The Student Room Group

Got my AS grades today - disappointing - advice please.

U - Chemistry E- Biology B- History A-Economics --- I'm considering resitting both biology and chemistry whilst continuing with Biology next year, however I was also considering dropping chemistry entirely and taking up an essay based subject like politics or sociology instead, which I find much easier. Advice please? Really starting to kick myself now, I got a B in my chemistry mock :frown:
Original post by James Flahey
U - Chemistry E- Biology B- History A-Economics --- I'm considering resitting both biology and chemistry whilst continuing with Biology next year, however I was also considering dropping chemistry entirely and taking up an essay based subject like politics or sociology instead, which I find much easier. Advice please? Really starting to kick myself now, I got a B in my chemistry mock :frown:

Hi there,

I think the first advice I would give you is to not take the easy way because it's easier. Next I would advise you to consider your future career prospects (what you would like to do long term). Most importantly don't put yourself down because you didn't succeed on this attempt. Sit down and try to ask your yourself why you didn't achieve the grades you wanted and work out how you would overcome them for the next exam.

Hope this assists you....
Reply 2
Original post by AlwaysBlessed
Hi there,I think the first advice I would give you is to not take the easy way because it's easier. Next I would advise you to consider your future career prospects (what you would like to do long term). Most importantly don't put yourself down because you didn't succeed on this attempt. Sit down and try to ask your yourself why you didn't achieve the grades you wanted and work out how you would overcome them for the next exam.Hope this assists you....
I wanted to history or law at uni... but Ill need three grades for an offer of course. I'll have to see what im predicited
Original post by James Flahey
I wanted to history or law at uni... but Ill need three grades for an offer of course. I'll have to see what im predicited

Well I would say going from what your future ambitions are it may not be such a loss to so politics or sociology. I would suggest looking into the criterion universities are looking for candidates to meet. In addition, it would be a good idea to check the competitiveness of places for said courses at university to see if you need to give yourself an edge over the competition.
I reckon with luck you could get predicted A* A C or even A* A B with those. Recommend dropping Chemistry and retaking something in Biology - did you do badly in one exam or was it just in general?

Now, I would then take up another essay based subject for AS-Level. Maybe do an Extended Project? Then just work as hard as you bloody can next year.
I just talked to someone who wants to do law at uni and is going through with the Partner's Scheme at Newcastle uni. You need ABB to get in. Luckily enough you already have an A and a B in History and Economics which is great congrats. You just need to really work on putting either your Biology or Chemistry up to a B, you can do this by resitting the modules to bring up your UMS marks and hopefully overall you will get a B. I wouldn't pick another subject that is easier because you will have to complete AS and A2 in that subject in one year, I would stick with the grades you have got and try to improve on them. They are not bad grades either, you should be proud! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply