The Student Room Group

Kissed/touched another guy but does my boyfriend have to know?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zarek
But again, there is a reality here that alcohol does often lead to stupid behaviour and sometimes very bad behaviour, in many contexts. Yet it is widely accepted as a pleasant social lubricant, when probably it should be banned!

Agree with you that it is an insulting inflammatory excuse where earth shattering betrayal has occurred. But I do feel in some contexts it could be weighed in as a mitigating factor.

Bet OP (if she is for real) wishes she had never sought out advice..

I accept that but drinking enough as a social lubricant is not enough to commit truly terrible acts. I'm not sure how familiar you are with being drunk but there is a surprising element of self control people have - they just choose to not exercise it because they want to be silly and have fun and know that people won't judge them as much, but when you know it's truly bad you will be able to stop yourself. If you drink so much that you can't even exercise that self control and you drank enough that it's no longer 'just a social lubricant' that's where your second statement comes in. It most definitely is insulting to insinuate they should cut you some slack because you CHOSE to be in a position where you lost all self control and want to get off the hook for all actions committed in that state.

Hence the 'drunk is never an excuse' regardless of how much the alcohol actually affected your behaviour. It's not intended to imply that alcohol doesn't impair your judgement but to say that it's up to you to accept the responsibility of being drunk.
(edited 10 years ago)
To err is human. To cover it up is just cowardly.

You need to look for some new friends.
Reply 82
I wouldn't tell him if it were me - I wouldn't want to lose my boyfriend. If the guilt is eating you up, though, you may feel more comfortable by telling him, regardless of whether the relationship ends or not.
Why anyone posts something like this looking for advice is so freaking beyond me.
Reply 84
errrr.....seriously??

:facepalm:
Totally agree with you, *high five* :tongue:
Either you are a troll or a next level tool. How can you, as a man say this?

You're directly telling her to be dishonest about talking to him about it so he thinks she's being honest.
Original post by Treeroy
I wouldn't tell him if it were me - I wouldn't want to lose my boyfriend. If the guilt is eating you up, though, you may feel more comfortable by telling him, regardless of whether the relationship ends or not.

You what?!

I broke up with the only girl I ever loved because she kissed a guy in a nightclub, nothing more. Now there's been times I've regretted it because we'd probably be together now if I hadn't and I've missed her a lot.

but the point is, it's made me stronger as a person and when I've got a wife and kids that I know I can depend on I'll look back and think "I'm proud of myself for doing the right thing"

Whereas you'd probably look back and think "I was a sniffling little mug when I was a teenager and I should've manned up".
Reply 88
Original post by StringerBell9
You what?!

I broke up with the only girl I ever loved because she kissed a guy in a nightclub, nothing more. Now there's been times I've regretted it because we'd probably be together now if I hadn't and I've missed her a lot.

but the point is, it's made me stronger as a person and when I've got a wife and kids that I know I can depend on I'll look back and think "I'm proud of myself for doing the right thing"

Whereas you'd probably look back and think "I was a sniffling little mug when I was a teenager and I should've manned up".

You're thinking of this from the wrong position. From the position of the cheater, I wouldn't tell him because presumably I would still want to be with my boyfriend. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean my boyfriend would want to stay with me, but he wouldn't know.
You're telling her to be dishonest, the honest thing to do would just say "I was really drunk and I chose to get off with this guy". Blaming the alcohol, trying to skew him away from anger by crying and being like 'I'll never drink again, I'm so sorry' would be lying.

Original post by Treeroy
You're thinking of this from the wrong position. From the position of the cheater, I wouldn't tell him because presumably I would still want to be with my boyfriend. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean my boyfriend would want to stay with me, but he wouldn't know.

I'm not so selfish as to keep such destructive secrets between my partner and I for personal gain. If I make a mistake like this, how I feel about it is irrelevent.
Reply 90
Original post by StringerBell9
I'm not so selfish as to keep such destructive secrets between my partner and I for personal gain. If I make a mistake like this, how I feel about it is irrelevent.

Then that's where we differ. I care about myself, first and foremost. Everyone else comes later.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy
Then that's where we differ. I care about myself, first and foremost. Everyone else comes later.

I respect you for putting it so bluntly.

We'll have to agree to disagree. (Y)
I bet if he said if its anal its not cheating you would go all in, cuz it doesn't count

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Anonymous
See people like you don't look at the bigger picture:

WHY did your girlfriend cheat on you?

Where you satisfying her sexually, most likely not. It's not rocket science why women jump into bed with another man, obviously something wasn't right between the two of you.

You clearly have zero remorse about what you've done then.

This train of thoughts pisses me off to no end. There is never, ever any justification for cheating on someone. I don't care if you haven't had sex for three years, when you enter into a relationship, you agree to seeing each other exclusively, and you owe them your loyalty. You're not happy with the way things are going, you either stop being a promiscuous tart getting your jollies with other men and then projecting it onto your partner and talk to them about it, or you leave.

Or are you so primitively-minded that your need for sex overpowers any conscious thought?
Hmm.. cheated on your boyfriend and you're trying to convince yourself how it's all ok. :smug:

Nice one.

If you weren't being sexually satisfied or whatever lame-ass excuse you're using to justify your behaviour..you should've ended things with your bf before getting with other men, no? :pierre:
Reply 95
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone makes mistake, we are humans at the end of the day :rolleyes:

The only people who say this are ones who need an excuse to justify their terrible actions.
Reply 96
Original post by supernature
We all make mistakes, we are humans at the end of the day :rolleyes:

...OP?
If it were me I wouldn't bother telling. What good would it do? If it meant nothing then forget and move on.
Reply 98
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
haha we may not know anything about her relationship, but i can damn well bet you don't either. And no, in a healthy relationship, these things do NOT happen. Just because "men and women can be equally as susceptible" (which has no factual/statistical basis other than your "experience") it doesn't make it ok.
You may think of "a sliding scale", but that doesn't mean anyone else in the world does. Your thoughts are irrelevant in any form of argument/debate because they are meaningless. Nobody cares what you think.

And this is in no way a lynch mob response. They just all want her to confess. Maybe you should look at the history behind lynching before you throw that phrase about so carelessly.

Conclusion: you're an arrogant sod with nothing better to do than to barge into conversations with a false and pathetic sense of self-righteousness backed up by nothing more than your "experience" and "thoughts".

** by the way, it's "lynch mob", not "linch mob"

I think this charming contribution illustrates my point well... Some pretty intolerant people around.
Original post by Zarek
I think this charming contribution illustrates my point well... Some pretty intolerant people around.

Well I think that this pointless contribution just wasted more of my time. To cut this short -you went on this page:
1) whilst in full knowledge of the fact that this is a site where people answer questions, even if the answers do not please you
2) knowing that we are all entitled to our opinions, and do not need someone as meaningless as you to judge us for them
3) without even answering the question that the person asked, or offering any kind of helpful advice at all.

And when I call you out on that, you say that I " [ illustrated] your point well " ? seriously ? you think you won ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending