The Student Room Group

Feeling disheartened

I got my AS results today.
Theatre - A
Economics - B
Maths - E
Further Maths - U

I really have no idea what to do now, and just need some advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Conflicter
Theatre - A
Economics - B
Maths - E
Further Maths - U

What were you hoping to do at uni
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
What were you hoping to do at uni

Social Policy
Reply 3
Social Policy

Ok

Lots of places want ABB with some wanting BBC

So you will probably drop FM, retake some Maths - ou should be able to get offers
Reply 4
What sort of grades were you hoping to get?

If its the maths you're worried about (and I'm guessing it is?) just know that it IS possible to turn it all around. Last year my boyfriend got an E in his AS maths but he really knuckled down this year and retook most of the modules and he managed to pull it up to an A :smile: Just know that is you have the determination you can pretty much get whatever you want :smile:
Well done on the A&B :smile:

Would it be possible for you to retake Maths and pick up another AS, while carrying on with Maths, Economics & Theatre for A2?
Reply 6
Ok

Lots of places want ABB with some wanting BBC

So you will probably drop FM, retake some Maths - ou should be able to get offers

Do you think it would be wise to try and retake maths whilst studying for A2?

Original post by Smidgey
What sort of grades were you hoping to get?

If its the maths you're worried about (and I'm guessing it is?) just know that it IS possible to turn it all around. Last year my boyfriend got an E in his AS maths but he really knuckled down this year and retook most of the modules and he managed to pull it up to an A :smile: Just know that is you have the determination you can pretty much get whatever you want :smile:

I was hoping to get AADU, but that didn't go to plan. I believe I can get AAC, but that's depending if my Sixth Form even allow to take maths next year... My teacher hasn't responded to my email.
Reply 7
Original post by I love shopping
Well done on the A&B :smile:

Would it be possible for you to retake Maths and pick up another AS, while carrying on with Maths, Economics & Theatre for A2?

Do I really need to have 4 AS's? And would you think it would be ok to retake maths AS whilst also doing A2?
Reply 8
Resit your maths exams, I'm assuming your school is letting you continue.
I'm sure you can pull the grades up :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Do you think it would be wise to try and retake maths whilst studying for A2?

yes
Original post by iambored
Not going to lie I am seriously depressed with my results...

Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
History - B

I also got 10 A*s at GCSE

I have been predicted AAA

Do you think I have a chance at going to Imperial, UCL, Oxford to do medicine? Or have my chances been ruined by my bad AS results??

Firstly, these are not bad AS results so chin up! They're really pretty great! :smile: Check the entry requirements on the uni websites and speak to your teachers - the 10 A*s definitely work in your favour for applying for medicine. I know that normally at AS medical schools require four As, but if you were close you could always go for remarks? As I said speak to your teachers, and remember there are always options :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by iambored
Not going to lie I am seriously depressed with my results...

Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
History - B

I also got 10 A*s at GCSE

I have been predicted AAA

Do you think I have a chance at going to Imperial, UCL, Oxford to do medicine? Or have my chances been ruined by my bad AS results??

They're not bad. You should be pleased, stop worrying ugh. They're AS, you have A2 to change the A's into B's, it all adds up so. Chill out
Reply 12
yes

Could you see them letting me do the A2 course with an E? Is it not unheard of for E students to continue a course?
Could you see them letting me do the A2 course with an E? Is it not unheard of for E students to continue a course?

I am working on an assumption

You were doing double maths = you were expected to do well

I have allowed students with an E to continue in either of 2 scenarios
> their target is a D/E
> they are good at maths and have somehow buggered up Y12

I was assuming that you were in the latter group
Reply 14

> their target is a D/E

Well I got an A* at GCSE, but I only scraped a C in physics. The AS Further Maths modules in my school are M1, M2 and FP1, so is very physics heavy. I spent the majority of my time revising for FMaths instead of Maths, and this didn't work out at all, because I don't think I ever had a chance of passing further. I regret this and know I should have spent more time on Core.
Reply 15
Theatre - A
Economics - B
Maths - E
Further Maths - U

Hello there. I'm sorry you feel rubbish about these. I confess I am slightly amazed to see a mathematical thespian -- surely not a common combination! Well done on the Theatre.

I'm not going to lie, but I think it's quite ambitious to do an A-Level with an E at AS. That would require a lot of work, almost like taking an AS and an A2 in one year.

Which brings me to my point. As you want to do Social Policy, does your school or college offer any A-Level subject which would act as a good analogue to this -- something like Sociology, or anything cultural or political? If you told the college your plans and said that to keep on Maths would be like taking an AS level and an A2 all in one year, you might be able to argue your point for taking another subject altogether.

But if you are committed to Maths and feel that the E was a blip, then I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go. Only you can tell whether you feel you can pull yourself up to a B...
Well I got an A* at GCSE, but I only scraped a C in physics. The AS Further Maths modules in my school are M1, M2 and FP1, so is very physics heavy. I spent the majority of my time revising for FMaths instead of Maths, and this didn't work out at all, because I don't think I ever had a chance of passing further. I regret this and know I should have spent more time on Core.

Say all of that to your head of maths

And beg a bit

If you were at my school I would probably be saying yes
Reply 17

> their target is a D/E

Also, my target grade for Maths was a B.
Reply 18
Say all of that to your head of maths

And beg a bit

If you were at my school I would probably be saying yes

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your time and help.

Trust me when I say M1 is something you can seriously improve at. I got a D first time taking that module and found it v. difficult but upon retaking jumped straight up to an A. My strategy was to do about 20 past papers, over again, until I could complete and understand every questions. After a while, you begin to spot patterns in the questions and they become second nature to you; it's like this with a lot the subject.

I find it a bit strange tho that your school let you pursue Further Maths when you were struggling with the standard A level. Surely they would have suggested to you to drop it to focus fully on the core modules?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending