The Student Room Group

What should I do? I need advice.

I'm currently studying computer science at City University London. I applied through clearing to transfer into the 2nd year. I'm simply not enjoying my time at City... I've hardly made friends, the course content is boring, I don't like the teaching environment and (unexpectedly) they put an extra module when I was about to go on holiday during June meaning I had to rush it and mess up part of my 2nd year result. Nevertheless, I did get a first overall in my 1st year.

Brunel university said they will be happy to take me and all I need to do now is to select them on track. But should I really do it? As I live in London, I would prefer to save money and commute. It would take me an hour to an hour and a half each day to travel, about twice as long as my current travel time.

But I just feel that they are a similar level on standards based on league tables. Am I being ignorant? Should I just go for it anyway? I didn't get an offer at King's, they said they would call me back but they said they didn't have any vacancies for a transfer (subtle rejection).

If I stay at City, maybe the lectures will improve but I can't take the risk... my grades were slowly deteriorating as the year drew to a close. But if I go to Brunel, it's more effort for me to travel and a bit more expensive... Brunel university does not have the "Professional Pathway" scheme either. However I do like the modules at Brunel more and I have more of an interest in it.

So should I make the switch? I would be studying the same course but different modules... But the main concern is that I got a first at City, staying here would make me miserable but I could continue to get a good grade (or not)...Brunel requires more effort to get to and that is on a similar level of standard to City, but should that really affect my decision?

Thoughts please.
Reply 1
If I wasn't happy where I was I'd take the transfer. I'd probably just live in halls though...
Original post by UWS
I'm currently studying computer science at City University London. I applied through clearing to transfer into the 2nd year. I'm simply not enjoying my time at City... I've hardly made friends, the course content is boring, I don't like the teaching environment and (unexpectedly) they put an extra module when I was about to go on holiday during June meaning I had to rush it and mess up part of my 2nd year result. Nevertheless, I did get a first overall in my 1st year.

Brunel university said they will be happy to take me and all I need to do now is to select them on track. But should I really do it? As I live in London, I would prefer to save money and commute. It would take me an hour to an hour and a half each day to travel, about twice as long as my current travel time.

But I just feel that they are a similar level on standards based on league tables. Am I being ignorant? Should I just go for it anyway? I didn't get an offer at King's, they said they would call me back but they said they didn't have any vacancies for a transfer (subtle rejection).

If I stay at City, maybe the lectures will improve but I can't take the risk... my grades were slowly deteriorating as the year drew to a close. But if I go to Brunel, it's more effort for me to travel and a bit more expensive... Brunel university does not have the "Professional Pathway" scheme either. However I do like the modules at Brunel more and I have more of an interest in it.

So should I make the switch? I would be studying the same course but different modules... But the main concern is that I got a first at City, staying here would make me miserable but I could continue to get a good grade (or not)...Brunel requires more effort to get to and that is on a similar level of standard to City, but should that really affect my decision?

Thoughts please.

You are obviously very unhappy with your current university, so this will mean that your grades will deteriorate. Therefore, if you understand that this isn't the university for you, perhaps it is more sensible to switch to a different university, especially if the course content appeals to you more.
However, just bear in mind the pros and the cons of switching university.
Firstly, commuting can be extremely boring, depressing and costly and in turn, could effect your grades. However, if you live an hour or so away, there really is little point of you moving into halls. Perhaps look into travel costs and do a bit of a cost benefit analysis? :biggrin:
Also, moving to a new uni could have the same issues as your current uni, especially since you may not make friends, as you will be in an environment where everyone knows each other...but this could also be an advantage as you could potentially create friends, so its really hard to say :/
I really would visit Brunel and talk to someone about the course and your current situation. This is just so that it benefits you, as if you later find the course boring and find yourself lonely, you are at more of a disadvantage than you were before (due to commuting).

However, personally, i'd transfer to Brunel :smile:

Good luck in your decision and sorry for rambling!
Reply 3
I still need a bit of advice... I'm going to make my decision very soon.

I have the offer from Brunel to transfer. But I don't know if it will be the right decision.

Yes, I didn't like the first year at City University but what if it improves? But at the same time, it could get worse...

If I join Brunel, what if it's worse? But at the same time... it could be a lot better.

Another thing that's just making me think twice is travel. Brunel is further to travel so I'll be spending more money to travel, however a long journey may be good as i can study on the train. Living out isn't really an option right now.

They pretty much cover the same modules apart from 1 or 2... But of course the experience from the first year at City is pulling me away from there. As I said, it could get better but is it worth the risk?

Thoughts please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending