motivated me a lot!
Jubilee~

Original post by Jubilee~
Honestly let me tell you something, it's never too late to work hard. I was in the exact same position 3years ago. I got As and Bs in all my GCSEs and stupidly I thought A Levels would be the similar - I underestimated just how hard these exams are.

My AS results were E - Biology D - Chemistry C - Maths and E - Physics. I was gutted and I thought I'd have to re-do the year. However instead I just did re-takes during my A2 exams because universities (the good ones) do not tend to accept people who have done A Levels through the course of 3 years. Work hard, dedicate your life to your studies. I started revising for my re-takes during the summer holidays and I completely put my private life on pause. I revised god knows how many hours a day whilst taking adequate breaks (15mins) to eat/chill. Sometimes I used to work till 4am in the morning but you don't have to stay up as late as that.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. My A2 results turned to being Biology A* - Maths A - Chemistry A and I'd dropped Physics after AS because I didn't think I;d be able to do it. Basically the moral of my experience was - work hard and you'll get the grades you deserve.
Reply 190
Original post by MeganRok
Ouch, loads of my 6th form got kicked out. And it's not even the stupid ones who don't bother, most of the ones out today were the really hard workers. :frown: Good luck.

You must go to a 'good' sixth form college. Seriously I think colleges take their statistics way to seriously. If people are genuinely trying their best how is it fair to kick them out, Crazy!!! :confused::confused:
People do badly/not as expected every year :smile:
A-levels and gcse's are very different: if you are naturally quite clever at gcse you can get away with not doing a lot and still come out with good grades, whereas this is certainly not the case with A-levels.
All i can say about F322 and F212 for OCR is wow... just wow
Never been so gutted after being so confident after the exam.
Original post by MissMuffin95
I got BCCD, was expecting BBCC.. Need to work harder next year!

That's still good!! With a little more work you can probably bump up your Cs to Bs. :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by SyedaK
Guys, just found this on one of the threads (posted in 2012). Thank you soo much. This has motivated me a lot!

I agree with that quote but I don't think that person emphasized enough the level of sacrifice and discipline people need after a bad first year. I think a lot of people miss that point.

Good luck to people starting their A2/AS year, I hope you all get the grades that you want.
Original post by midnighteyes
That's still good!! With a little more work you can probably bump up your Cs to Bs. :biggrin:

Thank you! My D is being remarked as I got a B on one paper and an E on another! Got some weird results on mine.
Original post by MeganRok
Some for having AEE or anyone with more than 1 fail :frown: Seriously so harsh

Where do you go thats extremely harsh
I know that in the English Combined class at my sixth form, no one got above a C, even people who consistently got As in mocks. Seems a bit odd :confused:
Fudging OCR A Chemistry! But at least I got an A in the coursework... worst part is, on my college website our teachers write a little bit about us for our UCAS references and my Chemistry teacher went a bit overboard :/ Suspect most of it was copied and pasted but still. Made it sound like I was some Chemist genius.
Reply 199
Original post by freetown
I agree with that quote but I don't think that person emphasized enough the level of sacrifice and discipline people need after a bad first year. I think a lot of people miss that point.

Good luck to people starting their A2/AS year, I hope you all get the grades that you want.

I've worked really hard for this AS year and ended with BBDD. This might sound confusing, but how do you know you've done enough work? I thought I'd done enough and reached the limit of 'hard work'

Quick Reply

Latest