The Student Room Group

Any Resitters in the house?

Hello people of TSR,

I have received my A level results today ;
A - Economics
C - Chemistry
C- Biology

I had my hopes set on getting 3 As but unfotunately during exam time there was a death of a relative , i have this logged and my exam board and uni knew about my mitigating circumstances.

Needless to say i lost the offer, my question is has anyone managed to resit their a levels and succeeded in gaining an offer from med school, with a similiar circumstance.

I have checked the university websites and they seem quite vague as to what counts as an extenuating circumstance.

Thanks alot x
Sara
Original post by saratate94
Hello people of TSR,

A - Economics
C - Chemistry
C- Biology

I had my hopes set on getting 3 As but unfotunately during exam time there was a death of a relative , i have this logged and my exam board and uni knew about my mitigating circumstances.

Needless to say i lost the offer, my question is has anyone managed to resit their a levels and succeeded in gaining an offer from med school, with a similiar circumstance.

I have checked the university websites and they seem quite vague as to what counts as an extenuating circumstance.

Thanks alot x
Sara

I think this would count. Alternatively there are universities that would consider you regardless of resits (BSMS, UEA, Plym, Exet) Not the end of the world by far!
Reply 2
Hello people of TSR,

A - Economics
C - Chemistry
C- Biology

Thanks alot x
Sara

Hi there.

I am sorry for your extenuating circumstances and the loss of your offer.

Please take at look at our page here listing universities and their resit policies. A lot of medical schools take resits with extenuating circumstances, so this is definitely not the end of the road.

Best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
Hi there.

Please take at look at our page here listing universities and their resit policies. A lot of medical schools take resits with extenuating circumstances, so this is definitely not the end of the road.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much.

Im also quite confused, the school im at now maybe reluctant to predict me 2A's , and I also got a C in A/S maths which i'll resit to at least a B.
But the school i attend may not predict me AAb(Chem,bio, maths A/S respectively)
And should i start revising for the UKCAT this cycle then?

Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
Hi there.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much.

Im also quite confused, the school im at now maybe reluctant to predict me 2A's , and I also got a C in A/S maths which i'll resit to at least a B.
But the school i attend may not predict me AAb(Chem,bio, maths A/S respectively)
And should i start revising for the UKCAT this cycle then?

Cheers
Original post by BethaneyJ
I think this would count. Alternatively there are universities that would consider you regardless of resits (BSMS, UEA, Plym, Exet) Not the end of the world by far!

Original post by BethaneyJ
I think this would count. Alternatively there are universities that would
consider you regardless of resits (BSMS, UEA, Plym, Exet) Not the end of the world by far!

Thank you very much !

What do you mean they would consider me regardless of resits.
UEA state 'Applicants with less than ABB at first sitting will not be considered' This rules me out completely.

BSMS - 'We will ordinarily only consider applications from individuals who have slipped a grade in one subject and obtained a B (plus 2 A grades).'

Although they do surprisingly say ; 'Exceptionally, where there are clear and strong mitigating circumstances for the A2 year, the first attempt at the examinations may be set aside, and, as a result, the applicant's re sits will then be assessed as if they were the first attempt . Note that we will require formal evidence in support of any mitigation claimed, in the form of a letter on headed paper sent directly to the admissions office for consideration.'

But i may find it hard to acquire a death cert.

Plymouth say = 'If you wish to apply with predicted grades, we would stipulate that you achieved AAB at the first attempt.'' Which again rules me out completely.

Hello, I am sorry to hear the loss of your relative.
I am not a medicine applicant.
But I am resitting the year due to personal reasons - same as you.

Exeter is one of the very few unis which accepts resit applicants for medicine.
It is a really awesome uni!
Go there on the next open day to see if you like it.
If you do, then all the best to be accepted there!
Reply 6
Original post by Infinity_4652
Hello, I am sorry to hear the loss of your relative.
I am not a medicine applicant.
But I am resitting the year due to personal reasons - same as you.

Exeter is one of the very few unis which accepts resit applicants for medicine.
It is a really awesome uni!
Go there on the next open day to see if you like it.
If you do, then all the best to be accepted there!

Thanks alot!
I am also sorry about your loss.
What course are you applying for?
Thanks alot!
I am also sorry about your loss.
What course are you applying for?

No problem, I'm always glad to help!
I will applying next year for astrophysics/nuclear physics!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I got my AS results. Luckily, I got AABC. But want to get my C in Biology up: in two of the units I have got Bs, but then one unit I have a D - so will be retaking that unit.

Hope it works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending