The Student Room Group

What to take to Uni - Kitchen?!?!

I've read in lots of places that the kitchen will be bare in halls so I need to bring my own pots pans utensils etc... But what exactly do I really need to bring?! Surely if everyone brought their own frying pan saucepan baking tray and loads of utensils the place would be overflowing??

Can anyone who's been told me what they took and what they would reccommend.. And people who are about to go what are you taking/planning to buy?
I guess i'm planning on buying pans and utensils and such! I'm only doing this to be safe and to be honest, within a couple of days/weeks, you'll probably be sharing with hall/flat mates, so it'd personally just get everything one person would need and work from there - it's better to have to much than to little!
Reply 2
Original post by njaysharpie
I've read in lots of places that the kitchen will be bare in halls so I need to bring my own pots pans utensils etc... But what exactly do I really need to bring?! Surely if everyone brought their own frying pan saucepan baking tray and loads of utensils the place would be overflowing??

Can anyone who's been told me what they took and what they would reccommend.. And people who are about to go what are you taking/planning to buy?

Usually everyone will have their own cupboard and/or a draw to store there stuff.

So maybe 3 pots/pans in varying size (non-stick - they're easier to wash up)

A frying pan

2 knives, forks and spoons

1 big baking tray and a smaller one

Then the things you may forget to bring - potato peeler, tin opener, big spoon, wooden spoon, potato masher, garlic crusher

There is a complete article called 'What To Take To university?' on here though
Reply 3
The other Alex got most of it, just don't forget...
-oven gloves
-plastic spatula (especially if you've got non-stick, never use metal tools on non-stick pans)
-cooling rack (melted countertops will ravage your damage deposit!)
-glass dish (kind of like this) - perfect for pasta bakes, casseroles etc.
Reply 4
I'd bring your own if I was you because there'll be times when you want to cook one after the other other and times the pans stack up.

All I take is;
Frying Pan
Normal Pan
Little Pan for Eggs
4 forks
4 table spoons
4 tea spoons
4 knifes
1 cutting knife
1 scooper
2 plates
1 small plate
4 mugs
2 glasses
4 shot glasses
baking tray
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't know if you know or not, but some Universities may set up Facebook groups so it bunches people in their accommodation together, so you can decide between you who will get this, that and the other. If you manage to find out in advance, it may also make it easier to befriend one another and reduce any awkwardness in advance!
Original post by njaysharpie

Hi, if you are in a "friendly flat" as in you get along you will start sharing most of your utensils. I arrived at uni with:

1 pan
1 pot
2 knives & forks
2 cutting knives
1 cutting board
a few glasses and mugs
1 oven dish
24 Tupperware boxes from Ikea for 3 or 4 quid

However do NOT forget a can opener, somehow everyone in our flat forgot to bring one, so for a while we borrowed it from the flat next door.

I would also recommend you to take a blender if you can, they are great for making cocktails and smoothies and soup. I used to make soup in bulk and then freeze it in tupper ware.

If you realise you are missing something, you can always get it for cheap at Asda or Ikea. I would recommend to take as little as possible.
Original post by wildrover
I'd bring your own if I was you because there'll be times when you want to cook one after the other other and times the pans stack up.

All I take is;
Frying Pan
Normal Pan
Little Pan for Eggs
4 forks
4 table spoons
4 tea spoons
4 knifes
1 cutting knife
1 scooper
2 plates
1 small plate
4 mugs
2 glasses
4 shot glasses
baking tray

How did you eat your cereal without any bowls? :tongue:

I'd recommend lots of tea spoons. Ours kept disappearing all year until they miraculously appeared during the last week of term :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by Serentonin
How did you eat your cereal without any bowls? :tongue:

I'd recommend lots of tea spoons. Ours kept disappearing all year until they miraculously appeared during the last week of term :confused:

Well spotted, they slipped my mind. I also took two bowls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending