The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Do you use Rosetta Stone? I've never used it, but even if I liked I think it's very expensive. Regarding the text in bold; I bet that you come out of Waterstones tomorrow with an armful of both Swedish and Norwegian books! A linguist in a bookshop about to choose their next language is like a greedy fat kid in a cake shop; he wants everything he sees! :biggrin:

Hmm, meowage has a point. Perhaps I can destable the thread by collaborating with a few other members to post in some obscure language like...Manx. :ninja:

The conditions for those milestones were created with very optimistic and conducive environments in mind...but I love the fact that the German language has its only special little category. A testament to it's gruelling grammar, obviously. :wink:

I've just crumbled and bought The Fault in Our Stars in Spanish!! If you haven't read it (anyone!!!) you should, it's awesome!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The conditions for those milestones were created with very optimistic and conducive environments in mind...but I love the fact that the German language has its only special little category. A testament to it's gruelling grammar, obviously. :wink:
Don't say that. I'm focusing on their testimony that French and Danish are easier than German to keep me going, no matter what my own personal circumstances are!
Do you use Rosetta Stone? I've never used it, but even if I liked I think it's very expensive. Regarding the text in bold; I bet that you come out of Waterstones tomorrow with an armful of both Swedish and Norwegian books! A linguist in a bookshop about to choose their next language is like a greedy fat kid in a cake shop; he wants everything he sees! :biggrin:

Yes, it's great as it's the way I learn, I struggle with books :frown:

:lol: I hope not, I couldn't do that to my poor brain :tongue:
Talking about Destable...:tongue:

VAN HARTE GEFELICITEERD MET JE VERJAARDAG VIONARRRR

:grin: Tootoo
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Kannst du mein Franzoesisch korrigieren, bitte?

I only just noticed that I didn't conect the que and il first time around, so.... aargh...

I think you want m'enseigner, but don't quote me :wink:
Reply 6165
Haha! No, I beg to differ. Although it is funny that you mention that. Before learning German and it's third person pronoun 'man' which means 'one', as in, 'where would one find the Bratwurst (how cliché) I never used 'one' in English, in writing or in speech. I'm from the North and obviously it never gets used here (you'd be beaten to death with flatcaps for collaborating with them there Southerners) but now I find using 'you' for every situation is so cumbersome in English, and using 'one' is more much refined.

Blaaaaaaaaaaa I told you I was a language nerd. :h:

Hahahaha the bold is so true! :rofl2:
Hubby? Euw. Je ne suis pas d'imbecile à la facebook!

I think he would explode if I picked an A-level student over him, sorry!

You're not married?

:rofl: I'm a GCSE student :smug: but he has a maths degree :sigh:
Reply 6167
Original post by tehFrance
Bitteschön :h:

Ah really? Damn :lol: I just read a couple of articles in Norwegian and I seem to be able to get the jist of things so I may go with it rather than Swedish although I keep going to Stockholm but Norwegian is apparently easier to learn if you know English and German... so confusing :lol:

Swedish is actually the one that was recommended to me because of my (prior) level in German.

Has Ronove been around lately?

:awesome:

Original post by thatitootoo
She's not graced the thread this week! I feel a little bit lost without her </3 :frown: RONEYYYY

My mum and sister are over as of yesterday. Fun times!
Reply 6168
Beat you to it, Octo! :tongue:

Eh? If Norwegian is the middle ground then shouldn't you study Norwegian and not Swedish? Your post roughly sums up what I have read about the nordic languages. Actually, I've heard Danish described as 'a mixture of guttural sounds, spoken as if one has a hot potato in your mouth', haha! Though I doubt that to be true it made me laugh. Don't forget with Norwegian, you have Bokmal and Nynorsk. Reading up about the two makes for an interesting read.

Start believing. :wink:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You're not married?

:rofl: I'm a GCSE student :smug: but he has a maths degree :sigh:

Je suis mariée, but I don't use that word. It's a bit cutesy. I associate it with people making ostentatious posts on facebook ("my hubby looked after the kids to keep me a break today"- So, you mean he doesn't normally take an equal role in his children's upbringing?), and girls trying to make their relationship with their boyfriend of six months sound serious, shortly before their acrimonious break-up (on facebook).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Swedish is actually the one that was recommended to me because of my (prior) level in German.

My mum and sister are over as of yesterday. Fun times!

Gezellig :tongue:

Je suis mariée, but I don't use that word. It's a bit cutesy. I associate it with people making ostentatious posts on facebook ("my hubby looked after the kids to keep me a break today"- So, you mean he doesn't normally take an equal role in his children's upbringing?), and girls trying to make their relationship with their boyfriend of six months sound serious.

Oh right... Sorry, your "marital partner" :bigsmile: :colone:
Oh right... Sorry, your "marital partner" :bigsmile: :colone:
Husband/mari and spouse/époux are fine, thank you.:biggrin:

De rien!

Je dois dire... Tu aimes faire les généralisations, non?:mmm:
De rien!

Je dois dire... Tu aimes faire les généralisations, non?:mmm:
Now, now, now. I was very careful. I explained I hated the word because I associate it with those people, and I made sure not to make any actual claims.:tongue:
Original post by Ronove

Really? From what I've read, Norwegian seems best :s-smilie:
Now, now, now. I was very careful. I explained I hated the word because I associate it with those people, and I made sure not to make any actual claims.:tongue:

:teehee: I mean generally though, you do :mmm:

Dw, I do too :colone:
Reply 6177
Husband/mari and spouse/époux are fine, thank you.:biggrin:

I was about to ask whether 'husband' as opposed to 'hubby' was fine. Being engaged is worse... I just call him my other half, my partner or my kæreste (boyfriend) in Danish. Fiancé is so bloody pretentious...
Reply 6178
Original post by tehFrance
Really? From what I've read, Norwegian seems best :s-smilie:

This advice was from a (now) Professor of German Linguistics, so I trust it quite a lot. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
I was about to ask whether 'husband' as opposed to 'hubby' was fine. Being engaged is worse... I just call him my other half, my partner or my kæreste (boyfriend) in Danish. Fiancé is so bloody pretentious...
Es gibt etwas Schlechtes *with pretentiousness? :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending