The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by LibbyG
Hi! Prospective medic here too! I'm Libby, and I'm a Welsh applicant :smile: My profile so far is:
GCSE: 9.5A* 1A
January AS: 4A's Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics
Hoping to get 4A's for my overall AS, but I may slip to a B in Biology.
UKCAT: VA 710, QR 710, AR 840, DA 860, SJ band 1, average 780 :smile:

Not sure where to apply yet, but I have a list of potentials:
Cardiff, Southampton and Leicester because I like them. :smile:
B'ham because of my GCSE grades.
Nottingham and Northampton because of UKCAT.

So just introducing myself :smile: and looking for advice, is there any benefit at all to keeping all 4 AS to A level? My plan at the moment is if I get a B in Biology AS then to keep all four to A level so I can rely on my 3A offer from the other three, but if I get all A grades at AS I don't know what to do!

You do realize your current profile as long as your reference and personal statement are good can get you into pretty much any university
Reply 321
Original post by alex193
Heya,
I've done a big piece on Notts over on the A100 thread - I've quoted it below :wink: I'm loving it, the course is perfect for me and uni life has been entertaining to say the least :smile: Yep, we're one of the few schools that still let students dissect - more on that below :smile:

That was a great read! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im not sure if its just the people ive spoken to but is it just me or is everyone getting a really high score this year for the UKCAT? Ive spoken to numerous people with 700+ scores! Is there any change?
Reply 323
Original post by flamegoblin0
Im not sure if its just the people ive spoken to but is it just me or is everyone getting a really high score this year for the UKCAT? Ive spoken to numerous people with 700+ scores! Is there any change?

Yes a lot of changes have been made to the UKCAT this year but those changes have made the test harder not easier.

One thing you have to remember is that noone is going to broadcast a badge or average score so all the high scores you're seeing is expected. Although the average score has gone up this year by 20 points compared to 2012 scores in VR and QR have generally gone down whilst AR and DA have gone up. There are still many people yet to take the test so these stats can change.

Lastly TSR is the cream of the crop. Students on TSR generally do better than the national Average. Currently the TSR Average score for 2013 is 100points higher than the National average :smile:

I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by AhmedDavid
Yes a lot of changes have been made to the UKCAT this year but those changes have made the test harder not easier.

One thing you have to remember is that noone is going to broadcast a badge or average score so all the high scores you're seeing is expected. Although the average score has gone up this year by 20 points compared to 2012 scores in VR and QR have generally gone down whilst AR and DA have gone up. There are still many people yet to take the test so these stats can change.

Lastly TSR is the cream of the crop. Students on TSR generally do better than the national Average. Currently the TSR Average score for 2013 is 100points higher than the National average :smile:

I hope this helped :smile:

Yeah that's helped a lot! Are there any new 2013 books? The books I have are for like the old ukcat :frown: what's tsr?
Reply 325
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Since when did Northampton have a medical school?? Do you mean Newcastle?

For the schools you've mentioned there's no benefit to 4 A2's. Bear in mind that getting AAA with 4 subjects will be harder than with three cos you'll have more work throughout the year. Some unis might specify they want Biology in your offer so you'd need an A at A2 in it.

Okay thanks for the help, I did indeed mean Newcastle! Which unis do give benefit to 4 A2's do you know?
Reply 326
Original post by AhmedDavid
You do realize your current profile as long as your reference and personal statement are good can get you into pretty much any university

Bear in mind Southampton are interviewing BM5 applicants this year..! :smile:
Reply 327
Original post by flamegoblin0
Yeah that's helped a lot! Are there any new 2013 books? The books I have are for like the old ukcat :frown: what's tsr?

Yes there are new UKCAT books but none of them are actually endorsed by the UKCAT company themselves as they feel you need no revision to take the UKCAT test. The ISC Medical book is from 2009 however there is one from another company for 2013 UKCAT. It is also titled 600questions ....

And TSR - The Student Room lol :biggrin:
Reply 328
Original post by Djinne
Bear in mind Southampton are interviewing BM5 applicants this year..! :smile:

Yeah thats only a good thing :smile:
Original post by alex193
Heya,
I've done a big piece on Notts over on the A100 thread - I've quoted it below :wink: I'm loving it, the course is perfect for me and uni life has been entertaining to say the least :smile: Yep, we're one of the few schools that still let students dissect - more on that below :smile:

Thanks for the link, checked it out and has been very useful. I'm concerned about the weighting Nottingham puts on the UKCAT (which I have on Thursday) but I guess once I have my result I'll feel a bit more at ease! Thanks for your help too :smile:
Hiya guys just wondered if you'd be kind enough to help me?
Basicaly I wanna do medicine ive got 9a* and 3as at GCSE, but my as grades let me down ive got as and 2bs :frown:
I also got 672.5 in my UKCAT
just wanted help with where I should apply, whether i should even apply or should i apply deffered for 2015 entry :smile: thanks guys
Original post by razzle123
Hiya guys just wondered if you'd be kind enough to help me?
Basicaly I wanna do medicine ive got 9a* and 3as at GCSE, but my as grades let me down ive got as and 2bs :frown:
I also got 672.5 in my UKCAT
just wanted help with where I should apply, whether i should even apply or should i apply deffered for 2015 entry :smile: thanks guys

Many universities will not look at your AS grades, so as long as your predicted grades are okay then you'll be fine. Just make sure you don't apply to AS heavy universities :yes:

I would definitely not defer and just do module resits to get your grades back up.
Original post by BethaneyJ
Many universities will not look at your AS grades, so as long as your predicted grades are okay then you'll be fine. Just make sure you don't apply to AS heavy universities :yes:

I would definitely not defer and just do module resits to get your grades back up.

Thanks a lot :smile: heavy As based like birmingham? Anywhere else i should avoid? :smile:
Original post by razzle123
Thanks a lot :smile: heavy As based like birmingham? Anywhere else i should avoid? :smile:

If you have a look in the TSR Wiki you should be able to find all the info you need :h:
Need some help! Got AAAAB in my highers and a 657.5 (VR570, QR760, AR & DA 650) band 2 in my UKCAT. Is this good enough for the likes of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and St. Andrews? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
UKCAT tomorrow, any last minute tips?
I am very stressed about it and I just want to get it out of the way!
Original post by Officegirl4
Need some help! Got AAAAB in my highers and a 657.5 (VR570, QR760, AR & DA 650) band 2 in my UKCAT. Is this good enough for the likes of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and St. Andrews? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

AAAAB is totally fine; it's not going to majorly hinder your application. For the likes of Edinburgh, it'll count against you in the "marking" process, but you still more than meet the min. requirements to be considered and are definitely in with a shot if the rest of your application is good.

Your UKCAT score is fine, too. I believe Dundee use a cut-off system(like Glasgow) for selecting for interview, so your UKCAT MIGHT be below the threshold, but we can't say for sure.

tl;dr: you're fine.
Original post by katherine96
UKCAT tomorrow, any last minute tips?
I am very stressed about it and I just want to get it out of the way!

Mine is tomorrow too :smile:
Reply 338
Hi, I desperately need some advice!

I achieved AABD in my AS levels which I got the other day (two A's in Chem and Bio, B in psychology and D in Spanish- which im dropping).

Im really happy with the AAB its just the D thats worrying me as most medical schools want a C/B in the 4th AS level?

I know some med schools dont look at AS levels but they tend to focus more on the UKCAT which I only achieved a 645 average in (band 1 SJT) so now im completely stcuk on where to apply :/

At GCSE I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 3B's but one of those A*'s in in a Citizenship short course which I dont think counts :confused:

My first choice was Leeds but I dont know if ive messed my chances up, any advice would be helpful :smile:
Anyone, tips ? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending