The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at getting into LSE?

I want to go to LSE to study accounting and finance.I just finished my first year at college and got A's in maths, economics, English literature and media studies. I plan to drop media at A2. At GCSE I got 4A*'s, 8As and 2Bs. However I don't do too much out of my academic life, and I'm afraid my personal statement won't be good enough. I work at a charity shop and I have one relevant work experience in the finance department of a law firm, but other than that I don't have much else. I know that LSE is very competitive and I don't know if my A-level subjects will be good enough or if my lack of extra curricular activities will hinder my application significantly. Advice please? I don't know if I'm being too ambitious thinking I should apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by JodieW
I want to go to LSE to study accounting and finance.I just finished my first year at college and got A's in maths, economics, English literature and media studies. I plan to drop media at A2. At GCSE I got 4A*'s, 8As and 2Bs. However I don't do too much out of my academic life, and I'm afraid my personal statement won't be good enough. I work at a charity shop and I have one relevant work experience in the finance department of a law firm, but other than that I don't have much else. I know that LSE is very competitive and I don't know if my A-level subjects will be good enough or if my lack of extra curricular activities will hinder my application significantly. Advice please? I don't know if I'm being too ambitious thinking I should apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read some books. Show that you're interesting in A&F.
Reply 2
Original post by Lunch_Box
Read some books. Show that you're interesting in A&F.

I've done that and I will be mentioning it in my PS, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities tend not to be massively interested in your extra-curiculars, unless they are relevant to the course. Having some relevant work experience is good. They like you to have read around the subject- perhaps you could ask some people on here to reccomend a few books for you to read. The most important thing in a PS is to express your passion for the subject. If you have strong predicted grades, this will help your application. I think your GCSEs are fine, provided they meet any GCSE requirements LSE may have for your course. The only specific A level they ask for is maths, so you meet this requirement.

However LSE is very competitive, and every year it rejects lots of outstanding students, so try not to pin your hopes on it. No-one can say exactly what your chances are, as they don't know the standard of the other students applying this year. You get five choices, so maybe now is the time to think about where else you would like to go if you haven't already.
Reply 4
I think you have a good shot. Just try to get an A* in Mathematics and it should strengthen your chances.
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Universities tend not to be massively interested in your extra-curiculars, unless they are relevant to the course. Having some relevant work experience is good. They like you to have read around the subject- perhaps you could ask some people on here to reccomend a few books for you to read. The most important thing in a PS is to express your passion for the subject. If you have strong predicted grades, this will help your application. I think your GCSEs are fine, provided they meet any GCSE requirements LSE may have for your course. The only specific A level they ask for is maths, so you meet this requirement.

However LSE is very competitive, and every year it rejects lots of outstanding students, so try not to pin your hopes on it. No-one can say exactly what your chances are, as they don't know the standard of the other students applying this year. You get five choices, so maybe now is the time to think about where else you would like to go if you haven't already.

Thank you for the response! I think LSE is the most competitive of all my ink choices so hopefully I will get at least an offer from one of the other four.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Dilzo999
I think you have a good shot. Just try to get an A* in Mathematics and it should strengthen your chances.

I hope I can get an A* predicted grade for maths but I doubt it. Does anyone know if it's true that colleges generally only only predict A* grades for those who scored 90% or more in their AS exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by JodieW
I hope I can get an A* predicted grade for maths but I doubt it. Does anyone know if it's true that colleges generally only only predict A* grades for those who scored 90% or more in their AS exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the school really. If you truly believe you can get an A* then beg your teacher to predict you an A* but remember that, if you can't get it then you'll be lining yourself up for rejection come next results day. Either way requirements are AAA so I still think you're fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending