The Student Room Group

Should I still go for Medicine??

So I got my results yesterday. It was:
Bio-A
Chem-B
Maths-A
Further maths -A
Economics -A

I would like to do medicine however that B in chemistry is really making me nervous. I am hoping to be predicted A for chemistry and will probably retake next year.

Do you think I should still go for it??
If yes, what universities do you recommend??
I was looking at Oxford and Cambridge....do you know which one I will have a better chance in??

Help me please :'(

Also is it better to drop 2 subjects or just one??
Original post by Khush
Bio-A
Chem-B
Maths-A
Further maths -A
Economics -A

I would like to do medicine however that B in chemistry is really making me nervous. I am hoping to be predicted A for chemistry and will probably retake next year.

I was looking at Oxford and Cambridge....do you know which one I will have a better chance in??

With those AS grades I'd definitely apply. You can improve you chemistry grade in June, anyway.

Have you done the UKCAT?
Reply 2
Thanks. My parents are freaking out which in turn freaked me out.
Working really hard for ukcat which is in 2 weeks time. :smile:

Do you recommend any unis??
Reply 3
Original post by Khush
Bio-A
Chem-B
Maths-A
Further maths -A
Economics -A

still go i am actually in a simmilar position with respect to as grades check profile for grades.My advice would be to stay away from as dependent unis like cambridge and ucl other than that as long as you are predicted AAA you have a chance
Reply 4
Original post by bloodwolfi
still go i am actually in a simmilar position with respect to as grades check profile for grades.My advice would be to stay away from as dependent unis like cambridge and ucl other than that as long as you are predicted AAA you have a chance

Thanks. So do you think i have a better chance at oxford??
Original post by Khush
Thanks. My parents are freaking out which in turn freaked me out.
Working really hard for ukcat which is in 2 weeks time. :smile:

Do you recommend any unis??

You must be Asian :cool:

I'd decide which unis to apply to after after I got my UKCAT score if I were you. As far as applying to Oxford is concerned, a lot depends on how you did in your GCSE's and BMAT score as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Khush
Thanks. So do you think i have a better chance at oxford??

What is your A* percentage at GCSE? That is an important part of the selection procedure at Oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by g.k.galloway
What is your A* percentage at GCSE? That is an important part of the selection procedure at Oxford.

I got 10 a* and an a for gcse. Does it help?
Reply 8
Original post by Blackshadow
You must be Asian :cool:

I'd decide which unis to apply to after after I got my UKCAT score if I were you. As far as applying to Oxford is concerned, a lot depends on how you did in your GCSE's and BMAT score as well.

Hahaha indeed i am. And yeah my parents are now just in a desperado mood. I am also working towards my bmat. Youself??
Original post by Khush
Hahaha indeed i am. And yeah my parents are now just in a desperado mood. I am also working towards my bmat. Youself??

Haha typical. Seeing that you got 10A*s at GCSE it's definitely worth a shot applying to Oxford.

I'm a second year medic :smile:
Original post by Khush
I got 10 a* and an a for gcse. Does it help?

Yes-I was going to expand on this point but I don't really have any valid points to make :colondollar: (I believe Oxford place more emphasis on your GCSE's though)
Plus, if you really enjoy medicine in my opinion it won't really matter what university you go to as long as you enjoy the course and in essense what you're doing.
Reply 11
Haha typical. Seeing that you got 10A*s at GCSE it's definitely worth a shot applying to Oxford.

I'm a second year medic :smile:

:eek: you shall be my bible towards medical school now. Hahaha. How are you finding it and what uni do you go to if you dont mind me asking. :smile: must be tough.
Original post by Khush
:eek: you shall be my bible towards medical school now. Hahaha. How are you finding it and what uni do you go to if you dont mind me asking. :smile: must be tough.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions! I'm enjoying in the course :yep: I go to Cardiff. It was pretty tough in the beginning but you get used to the work load :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by EvasiveRose
Yes-I was going to expand on this point but I don't really have any valid points to make :colondollar: (I believe Oxford place more emphasis on your GCSE's though)
Plus, if you really enjoy medicine in my opinion it won't really matter what university you go to as long as you enjoy the course and in essense what you're doing.

:tongue: i shall take that as a compliment.
I agree...it would be good to go to any university however my parents are insistent on me at least trying to go to a well known one. I dont have my hopes set on it but it would be good to go there^^ imperial is the one im amazed by.
Reply 14
Feel free to pm if you have any questions! I'm enjoying in the course :yep: I go to Cardiff. It was pretty tough in the beginning but you get used to the work load :smile:

Danke danke. You never know. I may just pop up there next next year :tongue:
Sigh work work work from now on. But it must be interesting. So shmurh, working it is!!
Original post by Khush
:tongue: i shall take that as a compliment.
I agree...it would be good to go to any university however my parents are insistent on me at least trying to go to a well known one. I dont have my hopes set on it but it would be good to go there^^ imperial is the one im amazed by.

Typical asian parents- I know how you feel. Hopefully, once you've done your A-Levels you'll get into the univeristy you want to go to because at the end of the day you're the one who has to spend the next 3/6 years of your life there (although your parents would tend to disagree; exclaiming that they're putting their lives on hold for 3/6 years until you achieve your degree :laugh: )
Reply 16
Original post by EvasiveRose
Typical asian parents- I know how you feel. Hopefully, once you've done your A-Levels you'll get into the univeristy you want to go to because at the end of the day you're the one who has to spend the next 3/6 years of your life there (although your parents would tend to disagree; exclaiming that they're putting their lives on hold for 3/6 years until you achieve your degree :laugh: )

You know my situation well :biggrin: they refuse to see that i will be the one doing the work so an environment i like is suitable. I have been to oxford and it is quite suitable so i dont complain much xD. Thanks.

Original post by Khush
You know my situation well :biggrin: they refuse to see that i will be the one doing the work so an environment i like is suitable. I have been to oxford and it is quite suitable so i dont complain much xD. Thanks.

Well, good luck- no matter where you go. I'd be wary of your parents though- incase they try to decide where you work too :hide:
Original post by Khush

Make sure the unis you apply to have the teaching style you like (pbl/lecture based etc).

Quick Reply

Latest