The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get AAA at A level with ABC at AS?

So this is what I achieved for AS:

English literature: C
Maths: E (dropping)
Psychology: B
Sociology: A

I met my targets for Psychology and Sociology but missed my target for English by a grade. Is it worth resitting English in order to achieve a B or A? Also what grades would I need to achieve at A2 in order to get AAA in total?
Reply 1
You can average A in A2 while having Cs in AS.

C = 60% UMS.
If you get full UMS in A2, that averages to 80%.

If you get a high C such as 68%, you only need 92% in A2 to make it into an A*.

So, it is very possible my friend. Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sayonara

C = 60% UMS.

If you get a high C such as 68%, you only need 92% in A2 to make it into an A.

"only" 92%

I think the OP would be better off retaking some AS exams alongside some A2 exams to make it a bit easier.
Reply 3
It is very possible with the A and the B however with the C in English it may be a little harder. I advise you really try to excel in your next piece of English coursework to give yourself a comfortable footing for the exam next Summer. I got a C at English Lit AS and came out with a B yesterday (what I wanted). It will be hard work but I think it might be possible.

This is if you are not considering resists.

P.S. those are great results well done.
Original post by Sayonara

C = 60% UMS.

If you get a high C such as 68%, you only need 92% in A2 to make it into an A.

OP would get an A* if that happened. 80% overall + 90% over A2...
Contrary to what everyone is saying, no it is not possible to get AAA....

But it is possible to get A*AA!

The A you can still get an A in, the B you could increase to an A, unless it's 70%, then you could only get an A*.

For the C even if you got 69% (hehe), you would still need at least 91% at A2, since for an A* you need 80% average over AS and A2 and 90%+ at A2 you would get an A*
Reply 6
Should I resit English? I got an A for my coursework but a C for the actual exam with made it a C overall. I'm confident that I can get another A for coursework in A2 but I'm not sure about the exam.

Thanks for the advice everyone
Reply 7
Original post by MimiGreene

I met my targets for Psychology and Sociology but missed my target for English by a grade. Is it worth resitting English in order to achieve a B or A? Also what grades would I need to achieve at A2 in order to get AAA in total?

I got ABC in AS as well. This year I finished with AAB. I got full marks in my January Psychology paper which brought it up to an A from a B.

I received a C in AS for English Lit and because I got one off an A* in my A2 paper it brought it up to a B, I am however retaking my AS English Lit paper during my gap year to level it to an A. So yes, more than possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Should I resit English? I got an A for my coursework but a C for the actual exam with made it a C overall. I'm confident that I can get another A for coursework in A2 but I'm not sure about the exam.

Thanks for the advice everyone

I would not recommend resiting English as it would take focus away from other subjects and it requires learning a lot of things again. Try talking to your teacher to see what he/she thinks. However, remember you can improve exam technique for English throughout the year!
i got AAB at AS in biology (91%), chemistry (82%) and Religous studies (75%)

would it be possible for me to achieve AAA? I am also retaking one of the religous studies units to bring that B to an A
Original post by Miladrises
i got AAB at AS in biology (91%), chemistry (82%) and Religous studies (75%)

would it be possible for me to achieve AAA? I am also retaking one of the religous studies units to bring that B to an A

Well of course it would be possible for you.. you already have AAB.

If you're going for AAA resit some of your AS modules. you can't get an A from a C without resits, you can get an A* though.

Quick Reply

Latest