The Student Room Group

Au-pairing

Hi, im considering taking agap year in which I'd like to be an au-pair in Germany or Austria. Id like to study law or law with german at university and was wondering whether being an au-pairis a good idea or not and will i be at a disadvantage applying for deferred entry?
Id love to hear everyones thoughts? Im thinking to apply for kings, ucl, bristol, warwick, exeter, sheffield.... But havent condensed my choices yet.
Alex
I don't think you will be personally but there probably will be people who come on here and tell you that you will be.

At the end of the day- it really is your choice but be careful where you look etc. Make sure you research appropriate salary for the area you want to live in- and make sure you are clear what the family want you to do. Aupairs tend to look after children aged 2+ and do housework for no more than 25 hours a week, Aupair+ can look after younger children and are expected to do 35 hours a week. Both include two evenings babysitting. Typical pocket money here in the UK is around £100 in London and £75ish in other places. Flight out and return should be included as should one return during your stay. You should have your own room with internet access and ALL meals should be paid for by the host family.

It is great for a little bit of money to sightsee etc but make sure you go in with your eyes open.
Reply 2
I'm not wanting to do Law but I highly doubt you'd be at a disadvantage if you take a gap year, as long as you use it wisely. Considering you possibly want to do Law with German I'd say it'd be to your advantage (it'll make your application stand out, help you develop language skills, experience the culture etc) :smile:

But I'd agree with what bitsandbows has said, do your homework! You could also ask the universities your thinking of to see what they think about deferred entry.

I've arranged to be an au pair for a French family in July so I may be a little biased but I'd say go for it! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies, I'm keeping my options open at the moment, but i have found a great family in berlin and the mother is even a judge and would like to give me some experience in the legal system which is a bonus. I will ask about all those things.
I think when I go to the open days i'll ask the university about the deferred entry and everything to make sure, because i have heard some are not so keen , but i dont know?
:smile:
Doing a structured Gap Year with the aim of improving your language skills before a University level course sounds like a very good idea.

Most Universities are in favour of this sort of 'getting or improving a skill' Gap Year and so it can only help your application.

The only area where a Gap Year is seen as a 'problem' appears to be Maths (because apparently you 'forget' your maths skills). For Law/German it wont be a problem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wildchild7
Thanks for your replies, I'm keeping my options open at the moment, but i have found a great family in berlin and the mother is even a judge and would like to give me some experience in the legal system which is a bonus. I will ask about all those things.
I think when I go to the open days i'll ask the university about the deferred entry and everything to make sure, because i have heard some are not so keen , but i dont know?
:smile:

Well done on finding such a suitable family! I know how difficult it is to organise. I am very keen on taking a gap year to be an Au pair in Germany, applying for German and History, and will then do the GDL! Would you mind me asking which Au Pair company you're going with?
Reply 6
aupair-world.com , it has about 950 german families on there and you will probably receive many applications from them as well as searching for your own families. It seems to be an advantage being english, because many want their children to learn/improve their english. Good luck in finding a great family! It is a good idea to skype contact them as well as email.
Reply 7
Au pairing is an amazing experience! I've just got home from my year and I had the most incredible time. You learn so much about yourself! Be careful when choosing a family though, ask lots and lots of questions! Think about things like, will they include you in family things even when you aren't working? What are the rules about the children asking you for things when you aren't 'on duty'? :smile:
Original post by Aimee0801
Au pairing is an amazing experience! I've just got home from my year and I had the most incredible time. You learn so much about yourself! Be careful when choosing a family though, ask lots and lots of questions! Think about things like, will they include you in family things even when you aren't working? What are the rules about the children asking you for things when you aren't 'on duty'? :smile:

Which country did you go to? :smile:
Has anyone done au pairing in Spain? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Young Hot Stalin
Which country did you go to? :smile:

I went to the USA :smile:

Quick Reply