The Student Room Group

i got BBBD, i am predicted AABC is there any chance i can get into an AAB/AAA uni?

hey guys,i just got my results for AS.
I got B in Sociology
Psychology
Spanish
but a D in Maths.
I have already talked to my teachers and they told me they will predict me AABC.I am also thinking of retaking one module in maths.So my question is,can i get into an AAB/AAA university like Plymouth,Aston,Surrey or Royal Holoway with the grades i got and the grades i am predicted?and ,whats more important when universities decide whether to accept u or not, the grades u got or the predicted grades?thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, you've just got to work a bit harder. All of those that you've listed are possible because i have noticed a few of those which are quite lenient like royal holloway although it does depend on the course

If you ended up with ABB for an AAB course even you still have an alright chance if you chose clearing
(edited 10 years ago)
It varies from university to university. However, there is no need to take 4 A levels to get into university- would you be better off dropping maths and focusing on bringing your other grades up?
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It varies from university to university. However, there is no need to take 4 A levels to get into university- would you be better off dropping maths and focusing on bringing your other grades up?
well i want to do psychology in university and if i wanna apply to a good uni i need 'hard' subjects,right?i think i can bring maths up to a B if i work hard and retake one module.but if i was to drop one subject i would think of droping either spanish or sociology.but im confused here too, cos spanish is a 'hard'subjects but sociology is more similar to psychology.....so....what would u advice? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Alexok
Yeah, you've just got to work a bit harder. All of those that you've listed are possible because i have noticed a few of those which are quite lenient like royal holloway although it does depend on the course

If you ended up with ABB for an AAB course even you still have an alright chance if you chose clearing
i want to do psychology....so hopefully they are more lenient about this course....?
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, I got ABBC at AS and ABC at A2 and got into UEA which is a top 20 uni and I needed AAB to get in :smile:. It's not all about grades sometimes (Unless you totally fail, which you wont!). So just apply, stay within your reach and be realistic with what you choose
Reply 6
Original post by und3niable_
Yes, I got ABBC at AS and ABC at A2 and got into UEA which is a top 20 uni and I needed AAB to get in :smile:. It's not all about grades sometimes (Unless you totally fail, which you wont!). So just apply, stay within your reach and be realistic with what you choose
thank you for your advice and for encouraging me :smile:
Original post by flavia96
thank you for your advice and for encouraging me :smile:

You're welcome and good luck. I advise you take the AAB subjects for A2 because my biggest regret was taking my 'C' subject although I enjoyed it and got an A at A2 because the grade stayed the same
Reply 8
Plymouth University is very good for Psychology :smile: I've finished my A2's and have BBC but my offer was ABB and I got in anyway! Plymouth was however my firm AND insurance, so that increased my odds. ( a lot ).
I got B in Sociology
Psychology
Spanish
but a D in Maths.
I have already talked to my teachers and they told me they will predict me AABC.I am also thinking of retaking one module in maths.So my question is,can i get into an AAB/AAA university like Plymouth,Aston,Surrey or Royal Holoway with the grades i got and the grades i am predicted?and ,whats more important when universities decide whether to accept u or not, the grades u got or the predicted grades?thanks in advance :smile:

You don't need to worry too much. You need normally three good A Levels to get into an average university. If you're really that worried stay another year at your college or sixth form and only take subjects that you have strengths in. Last year I managed to get into university with an ACC (one of those was GS). So on average you've got better grades than me. Trust me, you don't need to worry just work harder that's the only real thing you can do. But good luck though! :smile:
well i want to do psychology in university and if i wanna apply to a good uni i need 'hard' subjects,right?i think i can bring maths up to a B if i work hard and retake one module.but if i was to drop one subject i would think of droping either spanish or sociology.but im confused here too, cos spanish is a 'hard'subjects but sociology is more similar to psychology.....so....what would u advice? :smile:

To do psychology as a BSc (which is what most courses are now) you will probably need at least 2 science/maths subjects. Psychology counts as one, so you will need to keep maths to meet this requirement. I would then drop whichever out of spanish and sociology you enjoy the least. I think you'll stand a better chance of getting your grades if you focus on only three A levels. It's not usual or expected to do 4 A2s.
Reply 11
I got B in Sociology
Psychology
Spanish
but a D in Maths.

You make your own chances buddy dont let anyone tell you otherwise.What i am trying to say is offcourse there is every chance that you get those grades it largely dependent on how hard you work your motivation,ambition,work ethic,etc although if you want to go to an AAA uni ask your teachers to predict you AAA if they dont get your parents involved or just beg. Promise them one of your limbs for that prediction etc
Reply 12
Yes, youre likely to get offers as youre predicted to get AAB and thats all that matters. And even if you end up with ABB, you should get taken due to the unlimited ABB students rule!

It varies depending on the course and the uni but I dont see too many reasons why not :smile: Good Luck!
Reply 13
I got exactly the same as you at AS (different subjects, except for the D in maths) and also got the same predictions, and yesterday I got accepted to Southampton who asked for AAB or ABB with an A in the extended project. I did the extended project and got an A* which lowered my offer, but I'm sure you'd get an offer for AAB.

edit: I forgot to add, I also got an offer from Exeter who asked for AAB although I declined in the end. So it's definitely possible. Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
I got into Aston yesterday. Needed BBB, but got accepted. Went to school to check what I got and I got BCC (albeit the two C's were quite close to being a B).

Mate of mine yesterday got into Royal Holloway with BCC when he needed ABB, his grades were few marks off the next grade though.

Certainly uni's do take people on when they miss their grade, you just have to hope you are one of them!
Reply 15
thank you so much everyone for your advices and for giving me hope!!!!I will work as hard as possible next year and meet my predicted grades :biggrin:
Reply 16
I got B in Sociology
Psychology
Spanish
but a D in Maths.

The predicted grades are the most valued part of the application. It will be difficult to be accepted by an AAA course, as you are not on track to receiving those grades as shown by your predictions. However, you will likely receive offers from AAB universities with those predictions providing other areas of your application are done well, such as your personal statement, and the teacher references are adequate.

Universities can give out more offers than they have spaces, as not all people will meet the conditions of the offer. Therefore, with predictions of AAB it is likely you will receive the offer. You would need to retake exams next summer from your AS in order to achieve AAB, however.

If you exceed your predictions and get AAA, you can call up universities with the entry requirements of AAA and ask if there are spaces on the course, even if you didn't apply via UCAS initially. There is a chance you will be accepted to these courses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I wonder if anyone could answer me to whether they think I could get into a university that I need AAA

I achieved a high a in history, one ums off an a in maths and one ums off a b in biology (both of which I'm remarking so hopefully will go up). English lit came as a surprise as I got a d, a in coursework and a u in the exam. However the school is outraged and demanding a year remark so if all goes well I may end up at either AAAB or AABB.

But at the moment I'm at ABCD. My teachers have agreed to predict me 3 A's even maybe an A* for history. Will I get an offer from the unis I want to apply to!
Reply 18
Hey sorry to twist this thread a little, but I also just received my AS results and am in need of some advice. I managed an A in biology (90%) an A in psychology (83%) a B in English lit (78%) and a C in chemistry (69% 1 ums off a B) I'm going to get chemistry remarked so hopefully I end up with AABB. I am also going to drop chemistry next year and take up the EPQ. Although I'm very pleased with my results, I had to do do 2 modular results in unit 1 biology and chemistry respectively in which I got a C and an E first time around. I'm not sure what my predictions will be next year but I'm just worried that I won't achieve them. Especially as there will no longer be January exams.
I am currently looking at applying for psychology at Nottingham (AAB), Royal Holloway (AAA), Kent (AAB), Cardiff (AAB), Exeter (AAA) , and maybe Bangor (280-340 ums) as a safe option. I am also considering UCL (A*AA). Do you think it is possible for me to achieve these grades and get offers from the above universities or would applying there be unwise? Also, do you think Bangor will be too safe an option? Which if these universities do you think I'd be most likely to get an offer from :-)
Thanks so much for any replies I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by tiajacob
Hey sorry to twist this thread a little, but I also just received my AS results and am in need of some advice. I managed an A in biology (90%) an A in psychology (83%) a B in English lit (78%) and a C in chemistry (69% 1 ums off a B) I'm going to get chemistry remarked so hopefully I end up with AABB. I am also going to drop chemistry next year and take up the EPQ. Although I'm very pleased with my results, I had to do do 2 modular results in unit 1 biology and chemistry respectively in which I got a C and an E first time around. I'm not sure what my predictions will be next year but I'm just worried that I won't achieve them. Especially as there will no longer be January exams.
I am currently looking at applying for psychology at Nottingham (AAB), Royal Holloway (AAA), Kent (AAB), Cardiff (AAB), Exeter (AAA) , and maybe Bangor (280-340 ums) as a safe option. I am also considering UCL (A*AA). Do you think it is possible for me to achieve these grades and get offers from the above universities or would applying there be unwise? Also, do you think Bangor will be too safe an option? Which if these universities do you think I'd be most likely to get an offer from :-)
Thanks so much for any replies I really appreciate it :smile:
well....from the many threads i have read about university,results etc....i first have to congratulate you for your results!and tell you that predicted grades are really important....so if you wanna go to a uni with a*aa entry requirements,then you have to have predicted these grades.apparently many students get better results at A2 than at AS,so if u got As and Bs at AS im sure u can get A*s and As at A2 as long as you work a bit harder.Also,make sure you have a strong personal statement with work experience and all that.i am sure you will get offers from the above universities (even if it may not be from all of them :smile: )...i know i am not in university and don't have the experience to give advices about this but,lets be optimistic:biggrin:i wish you the best of luck !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending