The Student Room Group

Flopped exams and need advice - very lost!

In short
- Applied for Royal Holloway (as a firm choice) and Leicester (as insurance)
- Applied for Psychology
- Need AAB and ABB respectively
- Expected AAB and worked bloody hard
- Got BBC
- Rejected by Royal Holloway
- Still waiting on Leicester

Questions/Prep for potential clearing situ'
- Does anyone know of any respectable unis that will take BBC in clearing specifically?
- Is it worth calling up unis wanting BBB in clearing and asking for a place?
- Is it worth calling up Royal Holloway and asking if they'd reconsider me for the Criminology and Psych dual course?
- Do you think Leicester will take me?

Im gutted cause some of my friends underachieved too, getting BBC or even BCC and were let onto AAB/ABB courses. Guess I wasn't so lucky :frown:

Honest and constructive advice please. Really need your help.
I have emailed my careers adviser and she hasn't got back to me yet.
have a look at Plymouth (big department, known to drop grades) and Bangor
Firstly like you missed my firm but I made my insurance who I rejected because I it didn't feel right going there but I am hopefully going to go to York provided they accept me although they set a deadline of 10AM so I am a little worried. Firstly I see that Leicester are in clearing for Psychology asking for A B B so on that basis I would say it is unlikely they will accept you with B B C. I would guess that Psychology is a popular course which may also hurt your chances. I tried to confirm a place at another university before I rejected my insurance but they flat out refused to discuss until I had been entered into clearing so you have a difficult choice to make. You can ring Leicester up and try and plead with them to accept you but I wouldn't wait too long because there is a risk of you missing out on top University as alternatives.
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/clearing/clearing-opportunities-2013/#p

That is a link for Lancaster clearing they are accepting B B B for Pyschology and you may be able to ring up with you can present yourself well with B B C. According to the Complete University guide Lancaster is ranked 15th in the country for Psychology and ranked 11th overall in the country. Hope this helps.
Definitely not worth calling RHUL if Track is showing a rejection. But yes, you can speculatively call Clearing hotlines for BBB courses, it won't harm you.

As for Leicester, I take it you've rang them. Nothing for it but to sit tight I'm afraid.

Good luck and fingers crossed.
Reply 4
I applied for Plymouth Psychology - my offer was ABB and I got BBC but I got my firm anyway. However, my firm and insurance were at Plymouth and both ABB offers so it's more likely that they would have taken me on that basis. Plymouth may not have high grade boundaries but is VERY GOOD for Psychology! It should definitely be considered.
Reply 5
UPDATE

- Just got an email from my careers adviser, who told me that no, I won't be able to make any clearing inquiries until I'm in the process.
- Still no response from Leicester
- She said to call RHUL and ask about the Criminology and Psych course. I'm going to give it a shot cause yeah, it won't harm me.

Thank you for your help so far guys - Does anyone have any personal experience with Bangor Uni? Not ideal as it's in Wales, however, it looks very good!
Reply 6
Original post by LJStudent
I applied for Plymouth Psychology - my offer was ABB and I got BBC but I got my firm anyway. However, my firm and insurance were at Plymouth and both ABB offers so it's more likely that they would have taken me on that basis. Plymouth may not have high grade boundaries but is VERY GOOD for Psychology! It should definitely be considered.

I haven't visited or heard much about it before- what's it like in terms of, well, everything! I might have to make a few rapid uni visits if Leicester falls through
Reply 7
Original post by happydays777
In short
- Applied for Psychology
- Got BBC

- Does anyone know of any respectable unis that will take BBC in clearing specifically?
- Is it worth calling up Royal Holloway and asking if they'd reconsider me for the Criminology and Psych dual course?

Im gutted cause some of my friends underachieved too, getting BBC or even BCC and were let onto AAB/ABB courses. Guess I wasn't so lucky :frown:

you did not fail you got good grades!!
YES CALL WHO EVER YOU HAVE TO CALL
DO NOT GIVE UP.
In short
- Applied for Psychology
- Got BBC

Hi there,

Just in case you're still considering other Universities, you might want to take a look at Buckingham's 2-year BPS accredited Psychology programme. Places are available in clearing for B,B,C.

Our animation below explains a little more about our programme, if you want to take a look :redface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddvPaw99r0

Good luck!

Claire
Reply 9
I haven't visited or heard much about it before- what's it like in terms of, well, everything! I might have to make a few rapid uni visits if Leicester falls through

It's an inner-city university so the campus is in the middle of the city near a large shopping centre but anyone can walk through it, etc. It's very modern and vibrant :smile: There are a load of psychology research labs, brain scanners and what have you (I forget the technical term), the lecturers are very engaging and interesting, and all in all it's a very nice place to be! I've been to about 3 or 4 open days because my brother goes there to do MGeol so I've been around a few times and I can't see myself going anywhere else :smile: Also, my psychology lecturer from my sixth form explained that a lot of lecturers at Exeter have moved to Plymouth... pretty good for a non Russell-group university!
Reply 10
I just finished A2 and I hope to retake one or two modules in two subjects (biology and chemistry) next year, because of new changes to a level how different will the exams be? Would it still be the same spec? I'm planning to just self revise for them

Remember the big plus of a psychology degree is that it is BPS approved so you know that the standard of the degree has to meet certain levels in order to be on their list

My daughter is starting psych in September - the places wit lower entry levels that we visited were Derby and Lincoln - from my experiences on open days I would say take a look at either of those
Original post by tn234
I just finished A2 and I hope to retake one or two modules in two subjects (biology and chemistry) next year, because of new changes to a level how different will the exams be? Would it still be the same spec? I'm planning to just self revise for them

There have been no syllabus changes - just a change to the exam timetable
Reply 13
In short
- Applied for Psychology
- Got BBC

Well yesterday there was a few good universities with BBB grade for clearing, such as warwick and maybe queen mary.
Original post by vanessap
you did not fail you got good grades!!
YES CALL WHO EVER YOU HAVE TO CALL
DO NOT GIVE UP.

Despite your good grades, I am afraid it will not be possible to study Criminology and Psych at Royal Holloway.

Good luck with your applications!
Hi there,
BBC is certainly nothing to be ashamed of - you have done really well and please do not let the disappointment on not getting into your chosen universities blur this fact!
On a more practical level you could give us a call on our hotline 0844 842 9599 to discuss the possibility of a place at Kingston, although I do not know the requirements you need to meet I do know that there are still places available.

The course itself is accredited by the British Psychological Society as conferring eligibility for Graduate Membership of the Society with the Graduate Basis for Registration, provided the minimum standard of qualification of second class honours is achieved.

We also have a number of Psychology students on our ASK US website if you want to read more / ask them about their experiences.

Good luck with what ever you go on to do!
Kind regards
Kerrie
Reply 16
i got CCDD for my AS do you think i should retake 3 modules to get CBBD or retake the whole year? I want to apply for biomedical science at st Georges?
Reply 17
Westminster Uni has courses in Clearing but you will have to check your grades with them.

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/subjects/psychology/undergraduate-courses/full-time/u09fupsy-bsc-honours-psychology that be might be suitable - take a look.

Best of luck!
Reply 18
Nothing heard from Leicester so far. Making a list of all potential unis on this list just in case, thanks again for your help everyone!

Does anyone have any personal or close experience with Brighton?
Original post by alexberry
i got CCDD for my AS do you think i should retake 3 modules to get CBBD or retake the whole year? I want to apply for biomedical science at st Georges?

Please start your own thread in the A Level forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=958

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending