The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Made my offer! Gosh, I'm so relieved and happy. Congratulations to anybody else who made their offer, commiserations to those who haven't - there is still hope, stay strong!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Made my offer too - whoo, Cambridge here I come! Congratulations everyone else :smile:
Reply 3
I feel rather fresh today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
First of all, congratulations to absolutely everyone coming up to Cambridge this year - you're in for a hell of a few years.

I'm a current student here, about to go into my third year of Natural Sciences. If you have any questions about life in Cambridge, please don't hesitate to ask.

When you get here, you're going to be subjected to an absolute barrage of information, and it's pretty hard to know where to begin. Having been here for two years already, the best advice I can give is to chill out - there's lots of stuff to be done, but you should mainly focus (in the beginning at least) on relaxing, making friends and enjoying yourself.

One of the best things I've done in my time at Cambridge has been to get involved in the Cambridge Union Society. For those of you who don't know about it, it's both the oldest and largest student society in Cambridge, as well as one of the world's oldest debating societies. It's mostly famous for its Thursday night debates and its speaker meetings, where you get to listen to, meet and question some of the most interesting (and famous) people in the world - in the last couple of years there've been appearances by Judi Dench, David Moyes, Tim Minchin, Boris Johnson, Richard Dawkins and Stephen Fry, just to name a select few. If you're interested, you should be receiving a copy of the freshers' guide in the post soon - or if you can't wait, you can find a copy here: http://issuu.com/cscreative/docs/uniorecr2013weblq2-2

For now, congrats again - go out and engage in your preferred form of mildly self-destructive and ill-advised behaviour. Looking forward to seeing you all here in October!
Reply 5
Reply 6
I think I might be in shock. And I definitely did not dance around in my pyjamas after checking Track. :dance:
CONGRATS FELLOW CANTABS! Can't wait to start!
Reply 8
Wooo Cambridge Medicine here we come :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Congratulations everyone!! :biggrin:
A Freshers Chat Thread? HOORAY! :woo:
Woo!! Anybody else over the moon but absolutely petrified????
Reply 11
Original post by catface1994

Yes! I missed my offer but got let in anyway, so I'm worried I'll seem really stupid compared to everyone else :redface:
I'm OFFICIALLY allowed on this thread, fished out of the summer pool for Geography! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Reply 13
Original post by catface1994

Original post by Etoile
Yes! I missed my offer but got let in anyway, so I'm worried I'll seem really stupid compared to everyone else :redface:

Everyone worries that. And there will be moments when you feel stupid, because most people who go to Oxbridge are always at the top of their classes and never the people being corrected on basic facts in discussions, but trust me, you'll be on a par with everyone else. Different people have different strengths, and they all come forward - some people are really quick in supervisions, some people write beautiful essays, some have great political arguments, and... uh, I'm really good at the missing vowels round on Only Connect.

(The last series of which is all on YouTube and which you should really watch because it's fantastic and also great preparation for the frustration of supervisions.)

But you'll be fine. There will be moments when you feel dumb, but the "OH MY GOD I DON'T DESERVE THIS I FEEL SO DUMB" feeling does go away pretty quickly, and by the end of the first term, you'll be having to remind yourself that this is basically all you ever wanted. (And basically everybody - I can think of a grand total of one exception - settles in just fine, so don't worry about that either.)
Reply 14
Original post by lp386
Everyone worries that. And there will be moments when you feel stupid, because most people who go to Oxbridge are always at the top of their classes and never the people being corrected on basic facts in discussions, but trust me, you'll be on a par with everyone else. Different people have different strengths, and they all come forward - some people are really quick in supervisions, some people write beautiful essays, some have great political arguments, and... uh, I'm really good at the missing vowels round on Only Connect.

(The last series of which is all on YouTube and which you should really watch because it's fantastic and also great preparation for the frustration of supervisions.)

But you'll be fine. There will be moments when you feel dumb, but the "OH MY GOD I DON'T DESERVE THIS I FEEL SO DUMB" feeling does go away pretty quickly, and by the end of the first term, you'll be having to remind yourself that this is basically all you ever wanted. (And basically everybody - I can think of a grand total of one exception - settles in just fine, so don't worry about that either.)

Aww, that's really reassuring, thanks :hugs:
Reply 15
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek :biggrin:
got the grades for veterinary medicine at pembroke! can't wait to go!
Original post by Etoile

I was just on the threshold of my offer! Which college and what are you studying?:smile:
Original post by timsquirrell
First of all, congratulations to absolutely everyone coming up to Cambridge this year - you're in for a hell of a few years.

I'm a current student here, about to go into my third year of Natural Sciences. If you have any questions about life in Cambridge, please don't hesitate to ask.

When you get here, you're going to be subjected to an absolute barrage of information, and it's pretty hard to know where to begin. Having been here for two years already, the best advice I can give is to chill out - there's lots of stuff to be done, but you should mainly focus (in the beginning at least) on relaxing, making friends and enjoying yourself.

One of the best things I've done in my time at Cambridge has been to get involved in the Cambridge Union Society. For those of you who don't know about it, it's both the oldest and largest student society in Cambridge, as well as one of the world's oldest debating societies. It's mostly famous for its Thursday night debates and its speaker meetings, where you get to listen to, meet and question some of the most interesting (and famous) people in the world - in the last couple of years there've been appearances by Judi Dench, David Moyes, Tim Minchin, Boris Johnson, Richard Dawkins and Stephen Fry, just to name a select few. If you're interested, you should be receiving a copy of the freshers' guide in the post soon - or if you can't wait, you can find a copy here: http://issuu.com/cscreative/docs/uniorecr2013weblq2-2

For now, congrats again - go out and engage in your preferred form of mildly self-destructive and ill-advised behaviour. Looking forward to seeing you all here in October!

Hi, I was just wondering if freshers' guides will be posted to all Cambridge freshers or would I have to order one online or something to receive a hard copy? Thanks!
Something tells me this thread should be more active than it is :redface:

Latest