The Student Room Group

AQA GCE English UNIT LITB3 - Unexpectedly low results

Hi, I received my results this morning, getting into Birmingham to study English & Philosophy with ABC, despite my offer being AAB.

My overall grade for English Lit was an A, however in the final exam (LITB3) I got a UMS of 63 and a D grade. This shocked me a little having got an A in the exam last year and both AS and A2 coursework. I felt the exam went well and in a similar question I'd completed as revision my teacher marked it as an A.

Perhaps I just had an off day but is it possible that the exam board undermarked my paper so badly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jack C
Hi, I received my results this morning, getting into Birmingham to study English & Philosophy with ABC, despite my offer being AAB.

My overall grade for English Lit was an A, however in the final exam (LITB3) I got a UMS of 63 and a D grade. This shocked me a little having got an A in the exam last year and both AS and A2 coursework. I felt the exam went well and in a similar question I'd completed as revision my teacher marked it as an A.

Perhaps I just had an off day but is it possible that the exam board undermarked my paper so badly?

Get it remarked.

I'm in the same position - got full ums last year in English lit, 93% coursework, full marks in LITB3 mock and straight As all year in class for it, did the exam and felt it went perfectly, got my result and it's a low D! Luckily I have still got an A overall for it, but I was expecting an A/A* for this exam and this D has hit me hard. Last year my school had problems with the marking for LITB3 and it has had small ones this year too.
Reply 2
Original post by Jack C

That is so freaky, I've just been rejected from my firm because I didn't get an A in English, which shocked me because I was certain I nailed this exam, the scary thing is I also got 63 UMS D, I honestly don't know how I got a D.
Reply 3
Original post by zakkaz
That is so freaky, I've just been rejected from my firm because I didn't get an A in English, which shocked me because I was certain I nailed this exam, the scary thing is I also got 63 UMS D, I honestly don't know how I got a D.

Mate you even got higher than me, I got 60 - absolute BS. This was the exam I felt most confident with and cannot believe the mark, get it remarked!
Reply 4
I sent mine off for a priority remark, what about you? I hope it didn't affect your uni application.

Reply 5
Original post by zakkaz
I sent mine off for a priority remark, what about you? I hope it didn't affect your uni application.

So have I. Um it did kinda, but I have a place on a gap year programme anyway so I didn't have to go through clearing or anything, no one in my school got higher than a B in the exam.
I'm exactly the same. A last year, full UMS in the coursework, predicted an A*, A*s in every single mock, and I got a D.
Reply 7
I've just got my LITB1 results. Got As all year and I got a C in this exam. Have AQA changed the boundaries or assessment objectives or something?!
I got 100% in the coursework so it's a B overall. How hard would it be to get that pulled up to an A by the end of A2 without having to resit anything?
Reply 8
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I'm exactly the same. A last year, full UMS in the coursework, predicted an A*, A*s in every single mock, and I got a D.

Ditto, priority remark? I cannot see for the life of me how my answer could justify getting a low D grade, hoping my remark changes it a fair bit!
Reply 9
I just checked the ums calculator and according to AQA my script was worth 30 raw marks out of 80, but I know that my section A alone was worth over 30 marks.

But all I can do now is wait...
Reply 10
Original post by zakkaz
I just checked the ums calculator and according to AQA my script was worth 30 raw marks out of 80, but I know that my section A alone was worth over 30 marks.

But all I can do now is wait...

Fingers crossed for you. I just did the same and apparently got 28 marks in total, averaging 14 on each section. In class I haven't got lower then 30 on either section, the marking is a joke!
I just got my AS AQA litb result, I too got a D grade [63 marks], but I felt the exam went pretty well? I hit all the learning objectives like I was taught and genuinely thought I would've done better.

My concern is that if I get it remarked and then its graded lower, will my AS marks be lower? Or don't you have to take the remarked grade??
Ended up getting a B overall because of this stupid exam, but thankfully my firm accepted me anyway! I just don't understand how I could've gotten 52 marks in that exam, I really thought it went quite well :frown:
Yeah I got weird in this exam, like 84 UMS or something, a B...I've gotten good grades (As) in everything else, and As and A*s in my essays...this was the only exam I've got a B in this year! And my friend who got Cs consistently got a low D, giving her a D overall rather than the C she was expecting...

I feel like I can't complain too much for mine because I did screw up my conclusions and rambled a tad so I wasn't expecting A* or anything, but I was still a bit surprised because a high B/low A because of the exam last year I'd done the same type of thing and came out with a decent UMS (105). I still got an A overall, so it's okay for me, but it was a bit odd and out of place...
Reply 14
AQA are right to be taking an absolute hammering for this.

In my sixth form last June, in LITB1, only 3 out of around 60 got an A. Meanwhile, in LITB3, only one student got a B (everything else lower), therefore only one student getting an A for the whole A-level.

Considering AQA's marking last year (mine was changed by 15 raw marks post remark), I was convinced I'd squandered any chance of getting the A* immediately after leaving the A2 exam. After seeing the grade boundaries, I was positive. Amazingly, I ended up with 120 this morning, combined with 80 in coursework, getting an A* overall. If your result isn't as expected, I urge you to send for a remark ASAP, the inconsistencies are quite ridiculous.
Reply 15
I can't believe i just got a C in that exam (76UMS) sending it off for a remark because that's also affected my firm offer... had a solid A as AS and A* in the coursework as well :\
Reply 16
I don't know what to do. Can I have some advice. I received my AS results and discovered I got a C for English literature. I got a E in my exam and a A in my coursework. The whole entire English class including me failed, the highest being a C. Hopefully the exam remarks will prove something wrong. If the whole class fails there must be something wrong. Also I was three marks away from a A in philosophy so should I send for a remark.
I can't belive it either. I got 65.. And got a D. I was expcting an A/A* in the paper. I feel as though i have really let my teachers down as they put sooo much effort in making sure my mock exams were up to that standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt so confident with this exam & I needed up with 61 UMS marks & so I didn't get into my firm :/ was so annoyed like literally noone in my class got higher than a D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Does anyone have any success stories from remarks going up a lot in AQA English? Mine would have to go up by 25 ums to make a difference to my grade, and I can't imagine them admitting they marked an A grade paper wrongly as a C.

I had a friend last year who got a C in the exam, she's going to Cambridge and is an A* student, a remark didn't improve her grade at all. I can't work out if it's worth £50 quid or not :/

Quick Reply

Latest