The Student Room Group

Parents reaction to your A-level results?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
4 As so my parents were happy overall
Original post by SmileAway
I got 4 Bs, which I was disappointed with myself for. My mum says "I wont comment, cause if I say anything it will only upset you further"....and then she goes on to say "You didn't even revise! You were running off with your friends, or on the laptop or watching TV!!" - which is all very true and valid, but not exactly the comfort I needed, when I was already crying.

:hugs: I know it's probably no consolation now and easy to say this, but those are good grades. It doesn't matter what I say, perhaps, because we all have our own personal goals and I'm aware you were disappointed and wanted better. But it's not the end of the world. It's just all very raw now, but ultimately you'll realise that they can still get you where you want to be and were just another hoop to jump through. You'll realise that in time. :smile:
Reply 22
My dad was like you were 'revising' for 4 months why didn't you get any A's or A*
Reply 23
My dad said I've never taken my studies seriously, and that I should do law :/ I'm a creative so I don't know how that would go down. He's just disappointed because I didn't get into uni the same time as most of his friends kids did. Typical Africans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
4 As i dont think ive seen my parents this happy about letters on a piece of paper before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
My dad's reaction:

Spoiler

Original post by Elys
What happened to the other 3% then? This is down to that game you always play etc...

(I got 97% average UMS >.>)

I hope they were just joking! Well done you've got an incredible average you should be so proud :smile:
Original post by Ashkun
4 As i dont think ive seen my parents this happy about letters on a piece of paper before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha! Congratulations!
Reply 28
I just finished ASlevel and got 3A's and a B. My mum screamed and called me a disappointment. Said no medical schools will take me in A2 and I can kiss my dream uni (Imperial) goodbye. I think she hates me.
Have been a mess since morning, just want to stop living .
Reply 29
Original post by IndyJK9
My Mum hugged me for way too long at school. I got 4 A*s. Dad was just embarrassing for the rest of the day.

Wow you're my role model when I get to sixth form
They were happy for me, but more because I got into the university I wanted than because of my results.
I got ABCD so I think there were some mixed feelings, but they just said well done and took me out to celebrate my university place.

I was happy with my results, because I knew what I was capable of and that was the best I really could have done for myself.
Well my mum did a jump in the air and Exclaimed "Yeepee!" and my dad was happy and smiling.
Original post by Nina8
I just finished ASlevel and got 3A's and a B. My mum screamed and called me a disappointment. Said no medical schools will take me in A2 and I can kiss my dream uni (Imperial) goodbye. I think she hates me.

What an absolutely horrific way to treat your child :frown: I'm so sorry she reacted that way. Your grades are good, work hard for A2 and you absolutely can get into a medical school, if that is what you want. It is really sad that you are so upset over a set of results most people would be ecstatic with :redface: Congratulations!
They were wry pleased as they knew how nervous I was and how hard I had worked :smile:
Original post by Nina8

That's awful - so sorry to hear that.

Firstly, ignore what she said. You are in NO WAY a disappointment.

Secondly, those are brilliant grades for AS level & sets you up excellently for A2.

Thirdly, those are definitely good enough for medicine, if that's what you want to do. You'll be able to get great predictions for your UCAS form - which is what the focus is on anway.

Ignore her, start thinking about your personal statement & have a chat with your school as well - they will assure you that with continuing hard work, you can get your dream Uni of Imperial.

Good luck! Stay positive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Neuro-
My dad's reaction:

Spoiler

Quality
Reply 36
Original post by Alix_js
How did your parents react when you told them your results? Were they happy? Ecstatic? Unfazed? Disappointed? Fuming?

It went something like *Long awkward 10 second pause* "well, is that the best it will be for university then?*

I hung up, i think BBBCC is good, considering how bad most of my 6th form did
Original post by SmileAway
I got 4 Bs, which I was disappointed with myself for. My mum says "I wont comment, cause if I say anything it will only upset you further"....and then she goes on to say "You didn't even revise! You were running off with your friends, or on the laptop or watching TV!!" - which is all very true and valid, but not exactly the comfort I needed, when I was already crying.

They are still great results! Like another poster has said, it's raw now but you will feel better soon, I promise. There are so many avenues open to you. Try to think about what you want to do (do you want Uni, or work for a year etc). Forget about grades & make a list of things you like and are good at. Then find a way to make it happen.
Seriously those are great results & you should be proud

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by -Neuro-
My dad's reaction:

Spoiler

Haha mine was similar last year when I got a "good" message after whatsapping my dad :frown:
Reply 39
My mum: "I didn't even know you were getting results. They're only mocks right?" :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest