The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epic Flawless
Woop, I got 4 As and a 98% UMS average. I'm slightly disappointed with not getting placed on the RES competition but I think Cambridge Econ is within my sights! =] How did everyone else do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on the 98%. Looks like Kings (Cam) is a long shot for me.

If you don't mind me asking, could you give us the UMS breakdown?
Original post by NedStark

Sure, here are my AS-Level results:

Mathematics: A with 300/300
C1: 100/100
C2: 100/100
S1: 100/100

Further Mathematics: A with 298/300
FP1: 98/100
M1: 100/100
S2: 100/100

Economics: A with 192/200
ECON1: 100/100
ECON2: 92/100

Physics: A with 290/300
PHYA1: 114/120
PHYA2: 116/120
PHYA3T: 60/60

Unused modules:
D1: 96/100
D2: 100/100

So yeah, I was really happy about them! :biggrin: Also, after watching the whole series of Game Of Thrones over the holidays, I now know where your user name is from. =]

How were your results mate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless
Sure, here are my AS-Level results:

Mathematics: A with 300/300
C1: 100/100
C2: 100/100
S1: 100/100

Further Mathematics: A with 298/300
FP1: 98/100
M1: 100/100
S2: 100/100

Economics: A with 192/200
ECON1: 100/100
ECON2: 92/100

Physics: A with 290/300
PHYA1: 114/120
PHYA2: 116/120
PHYA3T: 60/60

Unused modules:
D1: 96/100
D2: 100/100

So yeah, I was really happy about them! :biggrin: Also, after watching the whole series of Game Of Thrones over the holidays, I now know where your user name is from. =]

You must be absolutely gutted with FP1 haha. But seriously, wow nice results.

Good to see another Game of Thrones fan, can't wait for the next season though, it's taking too long to come out. :angry:
Original post by Bloxorus
How were your results mate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they were great, got 4A's which I wasn't expecting. Didn't see myself getting an A in Economics thanks to Unit 1 but I scraped that with 80/100.

If I'm going for Cambridge, best 3 were at 94% but Econ brings me down to 92%, which is still good but I have to say I was sort of hoping for more.

How about you? You were aiming for all A's weren't you?
I think they were great, got 4A's which I wasn't expecting. Didn't see myself getting an A in Economics thanks to Unit 1 but I scraped that with 80/100.

If I'm going for Cambridge, best 3 were at 94% but Econ brings me down to 92%, which is still good but I have to say I was sort of hoping for more.

got a C in Unit 1.. as you do :cool:

how'd you do in Unit 2 ?
Original post by Fas
got a C in Unit 1.. as you do :cool:

how'd you do in Unit 2 ?

Sorry to hear that, retaking it?

As for unit 2, got 98, really happy with that.

What about you?
Sorry to hear that, retaking it?

As for unit 2, got 98, really happy with that.

What about you?

going to have a look at the script first ( a photocopy ) see what went wrong - then if need be , remark it :smile: if that fails , then i will most likely retake it yes.

that's mint , got 94 on Unit 2 so i was really pleased with that ! especially as the grade boundaries were so high , makes it a bit more special.
Original post by Fas
going to have a look at the script first ( a photocopy ) see what went wrong - then if need be , remark it :smile: if that fails , then i will most likely retake it yes.

that's mint , got 94 on Unit 2 so i was really pleased with that ! especially as the grade boundaries were so high , makes it a bit more special.

Apparently you can't get a remark after getting the script but I'm probably wrong on that. You might want to ask someone to make sure.

Nice!! Well done!
Yep got all As so happy about that although my average of best 3 isn't great (88%). Just had a couple of bad exams that brought it down loads (80 in C1 and a b in a physics module).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
Nice!! Well done!
Yep got all As so happy about that although my average of best 3 isn't great (88%). Just had a couple of bad exams that brought it down loads (80 in C1 and a b in a physics module).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same a couple of exams, I pretty disappointed with. Physics 1 is bringing me down a lot. I might get that remarked but it's near a B grade, which is a risky remark. I thought I did well on it, especially since it was the one paper I worked the hardest on.
Reply 551
Guys I got AAAC at AS. My Subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Economics and the C was in English Literature, it seems that everyone (atleast from my school) performed really poorly on this exam. Anyway is it still worth applying to Oxford E and M or LSE/Warwick Econ?
Original post by SuDa2103
Guys I got AAAC at AS. My Subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Economics and the C was in English Literature, it seems that everyone (atleast from my school) performed really poorly on this exam. Anyway is it still worth applying to Oxford E and M or LSE/Warwick Econ?

You have a good chance for Oxford and LSE however I checked Warwicks Economics requirements and here is what it says:
A*AA plus A at AS-level (for candidates with three A2s and at least one AS).

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/l100/#course-tab-3

However you've only achieved a C at AS (Assuming that you're dropping English Literature) so I'm not totally sure you've met those requirements.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 553
Original post by Dilzo999
You have a good chance for Oxford and LSE however I checked Warwicks Economics requirements and here is what it says:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/l100/#course-tab-3

However you've only achieved a C at AS (Assuming that you're dropping English Literature) so I'm not totally sure you've met those requirements.

Yes that is true but my plan is to take an extra as next year (probably history). Im just worried about the effect the C has on my as record
Reply 554
Original post by Dilzo999
N
Agreed 82 for C2 and 95 and 93 for M1 and C1 completely dropped it down. D1 also dropped my Further Maths from 90% to 84 % as I got 90, 89 and 73 in S2, FP1 and D1 :frown:.

Original post by Fas
same bud , C2 was my lowest score ! ( 85 ums )

Lol at least you guys got reasonable / highish scores! I completely flopped the exam with a C :cry:
Yes that is true but my plan is to take an extra as next year (probably history). Im just worried about the effect the C has on my as record

You could always take it as a 4th subject, then Warwick would want A*AAB, but that's just an option.

If you want my advice, I'd email the UG admissions at Warwick and explain yourself to them. They should tell you if they wouldn't mind an extra AS level. They definitely helped me out when I emailed them.
Reply 556
Hey guys, I would really appreciate if anyone could sort of predict my chances of getting into KCL with the AS grades I just achieved. I'm really interested in studying Politics of the International Economy. The grade requirements are AAA..

So my AS grades are AACC - A's in Economics & Biology and C's In Maths & Chemistry. I didn't do as well as I hoped to, but how are those as grades? I don't have much of an indication. I'll be retaking Maths for sure and was planning to drop Chem initially too.

I think my predicted grades will be AAB or A* A B (High A in AS Econ) .. Do you think that could somehow weigh out the AAA requirements if in addition to that, I try and put together an amazing personal statement? I've done so much that is geared towards this course in particular.. or will they just not consider me?

You don't have to be nice :P I can handle honesty.. I hope!
Thank you!
Original post by Ritikaaurora
Hey guys, I would really appreciate if anyone could sort of predict my chances of getting into KCL with the AS grades I just achieved. I'm really interested in studying Politics of the International Economy. The grade requirements are AAA..

So my AS grades are AACC - A's in Economics & Biology and C's In Maths & Chemistry. I didn't do as well as I hoped to, but how are those as grades? I don't have much of an indication. I'll be retaking Maths for sure and was planning to drop Chem initially too.

I think my predicted grades will be AAB or A* A B (High A in AS Econ) .. Do you think that could somehow weigh out the AAA requirements if in addition to that, I try and put together an amazing personal statement? I've done so much that is geared towards this course in particular.. or will they just not consider me?

You don't have to be nice :P I can handle honesty.. I hope!
Thank you!

I've checked the requirements and I think you have a good shot if you retake maths and have good predicted grades. Now about the A*AB issue, the only way you can know is by e-mailing them.
Apparently you can't get a remark after getting the script but I'm probably wrong on that. You might want to ask someone to make sure.

if you call a photocopy of the script back , that returns by the 10th of september and then you request a remark.

the only time when you cannot remark is if you call the original script back.

aslong as you are predicted to score an A in it next year , Warwick can still make you the A*AAa offer :smile: i plan on doing the same as you , AS Further Maths next year hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending