The Student Room Group

Taking A2 Maths and AS and A2 further maths in one year?

Hey, I just wanted to run this by some people and see ifthey thought it was a good idea. I want to apply to Cambridge for NaturalSciences (physical side) and have done AS Chem, Bio, Physics, Maths and Econ. Ithink though it may look better if I say I’m going to take A2 further maths aswell.

At our school, the further maths students have alreadycompled their Maths A2 in the first year, and are going to do the whole furthermaths A level this year. Do you reckon I’d be able to join that class, andteach myself A2 maths as well? I have the motivation to teach myself subjects(Self taught AS Chem last year, got over 90% Ums) DO you think this would bepossible/wise?

Thanks very much,

Nick
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nich01as
Hey, I just wanted to run this by some people and see ifthey thought it was a good idea. I want to apply to Cambridge for NaturalSciences (physical side) and have done AS Chem, Bio, Physics, Maths and Econ. Ithink though it may look better if I say I’m going to take A2 further maths aswell.

At our school, the further maths students have alreadycompled their Maths A2 in the first year, and are going to do the whole furthermaths A level this year. Do you reckon I’d be able to join that class, andteach myself A2 maths as well? I have the motivation to teach myself subjects(Self taught AS Chem last year, got over 90% Ums) DO you think this would bepossible/wise?

Thanks very much,

Nick

I don't know which exam board you are with for Maths/Further Maths but for the AQA Further Pure modules, it is very important (maybe even crucial) to have done the Core 3 and 4 modules first.

If you really want to push this idea, then try and get yourself up to speed with Core 3 and 4 ASAP while joining the Further class. I would assume that your sixth form will teach Further Pure 1 first - which doesn't require Core 3 and 4 knowledge.

Overall, I think your idea would be very possible but I have to stress that you should knuckle down and get Core 3 and 4 under your belt, possibly by yourself, in order to be at the same level as the Further students.
Reply 2
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
I don't know which exam board you are with for Maths/Further Maths but for the AQA Further Pure modules, it is very important (maybe even crucial) to have done the Core 3 and 4 modules first.

If you really want to push this idea, then try and get yourself up to speed with Core 3 and 4 ASAP while joining the Further class. I would assume that your sixth form will teach Further Pure 1 first - which doesn't require Core 3 and 4 knowledge.

Overall, I think your idea would be very possible but I have to stress that you should knuckle down and get Core 3 and 4 under your belt, possibly by yourself, in order to be at the same level as the Further students.

I'm actually on OCR- but it'll likely be similar, and that a good point. I may start to have a look at them over the second half of summer. Hopefully I can convince the teachers
Original post by nich01as
I'm actually on OCR- but it'll likely be similar, and that a good point. I may start to have a look at them over the second half of summer. Hopefully I can convince the teachers

I took Maths and Further Maths in the same manner in which your sixth form does it.

There was one boy who came into our class in the second year wanting to do Further alongside his AS Maths - like yourself. He struggled right from the off due to him lacking knowledge that everyone else already knew and had already consolidated on the previous year.

But don't let that put you off :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest