The Student Room Group

After receiving A-Level results?

Was just wondering, after you receive your results and get into your firm University, do A-Levels matter anymore? Will you need to provide results in the future? Will they be used when applying for internships, jobs etc.. or now that you have received them, that's it?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Yes they are quite important for seeking jobs, especially if you want to go into a graduate profession where they ask for a certain number of ucas points. I think most is 340 for the top Corporate Law firms and for IB it is similarly high (I think). For the rest of the normal graduate schemes it varies with the lowest being 300 unless you want to go into technology where it gets lower.

So yeah you need them to get past some filters when applying for jobs.
Reply 2
They'll still be useful for applying for jobs, or if you don't finish your degree for what ever reason.

Employers still like to see them, even if you have a degree.
They definitely matter, yeah, particularly when applying for jobs but there are lots of other things they'd take into account and obviously your degree is what an employer would probably be most interested in. A Levels would be taken into account though I reckon, especially if what you're applying for is quite academic/competitive, like a doctor or a teacher etc. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DayDreamer1403
They definitely matter, yeah, particularly when applying for jobs but there are lots of other things they'd take into account and obviously your degree is what an employer would probably be most interested in. A Levels would be taken into account though I reckon, especially if what you're applying for is quite academic/competitive, like a doctor or a teacher etc. :smile:

Engineering? XD And thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Kutta
Yes they are quite important for seeking jobs, especially if you want to go into a graduate profession where they ask for a certain number of ucas points. I think most is 340 for the top Corporate Law firms and for IB it is similarly high (I think). For the rest of the normal graduate schemes it varies with the lowest being 300 unless you want to go into technology where it gets lower.

So yeah you need them to get past some filters when applying for jobs.

Just wondering, for Engineering prospects? BTW does the UCAS points score employers want include the fourth As level i've done? I have 360 including my As grade, and 320 without
Reply 6
Original post by Enginerd.
Just wondering, for Engineering prospects? BTW does the UCAS points score employers want include the fourth As level i've done? I have 360 including my As grade, and 320 without

They normally state it on their website. I think most exclude general studies and critical studies. Then it depends on what they say, some will some wont take into account AS. For Law I not dont think they look at AS.

But with 320 ABB? You should be fine in my opinion :smile:
From my work experience (Asset management), they said everyone gets 2:1 so either having outstanding A-Levels or a 1st help differentiate you.
Reply 8
Original post by NedStark
From my work experience (Asset management), they said everyone gets 2:1 so either having outstanding A-Levels or a 1st help differentiate you.

Will it be worth resitting an A-level module whilst in University on top of my studies to get a potential A* in an A-Level? (very likely) I will be doing a foundation year (starting next month as i didn't pick a correct subject), to help me just a wee bit more when applying for potential jobs in the future.
Reply 9
Original post by Kutta
They normally state it on their website. I think most exclude general studies and critical studies. Then it depends on what they say, some will some wont take into account AS. For Law I not dont think they look at AS.

But with 320 ABB? You should be fine in my opinion :smile:

Yep ABB, and thanks for the help!
Will it be worth resitting an A-level module whilst in University on top of my studies to get a potential A* in an A-Level? (very likely) I will be doing a foundation year (starting next month as i didn't pick a correct subject), to help me just a wee bit more when applying for potential jobs in the future.

I'd say go for it, they won't know you resat the module at University so an A* will look good. But I'm just a year 12 still so I'm not 100% sure. But my I'm definite on my first post.
Reply 11
Original post by NedStark
I'd say go for it, they won't know you resat the module at University so an A* will look good. But I'm just a year 12 still so I'm not 100% sure. But my I'm definite on my first post.

I will see, depending on the work load of the foundation year, if i can handle the extra exam i will, if not, ill just work hard on the current ones.
Reply 12
As long as you get the required points.

From then your CV, interview skills, internal testing, degree classification and experience comes to play.

Basically your a levels and degree kind of filters you when applying, as many employers ask for 2:1 or above, so even if your Oxford grad with a 2:2, chances are tight. From then they may be considered less important.

Work experience > a resit which MAY bump an A to A*
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Jkizer
As long as you get the required points.

From then your CV, interview skills, internal testing, degree classification and experience comes to play.

Basically your a levels and degree kind of filters you when applying, as many employers ask for 2:1 or above, so even if your Oxford grad with a 2:2, chances are tight. From then they may be considered less important.

Work experience > a resit which MAY bump an A to A*

Thanks for the pointers, but surely if A-Levels filter you when applying, and you may have needed that A* to apply to that job in the first place then Work Experience will not have counted in the first place, only count IF your A-Levels are up to scratch. Lol
Reply 14
Thanks for the pointers, but surely if A-Levels filter you when applying, and you may have needed that A* to apply to that job in the first place then Work Experience will not have counted in the first place, only count IF your A-Levels are up to scratch. Lol

From talks, I believe its very rare for firms to ask for greater than 340 points which is something like AAB(?) (May also include AS sometimes)
However thats the MAX for the really high end firms who make cooperate profits in the millions. As long as you got a reasonable set of grades, it shouldnt be much a problem.

Of course points vary a lot from industries, so i would check your relevant links to see what they ask for, and see if its really worth the time and money to attempt a resit.
Reply 15
Original post by Jkizer
From talks, I believe its very rare for firms to ask for greater than 340 points which is something like AAB(?) (May also include AS sometimes)
However thats the MAX for the really high end firms who make cooperate profits in the millions. As long as you got a reasonable set of grades, it shouldnt be much a problem.

Of course points vary a lot from industries, so i would check your relevant links to see what they ask for, and see if its really worth the time and money to attempt a resit.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I will try getting more information and advice from my lecturers and advisers at University just to make sure it's actually worth it, if not i'll concentrate more on the other aspects e.g. Interview techniques etc.

Quick Reply

Latest