The Student Room Group

IGCSEs help!

If you do an IGCSE along side a normal GCSE do you get 2 GCSE's at the end of the year for that subject? and if you home study your GCSE's at home do you still have a chance at getting into a really good sixth form? or university even? and if you do your a levels early, will the sixth form you go to allow that?
sorry! about the load of questions! an answer would be highly appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
IGCSEs and GCSEs are two different qualifications, so say you did a maths IGCSE and a GCSE (I have no idea why you would do both) then you would have two qualifications not one.

You can definitely get into a good sixth form or college if you've learnt from home, it's about grades you achieve. It would make you stand out to Unis and this is generally a good thing, it shows you can work without teachers pushing you as well.

Also you'll have to talk to the sixth form about the early A Levels, it'll depend on what sixth form you want to go to.

I hope that helped :-)
Reply 2
In terms of level of qualification, they count as the same thing, but you do get two different certificates, if that's what you're asking. It's exactly the same thing as taking the same exam on multiple exam boards.

For the others, the above poster is 100% right :smile:
Original post by maths_geek
If you do an IGCSE along side a normal GCSE do you get 2 GCSE's at the end of the year for that subject? and if you home study your GCSE's at home do you still have a chance at getting into a really good sixth form? or university even? and if you do your a levels early, will the sixth form you go to allow that?
sorry! about the load of questions! an answer would be highly appreciated:smile:

The above comments are quite true. I studied IGCSES from home and it makes me stand out for any job, uni or college interviews as they want to know all about your experience of studying from home and being self motivated. It's been a massive help for me to gaining work experience positions and I'm hoping it'll help my uni offers. Also, IGCSES are undoubtedly harder than GCSES (especially if yours are all exam based like mine were). Make sure you spell this out to any college, sixth form or uni! Although, many already recognises IGCSES are tougher. They are also a wonderful grounding for the International Baccalaureate if you choose to go down that route.

Any more questions on IGCSES or IB.. Let me know
Reply 4
Original post by Katie_96
IGCSEs and GCSEs are two different qualifications, so say you did a maths IGCSE and a GCSE (I have no idea why you would do both) then you would have two qualifications not one.

You can definitely get into a good sixth form or college if you've learnt from home, it's about grades you achieve. It would make you stand out to Unis and this is generally a good thing, it shows you can work without teachers pushing you as well.

Also you'll have to talk to the sixth form about the early A Levels, it'll depend on what sixth form you want to go to.

I hope that helped :-)

thank you so much! I'll definitely talk to the sixth forms I'm thinking about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by hslakaal
In terms of level of qualification, they count as the same thing, but you do get two different certificates, if that's what you're asking. It's exactly the same thing as taking the same exam on multiple exam boards.

For the others, the above poster is 100% right :smile:

Oh right, thank you! I understand now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by taylorswiftx
The above comments are quite true. I studied IGCSES from home and it makes me stand out for any job, uni or college interviews as they want to know all about your experience of studying from home and being self motivated. It's been a massive help for me to gaining work experience positions and I'm hoping it'll help my uni offers. Also, IGCSES are undoubtedly harder than GCSES (especially if yours are all exam based like mine were). Make sure you spell this out to any college, sixth form or uni! Although, many already recognises IGCSES are tougher. They are also a wonderful grounding for the International Baccalaureate if you choose to go down that route.

Any more questions on IGCSES or IB.. Let me know

Wow! That's quite impressive! If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get- for Chem , biology, physics& maths? What's an international baccalaureate? Have you done further pure mathematics as an igcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
What grades do you have to get to go to Cambridge university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! That's quite impressive! If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get- for Chem , biology, physics& maths? What's an international baccalaureate? Have you done further pure mathematics as an igcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got A's for each of those :smile: I didn't do pure maths, edexcel IGCSE maths.

The international baccalaureate is technically the international equivalent to A levels but in reality it's much harder. You study six subjects, have to complete 150 hours of voluntary/creative/sports hours and you have to study a theory of knowledge course. It's studied worldwide and generally it's a great follow on from IGCSES. It's definitely a challenging option but it offers many opportunities that A level students wouldn't come across.

:smile:
Reply 9
I got A's for each of those :smile: I didn't do pure maths, edexcel IGCSE maths.

The international baccalaureate is technically the international equivalent to A levels but in reality it's much harder. You study six subjects, have to complete 150 hours of voluntary/creative/sports hours and you have to study a theory of knowledge course. It's studied worldwide and generally it's a great follow on from IGCSES. It's definitely a challenging option but it offers many opportunities that A level students wouldn't come across.

:smile:

That's good! Okay was edexcel igcse maths difficult? wow the international baccalaureate sounds tricky! But always a challenge is good! Could you send me all the exam boards that let you take the IB? Please :smile: & which six subjects do you study?
Reply 10
Do you know how to write succsessful PEEL English lit essays? Help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's good! Okay was edexcel igcse maths difficult? wow the international baccalaureate sounds tricky! But always a challenge is good! Could you send me all the exam boards that let you take the IB? Please :smile: & which six subjects do you study?

There's only one board that offers the IB and that's the IBO .. International baccalaureate organisation . I found maths really challenging and edexcel IGCSE maths is renowned for being hard as it involve calculus which no other GCSES board does. :smile:
Reply 12
There's only one board that offers the IB and that's the IBO .. International baccalaureate organisation . I found maths really challenging and edexcel IGCSE maths is renowned for being hard as it involve calculus which no other GCSES board does. :smile:

Oh wow! Do you have the notes for edexcel igcse maths? & could you tell me which book you used or the isbn number thanks I'll have a go at the edexcel igcse maths! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest