The Student Room Group

Bad AS results - Will I get offers?

Ok so my AS results are as follows:
Chemistry - B
English lit/lang - C
Biology - D
Physics - D

I wanted to study biology or biochemistry in uni, but most places ask for 300 UCAS points, including a C or B in biology and chemistry.
I'm planning on dropping physics, and my predicted grade for biology was a B... Something must have gone bad in the exams but I donno.

Either way, I'm now scared that I won't get any offers from any of the universities I want to go to, so does anyone know the chances of me getting an offer with these grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DZhessika11
Chemistry - B
English lit/lang - C
Biology - D
Physics - D

I wanted to study biology or biochemistry in uni, but most places ask for 300 UCAS points, including a C or B in biology and chemistry.
I'm planning on dropping physics, and my predicted grade for biology was a B... Something must have gone bad in the exams but I donno.

Either way, I'm now scared that I won't get any offers from any of the universities I want to go to, so does anyone know the chances of me getting an offer with these grades?
Well, not really. It depends on the course and uni. Clearly if you can improve on these through resits it would help you.
Reply 2
You need to improve your Biology grade certainly. Uni is a lot harder than A levels so if you're struggling now you'll probably find your chosen option a nightmare as a degree.

In a few years time no one will care about these results though it seems hard now. I'd resit the Biology certainly but also try to get some information about what biochemistry will be like to study and if it really interests you.

I didn't chose the right career for me first time and whilst you might be able to do it, if you don't enjoy it you won't be happy. Just take a little time to think - there's no need to panic - you can still do whatever you want. The worst that can happen is taking a little longer to get there - but it'll be worth it a million times over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
okay so i want to do medicine it was always my dream.... but my as grades were like awful i was literally in tears yesterday.

so i thought of a couple of options that can work for me but i have a few questions can you please help!!!

how does clearing work? because i have awful as grades i dont see the point of applying in october but can i still try for the clearing?!?

or would it be better to retake some modules and improve the grades by the end of my A level and then apply with a gap year?
Reply 4
I got U U in maths and chemistry! And just passed bio even though I was sure I did quite well in that. I don't want to repeat year 12. is it possible for me to resit all AS level modules in bio, maths and chemistry, as well as continue into A2? Please tell me this is possible, I just need to know if anyone has done this before. :frown: I am willing to drown myself in my studies this year. There are three reasons I didn't do well in my AS levels 1) my family moved abroad and I changed from the irish curriculum to british. I had never done GCSE's or even started AS until March of this year. 2) I became more focused on making friends rather than studying, and became lazy. 3) My school has extremely bad teachers, everyone in my class got U's :frown: Please give me advice on what to do!!!
It's definitely possible but will you be able to handle all those retakes and a2 exams next June?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by RachelB11
You need to improve your Biology grade certainly. Uni is a lot harder than A levels so if you're struggling now you'll probably find your chosen option a nightmare as a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't find biology difficult, like I said something must have gone wrong in the exams because loads of other people in my class (who were predicted As and Bs) came out with no higher than Ds
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
Well, not really. It depends on the course and uni. Clearly if you can improve on these through resits it would help you.

I can only resit next June, but obviously I have to reply and get offers before then.
So would universities actually give me offers?
Reply 8
Cardiff uni still has places through clearing. There are still have available places for Languages (French, Italian, German, Spanish), Welsh (available with joint honours), Journalism and other spaces of other degree programmes. Just contact Cardiff clearing :smile:
Reply 9
Chemistry - B
English lit/lang - C
Biology - D
Physics - D

Talk to school and see what their predictions will be - that will be the deciding factor

Only they (and you) can determine the A2 predictions

If you worked really hard this year then the predictions are not going to be any/much higher

If you were a bit of a wastrel this year but can talk to them about improvements next year you stand a chance of better predictions- aim to apply in Jan as this will give you a chance to show an improvement during the first term and encourage them to predict a bit higher
Reply 10
I can only resit next June, but obviously I have to reply and get offers before then.
So would universities actually give me offers?
They can give you offers conditional upon the results.
Original post by Minerva
They can give you offers conditional upon the results.

What does that mean?

I got
Biology: B
Chemistry: C ( four ums away from a b)
French: C
Maths: E!!! :frown:

as there are no jan exams anymore does this mean that it will be too late?
im thinking of retaking a chem module to get atleast a b,
i wanted to do chemistry at uni but im worried i wont get a place anywhere.
Help!
Original post by Minerva

Hello.

What if you got 2 x D's for AS - how would you we be able to get A Level Grade BB's?
I just got my AS results and they weren't good. I came out with Film-C
Original post by figuresk8rstudent
Hello.

What if you got 2 x D's for AS - how would you we be able to get A Level Grade BB's?

Ds aren't a bad grade necessarily as that means you can at least carry on the course—at my sixth form, you have to drop the subject if you get anything less—so I'd go with the mod's advice and suggest resitting some of the modules which you think you can improve. It's a bit more work but, if you put the effort in, it's realistic to get Bs.
Original post by Mickey2909
Ds aren't a bad grade necessarily as that means you can at least carry on the course—at my sixth form, you have to drop the subject if you get anything less—so I'd go with the mod's advice and suggest resitting some of the modules which you think you can improve. It's a bit more work but, if you put the effort in, it's realistic to get Bs.

That's the thing though - I don't want to retake. I'm wanting to work harder (If that's even possible as I have busted my gut in Psychology) on my A2 to boost my overal A Level Grade to be a B! But I don't get how it works UMS points wise :colondollar:
Original post by figuresk8rstudent
That's the thing though - I don't want to retake. I'm wanting to work harder (If that's even possible as I have busted my gut in Psychology) on my A2 to boost my overal A Level Grade to be a B! But I don't get how it works UMS points wise :colondollar:

I don't personally know if it's true but I was always told that you can only really go up or down one grade from AS to A2—hence why you need a D or else it skews the school's perfomance. I could very well be wrong but, surely, it's a little safer to retake a little?
Reply 17
Chemistry - B
English lit/lang - C
Biology - D
Physics - D

I think drop the hardest subject and resit others you need to study biology or biochemistry
Chemistry - B
English lit/lang - C
Biology - D
Physics - D

From your As grades alone no one can tell you if you'll get an offer as they play a part in a uni's decision but aren't the only factor. Talk to your teachers at school/ college and see what they are going to predict you and work from here. What you do from here though is largely dependant on those predictions and what you want to do- chances are you won't stand much chance in some of the more prestigious/ popular uni's but you should have a shot at some decent ones. With a good personal statement and reference even ones that generally ask for a bit higher than your predicted may make you a slightly lower offer.

Biggest thing though will be to work hard this year and work out where you went wrong- I totally understand where you are coming from with the unexpected Biology grade as throughout college I loved biology and understood pretty much everything we did in class but when it came to exams I did horrifically- thing with biology is they want very specific answers and if you don't put a certain word you probably won't get the mark- spend a lot of time with the mark schemes. If it is a total surprise though may be worth having a remark. But even if you don't get into the uni you want originally when applying with a good set of A2 results you could possibly try through clearing/ adjustment or wait till the next year and apply again. Don't hang onto As results and any disappointment they have brought- get your butt in gear take some resists and smash them A2 exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok I need major help I flopped my AS levels so badly

MEDIA -B
PSYCHOLOGY- E
MATHS- E
BIOLOGY- U (obviously going to drop this)

what should I do?
I don't want to retake the year because there are no other courses I'd rather take :frown:
I'm worried that my teachers might not take me on since they aren't the nicest people around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending