The Student Room Group

Which A-levels?

I'm coming up to year 11 and I'm taking my GCSEs next year, and I already kinda know what I want to do at A-levels because I hope to do Medicine in the future.

Subjects I'm thinking of doing

Biology and Chemistry definately
French most probably
Maths or Psychology or English Language (?)

Maths is something that could open doors to other careers and I wouldn't mind doing it as I'm not that bad (my target is an A), but I'm worried it's going to be too much pressure.

Psychology sounds interesting as I wouldn't mind going into psychiatry/psychology etc..

English could open other doors too, and French I would like to do because I want to become fluent and have an A-level language at least (my target at GCSE is an A*)

What advice do you have?
Okay two things:

(a) my dad is a psychiatrist and he has told me numerous times that psychology is no help to you when wishing to study psychiatry so don't do it for that reason
(b) psychology is not as well respected as your other two maybes and so therefore I would choose one of them; maths would be best because its well respected and not that bad, I do maths and love it!

Hope this helps, though you have loads of time to think about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Out of the three options, I would be inclined to suggest maths as medicine is such a competitive course. All the people I know who want to do medicine take the three sciences and maths!!

Sometimes psychology is considered a 'softer' A level by some universities (only relaying information, I am not saying psychology is soft!), so there is a possibility it wouldn't be as respected as something like English lang or maths.

This is only advice from what I know though! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Maths - respectable, easy to get high marks, fun
Ive heard of people getting into med with psychology

Ovviously maths would be the best but there's nothing wrong with psychology. In fact, it teaches you valuable skills in research design, which surely is important for med?

Depends where you want to apply really, obviously if Cambridge or Oxford the chose maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jodie.irwin27
Ive heard of people getting into med with psychology

Ovviously maths would be the best but there's nothing wrong with psychology. In fact, it teaches you valuable skills in research design, which surely is important for med?

Depends where you want to apply really, obviously if Cambridge or Oxford the chose maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they have nothing against psychology per se but will prefer maths and might give you the competitive edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by I like school
Okay two things:

(a) my dad is a psychiatrist and he has told me numerous times that psychology is no help to you when wishing to study psychiatry so don't do it for that reason
(b) psychology is not as well respected as your other two maybes and so therefore I would choose one of them; maths would be best because its well respected and not that bad, I do maths and love it!

Hope this helps, though you have loads of time to think about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Yeah I think maths would be the best choice, I'm just afraid I will get bored after a while :boring:
Reply 7
Original post by pepsifree
Out of the three options, I would be inclined to suggest maths as medicine is such a competitive course. All the people I know who want to do medicine take the three sciences and maths!!

Sometimes psychology is considered a 'softer' A level by some universities (only relaying information, I am not saying psychology is soft!), so there is a possibility it wouldn't be as respected as something like English lang or maths.

This is only advice from what I know though! Good luck! :smile:

I'll probably rule out psychology and english lang because maths seems the better option.:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Lunch_Box
Maths - respectable, easy to get high marks, fun

Reply 9
Original post by I like school
Yeah they have nothing against psychology per se but will prefer maths and might give you the competitive edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm probably going to end up doing maths cos of all the competition and people are saying it's fun and easy
Thanks by the way :h:

Quick Reply

Latest