The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You maths types with your assuredness and your 100% scores! I can already see this becoming annoying. Try a subject like history, or any humanities, where even a far greater degree of *critical* thought and encyclopaedic knowledge won't get you a perfect score! :P

-Disclaimer- I am just poking fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This might sound weird, but I feel slightly inadequate with A*AA! I know I'm in so I am really happy still but I think I'll be average at best at Cambridge!!
Original post by HistoryHistory
You maths types with your assuredness and your 100% scores! I can already see this becoming annoying. Try a subject like history, or any humanities, where even a far greater degree of *critical* thought and encyclopaedic knowledge won't get you a perfect score! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who did History at St. John's who got a starred first (that's about as much of a perfect score as you can get right?)
Original post by Oromis263
Look who is talking Mr. 'I get special phone calls' :wink: Girlfriend's prove useful! :biggrin:

I suppose I'd better get used to this. :lol: It was nothing special; I didn't even get what I wanted put in!

Well, if it helps to redeem us Arts-y folks, I got 100% in my history A level :wink: Maybe us Arts people should emphasise our strong points to even out the discussion :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 3585
Original post by Muppetmad
Well, if it helps to redeem us Arts-y folks, I got 100% in my history A level :wink: Maybe us Arts people should emphasise our strong points to even out the discussion :tongue:

Spoiler

If your experience is anything like mine, get used to spending three years feeling inferior to the scientists...
Original post by shamika
I know someone who did History at St. John's who got a starred first (that's about as much of a perfect score as you can get right?)

I don't mean to say you can't get a high first - i just did for my dissertation. I mean to say no historian would award an essay 100%, for example, because the subject is based upon interpretation and conjecture. The competent mathematicians, on the other hand, will be awarded 100% all of the time, because there is a 'correct' answer for them to find.

But well done to your friend!
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

Well done you :P. However I am probably right in saying that means you ticked the appropriate boxes, rather than that your historical interpretation is 100% accurate.

Not to demean your success, which is of course promising, but you will soon find that A Level history is looked upon rather despairingly by university academics - who see a lot of people who struggle to write essays, and who are used to the rote learning of 'facts', which do not exist in any meaningful sense.

In the main, it is often said that the postmodernist movement has completely failed to permeate the A Level curriculum - which is further diminished by political interference and a dependency upon patriotic or nationalist themes. Hitler and the Nazis being the obvious example.
Original post by lp386
If your experience is anything like mine, get used to spending three years feeling inferior to the scientists...

Haha, I have a sibling who's a Cambridge scientist, I'm already used to the feeling :wink:

Well done you :P. However I am probably right in saying that means you ticked the appropriate boxes, rather than that your historical interpretation is 100% accurate.

Not to demean your success, which is of course promising, but you will soon find that A Level history is looked upon rather despairingly by university academics - who see a lot of people who struggle to write essays, and who are used to the rote learning of 'facts', which do not exist in any meaningful sense.

In the main, it is often said that the postmodernist movement has completely failed to permeate the A Level curriculum - which is further diminished by political interference and a dependency upon patriotic or nationalist themes. Hitler and the Nazis being the obvious example.

Of course :wink: I know the degree is going to be a hell of a lot harder. As you say, there is of course no perfect essay or interpretation. I was speaking only in jest in regards to the scientists and mathematicians.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lp386

I shall be doing History of Science. It's a necessary, entertaining and effective way of undermining them :P. Newton, for example, and his overlooked Alchemical and Biblical tendencies :biggrin:
Haha, I have a sibling who's a Cambridge scientist, I'm already used to the feeling :wink:

Of course :wink: I know the degree is going to be a hell of a lot harder. As you say, there is of course no perfect essay or interpretation. I was speaking only in jest in regards to the scientists and mathematicians.

We can't let them get too confident :biggrin:
Reply 3591

Agreed on the last point, but I am under the impression 'excessive' postmodernism in history has itself been challenged recently....notably by Richard Evans (in 'In Defence of History'). That would imply the current A Level isn't completely out of touch with pretty much every university academic. That right? I may be completely wrong as I've only just done the A Level myself :colondollar:

Congrats to everyone who got in btw, I'm so happy I managed to get my offer...
Original post by cpmurph
Agreed on the last point, but I am under the impression 'excessive' postmodernism in history has itself been challenged recently....notably by Richard Evans (in 'In Defence of History'). That would imply the current A Level isn't completely out of touch with pretty much every university academic. That right? I may be completely wrong as I've only just done the A Level myself :colondollar:

Congrats to everyone who got in btw, I'm so happy I managed to get my offer...

Definitely true that postmodernism can go too far. However it's not a clear cut choice between postmodernism and the A Level curriculum as it stands. Evans is still a progressive and you will notice for instance that he has been one of the leading critics of Gove and Starkey's view of history, and of their plans for the history curriculum in schools.

That is a great book though.

p.s. Have a look at this - I do not mean to infer that the Daily Mail is right in its leanings, but it highlights how this argument is operating: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2062280/David-Starkey-vs-Richard-Evans-Its-battle-History-Men.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Comanche13
Are you automatically in the summer pool if you missed your offer and haven't been rejected on UCAS? Or have you been notified you are in the Summer Pool? Many thanks

I don't know- I haven't been rejected on UCAS, and haven't been notified that I'm in the summer pool, so I'm merely assuming.
Original post by sparrowhawk4
I wasn't told that I was in the pool, I emailed my college to check if they got my UMS, and asked if I could have an update on what was happening with my application. Maybe you could try that?

Have you heard anything about it yet? I rang up yesterday to confirm they got my UMS, and have just emailed to inform them about a re-mark and to ask about the pooling situation, so thank you :smile:
Original post by Powerfrau
Have you heard anything about it yet? I rang up yesterday to confirm they got my UMS, and have just emailed to inform them about a re-mark and to ask about the pooling situation, so thank you :smile:

Not a thing. I think we have to wait till the pool is over?
Original post by iamsherlocked
Hi there, I think I remember you from the Winter Pool thread! :hello: The fishing colleges seem to have set some really tough offers this year. I know at my college, we had a post-Pool offer-holder visit day and they did say to us then not to panic about the high offers as they might well still accept us if we narrowly missed. This has been proved true in my case as I was 3 ums off A* in English and they accepted me after a few hours :smile: - it should definitely help your case that you are so close in both the subjects which you have A's in. And if not, all offer-holders with A*AA (except Maths i think) are automatically entered into Summer Pool, where I think you would have a good chance given that you achieved the grades which are the university's normal standard offer and very nearly made more A*s. I know it's a tough waiting game :hugs: but sit tight, try to find yourself something good to do to keep you occupied and hopefully something good will come your way soon :smile: xx

Hello! Of course, I'd remember your username anywhere. :smile: Thank you so much for your support, I have actually been periodically reading this message to lift my hopes up. Congratulations on being accepted by the way! You must be ecstatic. :biggrin:
It's not long now until I find out my fate, I think they're making all the important decisions now. Magdalene still haven't contacted me so I'm taking that as a sign that I'm in the summer pool. Realistically, I don't think it's likely I'll be fished yet another time. However, the email I received yesterday did say that they would be happy to take me if my grades went up after a remark. So perhaps I'll get a second chance. Or maybe that's my desire to not give up on Cambridge talking. :redface:
Original post by sparrowhawk4
Not a thing. I think we have to wait till the pool is over?

Yep, I guess so. Good luck!
Reply 3598
Definitely true that postmodernism can go too far. However it's not a clear cut choice between postmodernism and the A Level curriculum as it stands. Evans is still a progressive and you will notice for instance that he has been one of the leading critics of Gove and Starkey's view of history, and of their plans for the history curriculum in schools.

That is a great book though.

p.s. Have a look at this - I do not mean to infer that the Daily Mail is right in its leanings, but it highlights how this argument is operating: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2062280/David-Starkey-vs-Richard-Evans-Its-battle-History-Men.html

Oh yeah totally, I wasn't trying to endorse the (in my view) outdated, Whiggish and triumphalist attitude to national history that people like Starkey, Gove and Ferguson (particularly on the British Empire) espouse. Guess that makes me a militant Marxist, British hating supporter of Stalin's genocide, according to the Mail writer :tongue:

I was just making the point, that you've acknowledged, that most academics don't believe the hard post-modern view that there is no such thing as history, just pure interpretation.
Reply 3599
Original post by wibletg
:creep:

Stalking me? :tongue:

Original post by Lost And Confused
Thanks, will be seeing you soonish I guess :wink: Which accommodation have you applied for?
Awesome - I've already found you :colondollar:
Yeah, just my way of distinguishing it as being equivalent to an extra As level (except you can get an a*) :biggrin:

Yes, yes you are :smile: I mean, unless there's an incredible coincidence in someone completely matching your username :L
And yes, it is a very cool name :smile: Out of interest, how hard is it to find me?

Incidentally, I didn't even know you were Pembroke Etoile? Will have to try to stalk work out who you are too :rolleyes:

I'm not - I just looked on the Pembroke page and saw him :tongue: I'm Gonville & Caius.

Latest

Trending

Trending