The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I could have worked harder but I really tryed to revise well but ended up with a d and 2 e's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Original post by imjustrach
Same! Only 1 person got a C and the rest of us got D's even though we got A/B in classroom work, something isn't right although I know the chief examiner marked ours :s-smilie:

How do you know it was the chief examiner?
Reply 222
Original post by yodawg321
Lol, my mate got FOUR U's! He's going on to the next year with those subjects !!!!

Surely it would just be better for him to retake the year?
I'm still looking; i'm happy to join anything, really, it'll be a good way to meet new people and find new hobbies :biggrin:
Haha, i guess it's because they're all smart and think they're better than most people :tongue:
Original post by yodawg321
Lol, my mate got FOUR U's! He's going on to the next year with those subjects !!!!
would rep irl
Original post by Deziah
Anyone else shocked with their F322 result? I went through the mark scheme and I calculated that I'd lost 5-10 which would be around 135 UMS. The grade boundaries were pretty high so I thought maybe they'd been a little lenient with the mark scheme. Turns out I've lost 20 marks and I've got 117 UMS. I'm not going to cry about it, and in all fairness I'm no marking expert so I easily could have miscounted - but I really don't understand where I went wrong. I worked really hard to know my chemistry inside and out, but I still lost 20 marks. I got higher in exams that I wasn't as confident in, and it just shows how deceiving A-level exams can be.

yeah I was pretty shocked, I thought the exam was pretty easy and I thought I lost around 3-7 marks, turns out I got 128 UMS which is still an A so i'm happy but I was expecting a bit higher... I think it's all the wordy questions which may have ****ed me up but still I thought it was a bit surprising, I still got an A overall though so I'm not too fussed about it. I'm just surprised I guess.
Reply 226
For saying that, you actually sound like a proper ****
Reply 227
Original post by Deziah
Anyone else shocked with their F322 result? I went through the mark scheme and I calculated that I'd lost 5-10 which would be around 135 UMS. The grade boundaries were pretty high so I thought maybe they'd been a little lenient with the mark scheme. Turns out I've lost 20 marks and I've got 117 UMS. I'm not going to cry about it, and in all fairness I'm no marking expert so I easily could have miscounted - but I really don't understand where I went wrong. I worked really hard to know my chemistry inside and out, but I still lost 20 marks. I got higher in exams that I wasn't as confident in, and it just shows how deceiving A-level exams can be.

Not really shocked but felt very confident after the exam and came out with 112 UMS! Which was slightly disappointing but I was expecting it to be a difficult exam so was pleasantly surprised when I found it ok. I was only 5 UMS off an overall A in chemistry, gutted, D: My friend who is brilliant at chemistry and could easily get an A* next year came out with a B too so it goes to show.
could i possibly get ABB and do psychology
i got A-psychology C-biology D-chem D- english lit
i just feel so dumb because i worked really hard:banghead:
I thought they were marked nicely. On my Unit 1 Sociology I didn't even get to finish either of my 2 essays, and I got an A in that paper. Overall I got AABB, one of the B's being in Citizenship that we had no lessons for and had to teach ourselves, which obviously no one did.
I got AAAAA, and the of the people I have asked the lowest result was ABBB, with most people achieving at least 3A's. So no, I do not think they were really harsh this year
i honestly dont know what you guys are complaining about..... We had to do the international edexcel papers and they were so much harder compared to the UK papers (apart from C3) with the grade boundaries for us sometimes being 10marks higher compared to the UK paper.....some of my friends feel really hard done by
Original post by Seble
How do you know it was the chief examiner?

Our head of English is really high up in AQA (Head of something, I forget what) so he found out.
Reply 233
defo harsh...i was hoping to get at least a B for maths, and i got a D, but i got B's on both my core 1 and 2, it was stats that just bombed me out. And i failed my physics, got A for unit 2 art but ended with a final C cuz my unit 1 sucked and a D for Drama....seriously...how are we suppose to apply do a decent uni with these grades. What about you guys?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I'm really not sure on what to do. I dunno if I should retake the year or carry on with my grades. Because if I carry on with it, I might not get the grade for uni and btw don't uni's give you offers based on you ASs? I'm screwed. Really confused...:cry2:
Aww luck on the bright side we are still living can you please answer my question and ill give u some advice aswell?:smile:
So, have you finished uni? :smile:
Haha, traumatic experience :tongue:

I use to go rock climbing and i would like to get back into it!
I know this is a stupid question, but is university fun and can you make friends easily? I'm moving so far away from where i live and i don't want to be lonely :colondollar:
Original post by imjustrach
Same! Only 1 person got a C and the rest of us got D's even though we got A/B in classroom work, something isn't right although I know the chief examiner marked ours :s-smilie:

Exactly how it is for my sixth form! One of my best friends did Combined, was getting As in every essay, A in coursework, ended up with an D or E in the exam and an overall C. The same thing happens every year with English and it just seems so unfair :s-smilie: Hmm, that's strange :frown:
Did anyone else's OCR history papers get given 1 mark below the grade boundaries? People I know have been getting 59, 69, 79 UMS but not the top grade A..? They are going to be busy with remarks this year.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I'm really not sure on what to do. I dunno if I should retake the year or carry on with my grades. Because if I carry on with it, I might not get the grade for uni and btw don't uni's give you offers based on you ASs? I'm screwed. Really confused...:cry2:

University's do give you offers based on your AS's, but mainly only those you are carrying on with. Just remember that if you retake the year, it can make some universities reject you on the spot!
Also, like with my University which i just got into, they are usually lenient on one or two grades - so let's say that you achieve BBC at AS, you would probably get accepted onto a course of ABB or ABC :smile:
Reply 239
So many of my friends are having to redo the whole of year 12 because their results where that bad (a mixture if Ds, Es and Us). It's the highest rate ever in my school!
I was hoping for AABB or ABBB at least but achieved BBCC. I'm requesting my paper back for a possible remark.

Quick Reply

Latest