The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabeena
Nope it still says that Aston, which is my firm, hasn't made a decision yet. Still conditional offer :/ they were supposed to email me today but haven't. Going to ring them up tomorrow morning

In that case, that's definitely a good idea. Good luck tomorrow morning!
I need roughly five more raw marks to meet my offer, which chemistry modules should I get remarked?
Chem - 411 UMS (High C Overall)
(My other module grades are expected)
CHEM5 - 69/120 (D)
CHEM3 - 32/60 (D) (practical exam)
CHEM6 - 36/60 (C) (practical exam)
I've already paid for a remark of CHEM5, I was wondering whether I should get CHEM3 and CHEM6 remarked too... just in case even though they're practical exams.... Also, does anyone know how long it will take? My firm rejected me, but said that if I got my chemistry to a B after a remark they would give me a place.
Reply 62
how long does a priority remark take? i cant stand more waiting!
Hi Lou,
Hands up- I'm a stalking parent with jetlag (hence up so early).
Exactly the same situation in this house. Good/excellent grades but no peace of mind that the 'right/ anticipated' result came in 3 modules across 3 subjects ( 2 grades below predicted) which dropped 3 grades. Its a really really hard situation but we are encouraging a remark. Its tough discussing this with anyone when some others perhaps haven't made their offers, but this is about you and how you feel about yourself. The school were very supportive and suggested a remark as long as you are able to loose a few more marks and still stay in the grade boundary you now find yourself in.
Good Luck!
Reply 64
Hello, everyone!
My grades turned out to be veryy baddd, much lower than I expected.

For my AS i got

Economics(edexcel): C (131/200) [daamn i thought i was soo good at it, have no idea what the hell went wrong!! A was predicted]

History: B

Media Studies D

Maths: D

the question is, weather it is still possible to apply for AAB unis if i will be trying to retake some of my AS's??? For media - got an A for coursework, but screwed up on the exam... resitting 1 module for economics and hoping to get an A overall, and 1 module in history...

would my teachers give me good predictions despite my current failures considering i worked damn hard and was aiming for AAB?
Hi there, I got an a*ab in my a2's and got into my chosen university course but still unhappy, the b was in RE as I got an a in one exam and a d in the other - this doesn't make sense as the whole way through year14 Ive been sittin at A GRADE, im 18 points of an a, is it worth getting remarked???thanks in advance x
Reply 66
Can you get a priority remark if you've already met your firm's offer, or is it only a non priority available to you then?
Reply 67
In my History AS I got a C overall but I got an A in my USA module (82 marks) and a D in my Britain module (57 marks). I felt the Britain exam had gone well and don't think there should be such a big gap in grades. What's my best bet that a mistake has been made? What service should I get done,if any? :frown: :confused: - the exam board is AQA

I really really need help guys!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by elizabeacom
Hi there, I got an a*ab in my a2's and got into my chosen university course but still unhappy, the b was in RE as I got an a in one exam and a d in the other - this doesn't make sense as the whole way through year14 Ive been sittin at A GRADE, im 18 points of an a, is it worth getting remarked???thanks in advance x

Which board is it with?
I was only 1 mark off achieving an A grade in Edexcel History (319/400 overall), so I've sent off for a non priority remark (already made my university offer, but I would've kicked myself if I didn't see what could happen considering the weirdly low result I received on the paper.)

I know that Edexcel says that they aim for 30 days, but can it really take that long, or is it more typical that it'd come back sooner? Also, how does the refund policy work? Is it only if the marks go up, or is it if they change at all?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by elizabeacom

It seems like the high grades were in soft subjects
Reply 71
like everyone, I got my A Level results yesterday and I didn't get what I was expecting. I had AAAB for AS in chemistry, biology, maths and physics but I dropped physics in A2. My predicted grades were AAA so I was hoping to take a gap year and apply for 2014 entry this September for Pharmacy but, I went to collect my results yesterday and I got BBB . In all the three subjects, I've missed A grade by only few UMS;3 ums in Maths, 6 in chemistry and 7 ums in Biology so I was thinking of resitting 1 module for each of the subjects. But i'm not sure if this is a good idea, since I really wanted to apply to Nottingham, UCL and kings college London. these three universities are one of the best unis in UK so I am worried that they wont consider my application equally as other applicants'. What should I do? should is resit? remark? I got 83/90 in my smaller A2 bio unit whilst I got 90/150 in the other unit so should I get this paper remarked?
Reply 72
I hate that I've now missed my offer, got my place through clearing and am happy with it but now everything I read implies that those who didn't do as well as they'd have liked in their A levels found it difficult! Personally I was gutted that my physics A2 was a C, but would have no idea what to do about it as overall in marking there were loads of things I wasn't expecting. For example on my coursework in physics I was told I should get an A but was then a low B, and in the exams, for which I did loads of revision and wasn't getting below a B at all, in fact was getting borderline A every time I then received a D and a C, the C was in an exam where I was really confident about all my answers. I think they've really screwed up A level grade boundaries this year! And in music I got a B in the theory exam when 62/90 marks were from essays, and I'd been getting full marks on every one of these essays for almost the whole year, and 28/90 were a listening test, from which at least 8 were guaranteed because I have perfect pitch and almost exclusively get full marks on dictation, and this was one which I checked against others and was perfectly sure I got all marks on, the remaining 20 marks were ones Itypically got 70% and over on. This should definitely have been an A in my opinion.
Reply 73
Heya, so for the exam OCR A2 History: Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 my whole school completly underachieved as in everyone who was predicated an A* got a C in this paper and thoose predicted an A got a D ect..we were all pretty shocked, I was just wondering if anyone else had this at their schools with this paper or any of the themes paper topics? It does'nt affect my uni place as I still got the overall A in history I needed but we all are sending off for a re-mark due to the unexpected nature of the results!
Reply 74
How realistic is it to have obtained ABB at A2 and apply for undergraduate medicine as a gap year student? I understand only a few universities offer this including UEA (only with predictions of A*AA) and considering that my teachers are extremely strict on predicted grades I may have to transfer to a different local school and perhaps have the required predictions there. There is also the risk of not being able to achieve those grades in the end or not even having an offer in the first place :frown:

I currently have an unconditional firm for pharmacy at UEA, although that isn't the course I have set my heart on... should i take the opportunity and take the course and if I'm still committed to Medicine, apply to graduate medicine with a pharmacy degree under my belt?
Reply 75
Original post by vicky8761
how long does a priority remark take? i cant stand more waiting!

It depends on the exam board and subject. I know of people who requested priority remarks for Edexcel Maths and got the remark result back within a day or two. In general though, it can take up to 1-2 weeks (sometimes 3, but that's about the maximum). :smile:
I need some advice.

I missed my offer for my first choice by a few UMS in one subject. It transpires that my coursework grade is letting me down. I was told to expect an A in my coursework after my teacher marked it, but I ended up with a C, which cost me a grade. It wouldn't be unreasonable to say that my school may have got something wrong about the requirements of the coursework.

I feel that this is a bit unfair, as I was guided in the wrong direction, leading me to miss out on my offer.

What can I do?
Original post by mel c:)
I hate that I've now missed my offer, got my place through clearing and am happy with it but now everything I read implies that those who didn't do as well as they'd have liked in their A levels found it difficult! Personally I was gutted that my physics A2 was a C, but would have no idea what to do about it as overall in marking there were loads of things I wasn't expecting. For example on my coursework in physics I was told I should get an A but was then a low B, and in the exams, for which I did loads of revision and wasn't getting below a B at all, in fact was getting borderline A every time I then received a D and a C, the C was in an exam where I was really confident about all my answers. I think they've really screwed up A level grade boundaries this year! And in music I got a B in the theory exam when 62/90 marks were from essays, and I'd been getting full marks on every one of these essays for almost the whole year, and 28/90 were a listening test, from which at least 8 were guaranteed because I have perfect pitch and almost exclusively get full marks on dictation, and this was one which I checked against others and was perfectly sure I got all marks on, the remaining 20 marks were ones Itypically got 70% and over on. This should definitely have been an A in my opinion.

It may have been the exams themselves that are the problem, or your ability to do exams. I know people who are very clever and can do mocks no problem, and cope with coursework/classwork but bomb actual exams.

If you were marking your own exams, you may have been too lenient on yourself. Exam boards tend to look for specific buzz words, so if you don't include them or explain something in a specific way then you can lose a lot of marks. This is especially relevant in Physics.

If you think it's a fluke, retake. There's no point doing something you don't really want to do and regretting it in the long run.
Is it reasonable to ask for a remark in my Chemistry as in 1 exam I was 1 UMS off the A grade for that module and 3 UMS off the overall A grade too. I'm also sure my coursework got marked down because of the other student in my class as we both got the same coursework mark but he was meant to have 1 just higher than mine so I feel my coursework has been marked down because of the teacher being too lenient on him, what can I do about this situation?
Reply 79
Original post by WhereDidIPutMyCar
It may have been the exams themselves that are the problem, or your ability to do exams. I know people who are very clever and can do mocks no problem, and cope with coursework/classwork but bomb actual exams.

If you were marking your own exams, you may have been too lenient on yourself. Exam boards tend to look for specific buzz words, so if you don't include them or explain something in a specific way then you can lose a lot of marks. This is especially relevant in Physics.

If you think it's a fluke, retake. There's no point doing something you don't really want to do and regretting it in the long run.

What I'd like to do is retake it, however I think in the current education system there are no flukes, just ridiculously high standards which in my opinion affected me both in grade boundaries, admittedly this was mainly in music, and with examiners which for me would probably be both in music and physics, they require a certain degree of interpretation by examiners who mark things which clearly didn't turn out in my favour. Although I am not particularly good at exams, I've worked and worked until I got about the grades I wanted, in physics mocks in the end I was always around an A, coursework was marked as A borderline, and in music what I have said about my average marks in theory mocks was no exagerration, I now have both grade 8 and ATCL diploma distinction, am on a piano scholarship and was getting full marks in every essay as marked by my music teacher, who used to be a music examiner as well as dictations, as for listening well I've listened to music from Bach to Bartok, Goldsmith to Miles Davis and play almost as wide a range of music so I think I can recognise composers, I knew my answers to some of the listening test were right anyway, it was instantly obvious that the piece we listened to was a mass as it was a repetition of the word "benedictus" as lyrics and I've looked it up, Haydn did write a mass in 1799 and the benedictus section is exactly the one we listened to.

Quick Reply

Latest