The Student Room Group

Advice on what to do based on current grades

Hey,

I am slightly confused on what I should be doing next year in terms of re-sits in my A2 year.

My AS results from yesterday were;
Grade - Subject course - (Exam board) - Mark
A - Physics Dynamics (AQA - Pilot exam) 90/100
B - Graphic design & illustration (AQA) 141/200
C - Physics (OCR) 193/300
C - Maths (AQA) 182/300
C - I.C.T (WJEC) 123/200

I was slightly disappointed with these results, as I was predicted higher grades for maths & physics, but I assume that my nerves had gotten the better of me :ashamed2:. As well as that some of these grades are quite close from being borderline :s-smilie:.

Currently, my plan is to drop I.C.T, and Physics Dynamics (as Physics Dynamics to my knowledge is only a year course). The ultimate goal for me would be to go to university, and to study architecture/civil engineering/architectural engineering. Which this is typically AAA grade territory.

So my question is, would it be worthwhile for me to re-sit parts of maths and physics unit, to help boost my AS grades during my A2 year, Or would it be too much of an overload?

I am aware of no more January exams due to the new rules being implemented into the current education system, and that leaves the AS exams being around a month ahead of A2 exams in the summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I wouldn't suggest it, as there are no more January exams. Your A2 exams will be enough of a workload.
Original post by Tonkin
Hey,

I am slightly confused on what I should be doing next year in terms of re-sits in my A2 year.

My AS results from yesterday were;
Grade - Subject course - (Exam board) - Mark
A - Physics Dynamics (AQA - Pilot exam) 90/100
B - Graphic design & illustration (AQA) 141/200
C - Physics (OCR) 193/300
C - Maths (AQA) 182/300
C - I.C.T (WJEC) 123/200

I was slightly disappointed with these results, as I was predicted higher grades for maths & physics, but I assume that my nerves had gotten the better of me :ashamed2:. As well as that some of these grades are quite close from being borderline :s-smilie:.

Currently, my plan is to drop I.C.T, and Physics Dynamics (as Physics Dynamics to my knowledge is only a year course). The ultimate goal for me would be to go to university, and to study architecture/civil engineering/architectural engineering. Which this is typically AAA grade territory.

So my question is, would it be worthwhile for me to re-sit parts of maths and physics unit, to help boost my AS grades during my A2 year, Or would it be too much of an overload?

I am aware of no more January exams due to the new rules being implemented into the current education system, and that leaves the AS exams being around a month ahead of A2 exams in the summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Hi Tonkin,

Galin is absolutely right - you will have a lot to contend with sitting three sets of A2 papers next June. If you work out the UMS scores that you need for each subject in order to get AAA then you might find that you would have to retake some AS modules.

The provisional timetables are now available for the June 2014 exam session from the exam board websites, so you could try putting a calendar together to see how May and June would look with a couple of retakes.

There is a typical trap, however, when retaking exams that either you focus too much on your AS papers and the A2 suffers, or you focus on the A2 and forget to work on the AS. It will take some study discipline on your part if you decide to retake some papers!

Another option would be to plan longer-term and work on improving your grades during a gap year. Remember one year of your life now is worth it if it means you end up in the 'right' career for you!

Good luck with what you decide,

Naveed.

Quick Reply

Latest