The Student Room Group

Please please help with clearing!!!

So I am waiting to be put in clearing by my firm choice because they gave me an international student fee status that I cannot afford.
Leicester intially wanted BBB in clearing for Law and now they have changed it to ABB but all I have is CCC I would really love to go there to study Law and Politics. Should I bother calling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vanessap
So I am waiting to be put in clearing by my firm choice because they gave me an international student fee status that I cannot afford.
Leicester intially wanted BBB in clearing for Law and now they have changed it to ABB but all I have is CCC I would really love to go there to study Law and Politics. Should I bother calling?

If you don't ask you don't get!

Have personal statement with you and convince awayyy :smile:
Reply 2
okay so i want to do medicine but my as grades were terrible so i dont see the point of applying in october..... but can i still try for the clearing?!?
Reply 3
I would imagine the reason why the entry requirements have moved up would be because they have ran out of their funded places and only have room left for the additional funded places for students with ABB. Since you don't have this I think your chances will be slim.

But as above, give it a go, you never know.
Reply 4
Original post by MissBetBet
If you don't ask you don't get!

Have personal statement with you and convince awayyy :smile:

I am a bit embarrassed because I am way off . Although i got my results break down and saw the grade boundaries I really didn't do that bad.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr boombang
okay so i want to do medicine but my as grades were terrible so i dont see the point of applying in october..... but can i still try for the clearing?!?

Medicine doesn't go in to clearing unfortunately. You may as well apply and persuade your teachers to predict you 3As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by punani
I would imagine the reason why the entry requirements have moved up would be because they have ran out of their funded places and only have room left for the additional funded places for students with ABB. Since you don't have this I think your chances will be slim.

But as above, give it a go, you never know.

I dont know what you mean by funded places?
Reply 7
Original post by bad8oy
Medicine doesn't go in to clearing unfortunately. You may as well apply and persuade your teachers to predict you 3As.

Posted from TSR Mobile

even with predicted 3As u wont get in unless ur previous results are good. I applied for dentistry with predicted 3As but my AS results were 3Bs, I didn't get a single offer.
Reply 9

oh. my friend told me she called and they told her BBB or higher
:frown: but I still want to try
Original post by studentgcse
even with predicted 3As u wont get in unless ur previous results are good. I applied for dentistry with predicted 3As but my AS results were 3Bs, I didn't get a single offer.

i was thinking of another option..... can i retake some of the modules by the end of my a levels and improve the grades and then apply for medicine with a gap year?!
Reply 11
oh. my friend told me she called and they told her BBB or higher
:frown: but I still want to try

Go for it. What may happen is that as some students trade up during clearing to more "prestigious" universities or whatever, it may leave the door open at the university they have left, so it's always worth a try.

The worse that can happen is they say no and then you move on to the next one. No need to feel embarrassed about it.
Reply 12
I dont know what you mean by funded places?

He could i know some one got medicine offers with not so good AS and predicted 3AAAs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
i was thinking of another option..... can i retake some of the modules by the end of my a levels and improve the grades and then apply for medicine with a gap year?!

Yeah that's what in doing now. My predicted grades weren't too good but I got 3As. So I'm taking gap year an reapplying :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Yeah that's what in doing now. My predicted grades weren't too good but I got 3As. So I'm taking gap year an reapplying :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh cool... did you apply after your as?!... coz i dont think i will i got no chamce

Yes and there may still be places on biomedical science or other courses. If your grades are terrible you may not be able to get a place next year, resit applicants are only considered by a few medical schools and then it may only be if they got AAB and get an A* on the B resit. So you may have a gap year and still end up looking for Biomed in clearing.

There's no harm trying, you'll never know if you don't call them. Do your research about the course and why you want to study that particular course at that particular uni. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
oh cool... did you apply after your as?!... coz i dont think i will i got no chamce

Lol yeah I applied after AS but A*AB prediction. If you get AAA predictions you have a better chance....it's worth asking your teachers for it and applying just for the experience so you know what's to come when you reapply. Also you never know you may get an offer!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Lol yeah I applied after AS but A*AB prediction. If you get AAA predictions you have a better chance....it's worth asking your teachers for it and applying just for the experience so you know what's to come when you reapply. Also you never know you may get an offer!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you retake any modules and if you did like what unis did you apply for because i've heard not all unis accept retakes and still look at the real as grades?!?
Reply 19
did you retake any modules and if you did like what unis did you apply for because i've heard not all unis accept retakes and still look at the real as grades?!?

It's fine....yes I did retake. As long as you have 3A prediction good ukcat good personal statement you can get an offer.
It doesn't matter if you retake as long as you get 3As at the end of the 2 years you studied A levels.
You can just avoid those unis.....stay away from places like Sheffield and Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending