The Student Room Group

Missed Oxford Law offer, got in by skin of teeth. Poor A-Level/Law Career hopes over.

Hey all.

First and foremost, I would just to like to stress that this post should not be misconstrued due to the sensitive timing of it. Basically, this morning like many other students I logged onto UCAS Track and saw 'Congratulations your place at X uni has been confirmed'... My firm choice was Oxford, so I was extremely happy and assumed that I had got at least AAA or higher. So, I was feeling very chilled when I got my results. Famous last words. I was met with ABB?! Thought it was a cruel joke

I was horrified. I was sure that Oxford must have made a mistake in accepting me and kept waiting for an email from UCAS to inform me that the track update was a mistake, but they hadn't. I could only assume that it was down to my LNAT score, my mitigating circumstances which I had informed them of prior to results day or the fact that I had missed the 2 As by a matter of 1 and 3 UMS. The 2Bs are being remarked but not optimistic. I don't think that I really should be going to Oxford if I'm honest. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone at my college that I got ABB, quite possibly would have the lowest grades at the college. Just feel like I'd be punching above my weight on a course with some people who have A*A*A*A*,but that is obviously a different discussion. I question whether I'm even capable of a 2.1.. With ABB, I could quite easily be going to Oxford brookes an ex poly instead, so I feel a urge to tell people I'm not smart when they congratulate me for getting a place. I think I could have lived with AAB, but ABB is just not the sort of grades that I'd be getting.

To make this relevant to the legal forum, I had wanted to be a solicitor at a city firm, but almost all of the top 40 firms ask for AAB which I clearly don't have. I just feel like I'm doomed before I've started the degree, as I will be binned from the word go. I will obviously go ahead with the degree but I'd like to set my aspirations from now, since with the aforementioned grades, I accept that one of the more highly sought after firms will be beyond my grasp. I don't think I can imagine myself anywhere but London, are places like Pinsent Masons still a possibility?, all other things being good.

Thanks for any advice.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Michael345
Hey all.

First and foremost, I would just to like to stress that this post should not be misconstrued due to the sensitive timing of it. Basically, this morning like many other students I logged onto UCAS Track and saw 'Congratulations your place at X uni has been confirmed'... My firm choice was Oxford, so I was extremely happy and assumed that I had got at least AAA or higher. So, I was feeling very chilled when I got my results. Famous last words. I was met with ABB?! Thought it was a cruel joke

I was horrified. I was sure that Oxford must have made a mistake in accepting me and kept waiting for an email from UCAS to inform me that the track update was a mistake, but they hadn't. I could only assume that it was down to my LNAT score, my mitigating circumstances which I had informed them of prior to results day or the fact that I had missed the 2 As by a matter of 1 and 3 UMS. The 2Bs are being remarked but not optimistic. I don't think that I really should be going to Oxford if I'm honest. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone at my college that I got ABB, quite possibly would have the lowest grades at the college. Just feel like I'd be punching above my weight on a course with some people who have A*A*A*A*,but that is obviously a different discussion. I question whether I'm even capable of a 2.1.. With ABB, I could quite easily be going to Oxford brookes an ex poly instead, so I feel a urge to tell people I'm not smart when they congratulate me for getting a place. I think I could have lived with AAB, but ABB is just not the sort of grades that I'd be getting.

To make this relevant to the legal forum, I had wanted to be a solicitor at a city firm, but almost all of the top 40 firms ask for AAB which I clearly don't have. I just feel like I'm doomed before I've started the degree, as I will be binned from the word go. I will obviously go ahead with the degree but I'd like to set my aspirations from now, since with the aforementioned grades, I accept that one of the more highly sought after firms will be beyond my grasp. I don't think I can imagine myself anywhere but London, are places like Pinsent Masons still a possibility?, all other things being good.

Thanks for any advice.

I personally wouldn't shortchange myself if I was in your shoes! For a start, your LNAT shows you're perfectly capable of doing just as well as a person who have outrageous A Level marks. Also, you only just missed the 2 As, so I wouldn't feel as if you're worse than those who got them. Instead, I'd be itching to start the wonderful opportunity you've been given at Oxford... and you're on a level playing field really. Not many will have studied Law to a high level, so you're no worse off.

