The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord of the Flies
Looks like we're going to have a pretty badass team next year. :cool:

Original post by DJMayes
http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/news/a_level_results_bancroft_s_maths_ace_bags_rare_perfect_set_of_marks_1_2337330

Looks like we'll have a celebrity. :ninja:

(If this is you Mr Tough then I apologise :tongue: )

See the above - Pembroke just got that bit more ridiculous this year...

Indeed that is me...what a fantastically flattering picture. Had no idea that was up there yet, only saw my school website's article.

I'm guessing this is you DJ Mayes?

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/local/latest-local-news/record-year-for-springwood-school-a-level-students-1-5392569

We're all so famous! :smile:
I think it is still yet to sink in that I'm actually going to Cambridge, it's just unbelievable :redface: I definitely feel much less deserving than a lot of the other mathmos here, guess I better get used to being near the bottom of the class rather than the top!

And I still can't find any "official" Freshers pages on Facebook, all the ones that I can find seem to be dead. :confused:

Are there any plans for an amazingly awkward TSR meetup once we're there? :tongue:
Original post by LShirley95
I think it is still yet to sink in that I'm actually going to Cambridge, it's just unbelievable :redface: I definitely feel much less deserving than a lot of the other mathmos here, guess I better get used to being near the bottom of the class rather than the top!

And I still can't find any "official" Freshers pages on Facebook, all the ones that I can find seem to be dead. :confused:

Are there any plans for an amazingly awkward TSR meetup once we're there? :tongue:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cambridgefreshers2013/?fref=ts

I think that's the official one, I've only joined today so I'm not certain, but it's definitely the one with the most people in and seems legit :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/153209631505721/

That's the Churchill College specific one.

Congrats for getting in :smile: I really don't think you have any need to put yourself down like that, 83 in III is an incredible score! :smile:
Original post by bananarama2
That's the only bit I understood (£1472). They reference forms which aren't called what they call them :l

University fees is tuition fees right?

Yes. Assuming you are not an international non-EU student, you don't have to worry about the college fee.

Basically all you have to do is if required declare that you are not paying the fees yourself (assuming you are going for student finance), and just give the college your award notice which you receive after you have your student loan approved by the student finance agency.

Original post by DJMayes
*celebrities*

"Only" the local news? :tongue:

Spoiler

Of course, congrats!
Original post by Mr Tough
Indeed that is me...what a fantastically flattering picture. Had no idea that was up there yet, only saw my school website's article.

I'm guessing this is you DJ Mayes?

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/local/latest-local-news/record-year-for-springwood-school-a-level-students-1-5392569

We're all so famous! :smile:

Congratulations! Pembroke has really done well this year, you all should be very pleased. How did you get on with STEP?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
Yes. Assuming you are not an international non-EU student, you don't have to worry about the college fee.

Basically all you have to do is if required declare that you are not paying the fees yourself (assuming you are going for student finance), and just give the college your award notice which you receive after you have your student loan approved by the student finance agency.

"Only" the local news? :tongue:

Spoiler

Of course, congrats!

Am I seriously the only person who refused to have articles after exams? Media whores :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3566
Original post by cpdavis
:console: What college is that for?

Gonville & caius college. are you in the pool?
I knew i wasnt good enough. A*A*B and was meant to get A*A*A.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cambridgefreshers2013/?fref=ts

I think that's the official one, I've only joined today so I'm not certain, but it's definitely the one with the most people in and seems legit :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/153209631505721/

That's the Churchill College specific one.

Congrats for getting in :smile: I really don't think you have any need to put yourself down like that, 83 in III is an incredible score! :smile:

Cheers and thanks :smile:

Though actually my III score was 81, I made a mistake when I said it in the STEP thread. Not that it's that much different, though!
Original post by Bulbasaur
Awesome! Who cares about A levels anyway XD I got 91 in C4 and scraped an A*. I got A*AA haha. See you there :biggrin:

So if you pardon the pun, everything worked out! Congrats!!! :biggrin:
Original post by shamika
Am I seriously the only person who refused to have articles after exams? Media whores :tongue:

Spoiler

Well it's not as if we asked for them... and it's not my problem if the school accepted the media offer before I had the chance to refuse. :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by batwingz
Anyone in the summer pool? coz i am

I might be; my college hasn't told me what's going on since I scanned and emailed my UMS. Have you heard anything yet? :smile:
Original post by shamika
Congratulations! Pembroke has really done well this year, you all should be very pleased. How did you get on with STEP?

Spoiler

Thank you very much :smile:

Although, to be fair, getting 100 in an A Level maths paper instead of 90-99 doesn't really show any more skill/talent, just a bit of luck/good checking techniques! I'm still very happy with what I got, mainly because one of my teachers, at the beginning of year 12, said if anyone lost less than 9 ums he would buy them a ferrari! He's now saying he meant a model one...:angry: Thinking about taking him to court :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by Powerfrau
I might be; my college hasn't told me what's going on since I scanned and emailed my UMS. Have you heard anything yet? :smile:

Are you automatically in the summer pool if you missed your offer and haven't been rejected on UCAS? Or have you been notified you are in the Summer Pool? Many thanks

Although, to be fair, getting 100 in an A Level maths paper instead of 90-99 doesn't really show any more skill/talent, just a bit of luck/good checking techniques! I'm still very happy with what I got, mainly because one of my teachers, at the beginning of year 12, said if anyone lost less than 9 ums he would buy them a ferrari! He's now saying he meant a model one...:angry: Thinking about taking him to court :wink:

Spoiler

LOL! Definitely hold your teacher to that. Also that's a fantastic STEP score - you all did so well, very very happy for you.

Agreed with you about Maths UMS - I got 1200/1200 and am definitely not a good mathmo (and much worse than what the UMS would lead you to believe). Did you do Additional Further too? The article says you got 100 UMS in 12 further maths modules but presumably the author got it wrong?

Spoiler

That's absolutely amazing, well done!! Can I ask, how high are the S grades? :smile:

Spoiler

Demand that the model must run on petrol :sexface:

Well done and congrats!
Original post by shamika
LOL! Definitely hold your teacher to that. Also that's a fantastic STEP score - you all did so well, very very happy for you.

Agreed with you about Maths UMS - I got 1200/1200 and am definitely not a good mathmo (and much worse than what the UMS would lead you to believe). Did you do Additional Further too? The article says you got 100 UMS in 12 further maths modules but presumably the author got it wrong?

Haha I am trying to :P Thanks again :smile:

Ah didn't even notice that in the article, no I didn't do Additional Further, the author must have made a small mistake. Just did the standard maths and further maths.

Original post by Mastermind2
That's absolutely amazing, well done!! Can I ask, how high are the S grades? :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by ukdragon37
Demand that the model must run on petrol :sexface:

Well done and congrats!

Haha, great idea :cool:

Original post by Powerfrau

I wasn't told that I was in the pool, I emailed my college to check if they got my UMS, and asked if I could have an update on what was happening with my application. Maybe you could try that?
Haha I am trying to :P Thanks again :smile:

Ah didn't even notice that in the article, no I didn't do Additional Further, the author must have made a small mistake. Just did the standard maths and further maths.

Thank you :smile:

Spoiler

Very good. Seriously, what on earth did Pembroke do to get you three this year? (How many mathmos does Pembroke take in a year?)
Original post by shamika
Very good. Seriously, what on earth did Pembroke do to get you three this year? (How many mathmos does Pembroke take in a year?)

Thanks :smile: If I remember rightly, their website said they seek to take seven or eight people a year.

Original post by DJMayes

Quite glad to see that article tbh, it's the only one which hasn't seriously misquoted me :angry:

Got my confirmation letter just now :biggrin: And some work to do!! :gasp:

Latest