As for your worries about your A Level grades, you can always remark them. If that doesn't come back in your favour, you can simple retake a dodgy unit in each of the two subjects and you only have to improve by 1 or 2 marks and you'll get your A. :smile: If not... i'm sure a First will excuse you (Y)

The main thing is this: You got your place - Well Done!:smile:
You got a place at Oxford to do Law; an incredible achievement.

These people have been picking students based on aptitiude for a long time; they know what they are doing.
You may have missed the grades, but they clearly think you are up to studying Law with them.

I feel your pain on missing out grades by a few marks - its frustrating to be so close and yet for it to feel so far away.
I only managed to get 3 B's with two very close to A's and a third only let down by one bad exam, yet I'm studying Law at Northumbria.

This is a brilliant opportunity. Grab it with both hands.
Just walk into Oxford like you own the place and you'll be fine.

A degree for Oxford, especially a first, will stand you in good stead with any future job holder.
The results may slightly dampen the attitudes of firms when looking at you, but the degree comes well ahead of the A Level results, and I think good work experience is a close second in terms of importance. Join a debating society, get involved in a moot and it should be fine.
Original post by Gallifreyan95
You got a place at Oxford to do Law; an incredible achievement.

These people have been picking students based on aptitiude for a long time; they know what they are doing.
You may have missed the grades, but they clearly think you are up to studying Law with them.

I feel your pain on missing out grades by a few marks - its frustrating to be so close and yet for it to feel so far away.
I only managed to get 3 B's with two very close to A's and a third only let down by one bad exam, yet I'm studying Law at Northumbria.

This is a brilliant opportunity. Grab it with both hands.
Just walk into Oxford like you own the place and you'll be fine.

A degree for Oxford, especially a first, will stand you in good stead with any future job holder.
The results may slightly dampen the attitudes of firms when looking at you, but the degree comes well ahead of the A Level results, and I think good work experience is a close second in terms of importance. Join a debating society, get involved in a moot and it should be fine.

True, but if you can't get past the filters, well you're ****ed.
Original post by Michael345
I was sure that Oxford must have made a mistake in accepting me and kept waiting for an email from UCAS to inform me that the track update was a mistake, but they hadn't. I could only assume that it was down to my LNAT score, my mitigating circumstances which I had informed them of prior to results day or the fact that I had missed the 2 As by a matter of 1 and 3 UMS. The 2Bs are being remarked but not optimistic. I don't think that I really should be going to Oxford if I'm honest. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone at my college that I got ABB, quite possibly would have the lowest grades at the college. Just feel like I'd be punching above my weight on a course with some people who have A*A*A*A*,but that is obviously a different discussion. I question whether I'm even capable of a 2.1.

Every training contract application I've filled in has had a section asking if there were any mitigating circumstances for your exam results - it sounds like you've got some so don't get too caught up in stressing about it. Do put the effort into applying for work experience and vac schemes so that you can round out your application.

A bigger issue for me is your concern that you're not 'good enough' for Oxford. You are. They wouldn't have offered you a place otherwise, and the fact that they have confirmed your place despite your A-levels shows that you weren't a borderline candidate.

I went to Cambridge, and if there was one thing I learnt, it's that you have to have confidence in your own abilities from the start. Believe that you're meant to be there and attack your studies from day one and you'll be fine.
What a dispiriting thread this is!
Michael345

Weren't your exam results affected by your mitigating circumstances? So, were you not in line for an AAA? In which case, your ABB is a result of your mitigating circumstances rather than any academic lack?
Reply 7
Original post by DownToTheRiver
Every training contract application I've filled in has had a section asking if there were any mitigating circumstances for your exam results - it sounds like you've got some so don't get too caught up in stressing about it. Do put the effort into applying for work experience and vac schemes so that you can round out your application.

A bigger issue for me is your concern that you're not 'good enough' for Oxford. You are. They wouldn't have offered you a place otherwise, and the fact that they have confirmed your place despite your A-levels shows that you weren't a borderline candidate.

I went to Cambridge, and if there was one thing I learnt, it's that you have to have confidence in your own abilities from the start. Believe that you're meant to be there and attack your studies from day one and you'll be fine.

Totally agree with this. Relax, go to university, work hard and you will be just fine.
Reply 8
No one with any sense at Oxford asks how you did in your A levels after about the first week. Your performance and ability is judged on...well...your performance and ability. :smile:
Reply 9
You just have to turn the disappointment into a positive. Most people will face adversity at some point, but it's how you handle it that makes you. I had relatively poor GCSE results (5 A's, 5 B's and a C) and remember feeling completely disheartened. I resolved to pick up myself up from this and succeed in the future and came out with a First at University. Sometimes you just have a bad period in your life, some poor results come through but you know you can do better and that's all that matters.

You will likely come across some people who will look down on you at University for your results (which is terrible given that your results are great), but just have nothing to do with them. If that's their character, then consider yourself lucky to have revealed that side of them and be glad you aren't wasting your time making friends with them.
Reply 10
I think you should be extremely proud of your self and happy with what you got! Only A level students know how hard it is to obtain 2A's! Getting a place in oxford is amazing! so congrats! A lot of people will look up to you!

Im an aspiring lawyer and am thinking of applying for a top uni.. would you be able to help me with my personal statement please? perhaps inbox me? I would be extremely grateful
Reply 11
Original post by DownToTheRiver

Thank you so much, you're an angel. I was under the impression that the A-Level Qs pop up immediately, so I figured that I wouldn't even be able to fill out any applications as I'd not be able to progress further due to lacking 340 UCAS Points. I have mitigating circumstances, but not bereavement /life threatening related so I don't think it'd help me out much three years down the line.

I just feel inadequate because as I've said I could quite easily be at Oxford Brookes with my grades. For example, my friend ended up with BBB missed Bristol offer and is now holding offers from Derby and Hull.

I just feel like if my first piece of assessed work is a 2:2 instead of being able to think 'ah I can improve next time, I'll just see it as confirmation that I shouldn't be at Oxford with those grades. I know I should be elated that I essentially got away with murder, but I dunno my exam technique must be awful as I had felt confident about the exams and being in the midst of A*A*A* pupils is daunting. Do you not think A-Levels are a great indicator of performance at Oxbridge (hard question to answer since most people do have great A-Levels)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
"Do you not think A-Levels are a great indicator of performance at Oxbridge (hard question to answer since most people do have great A-Levels)"

No. Because:

(a) People change and develop massively over three or four years. One's performance in finals doesn't need to bear any resemblance to one's performance in A-levels.

(b) The skills needed for A-levels are not exactly the same as those needed for finals or assessed coursework.

I only just scraped into Oxford on the basis of my A-levels. I achieved a decent 2:1, have a GDL and BPTC, and a pupillage to the Bar. So don't worry! The only thing that will cause you problems is if you go into your college with a sense of inferiority to begin with. Work hard, have fun, and you'll be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Why are people negging the OP?

His concerns are very valid?
Original post by Cutmeloose
Why are people negging the OP?

His concerns are very valid?

Because it's melodramatic.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter

Exactly. I'd take it as the biggest compliment in the world if I got a confirmed place at Oxford for law with ABB.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter

No it's not. 80% of the top 30 law firms request 340 UCAS Points (AAB) He may well struggle to find firms that he feels 'worthy' of getting into should he succeed at Oxford.

Assuming he goes and nails Oxford, what good will it do him when he can't get past the filters. HR don't give a **** if it's Oxford or Kent, they won't let you apply.

Why shouldn't he feel worried about him if he can cope when A*A*A*A* is par for the course at Oxford for Law. It's natural for him to feel insecure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cutmeloose
...when A*A*A*A* is par for the course at Oxford for Law...

I'm curious as to how this works. The entry requirements clearly state AAA, do they not? Or is the actual system not like that at all?
Original post by BarackObama
I'm curious as to how this works. The entry requirements clearly state AAA, do they not? Or is the actual system not like that at all?

Requirements may be AAA, but the average law student at Oxford has over 576 UCAS Points. I'm guessing on average A*AA+ at A-Level or more. Well, entry requirements don't always correlate with results. Strongest students in general go to Oxford hence they get the best grades..
Oh, okay. Do you know what the figures are like for less "popular" subjects, such as theology for instance? Is there anywhere I can look at these?

Quick Reply