The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Got DistinctionCDD in AS level (Sport Studies, ICT, Welsh, Chemistry) (Dropped Chemistry after AS)
Yesterday I got D*BB and got into University of South Wales to study Early Years Development and Education.
I had an E in my welsh exam at AS, resat it in January and came out with another E which was really disheartening as I thought I had worked hard! Felt like I had a mountain to climb at A2 if i wanted to get a decent grade as I had 2 exams instead of coursework and exams were definitely my weakness! So I worked ridiculously hard at A2, revised for months, did every after school/holiday revision session I could and even though I thought the exams didn't go very well I achieved a B and C with an A in my speaking module!:smile:
Resat my ICT exam and came out with a higher C and also worked my arse off this year and came out with an A in my coursework and B in the exam.
So AS students who haven't done very well, you can still do it!! I got 2 grades higher in my subjects compared to last year just with hard work and dedication! I thought I could get through AS with the same amount of hard work as GCSE- was never going to happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
I got BDDEU at AS :/ very very bad lol in Geography, Biology, History, French and Critical Thinking. Resat all the modules again for French, Bio and Geog in January and came out with CBB, and finished my A2's getting BBC, and I got into my firm uni where my offer was ABB :smile:. It is possible but you do sacrifice your A2 grades a bit while studying for your AS's as now there are no January Re-sits
- Pay attention in class, don't be afraid to ask questions or get things wrong - your teacher is there to help. Also connected to this, be attentive and don't talk to your friends etc. Of course DONT SKIP LESSONS, you're the only one that loses out.
- Do you're homework properly (sit down in the library or at home - not on the bus of 5 minutes before), it really does help store knowledge and reinforce areas you are weak at.
- Revise properly and in time - start at least 4 weeks before you're exams and cover everything needed.
- DO PAST PAPERS! Understanding the mark schemes are one of the biggest factors in anybodies results.

That is pretty much exactly what I changed, and I managed to improve from BBC to AAB. To achieve good grades, you needn't go over and above the required level, you simply have to do what is required of you! I know so many people who did badly, these were the people that didn't go to lessons or do homework, and the people that went out every Thursday and Saturday and got drunk and thought they were the cool kids.

Who will be the cool kids in 20 years time, I say!
Reply 43
I got CCDEE at AS. I got AABC at A Level with a couple of retakes. TBH, I really didn't find it that much work- I always had worked hard and don't have any explanations as to why I did so poorly at AS Level.

All I'd ever wanted to do at university was history since I was about 7. I got a D at AS. Re-sat, got an A without revising (I'd worked realy hard for the exam the first time around, got a D so didn't see the point in trying tbh).

I went to Leicester University on an offer for AAB for history and ended up getting a 2.1.

That D in the one subject that I'd loved since I was a little girl at the time seemed the conclusive proof that I was actually rubbish at everything and could never study the one subject I'd always adored at university. It wasn't at all- I'm currently sat in the library of Nottingham University writing my MA History dissertation with plans to go onto do a phD in a couple of years.

Bad AS Levels mean very little in the long run. Nobody has once asked me about mine since leaving school, they didn't stop me from getting into a great university and taking my subject to the very highest level. That D at AS Level which felt like the end of the world at the time is so very far behind me 5 years on.
Just thought I'd say thanks to all the people putting up their stories on this, it's certainly made me feel more confident over the future.

Got my AS level's yesterday and got AABC, which I was quite disappointing as I wanted AAAC.

But seems like all is not lost, and you can still get into the top uni's if you put the effort in.

Just a question to people who did do badly then got better grades, how did you persuade your teachers to give you high predicted grades?

EDIT: One year on and I've managed to get A*A*A* a after dropping physics and taking up further maths AS :P Going to be studying Economics at LSE in 3 weeks!!! If you put the effort it anyone can get great grades
(edited 9 years ago)
BCEU for AS results, which I account for laziness and not attending classes.

In the summer exams for A2, I pretty much resat everything (all but three exams, one being coursework) on top of the June '12 exams and got AAC. My dad died slap bang in the middle of my summer exams, right after i'd finished resitting my AS exams.

I resat a couple of papers in January whilst working (on average) 50 hour weeks, pushing my grades up to AAB.

So yes, it's entirely do-able! Saying you're too busy/tired is no excuse!
Reply 46
Original post by im so academic
So in a way, people who get poor grades get them due to their lack of work?

Not true at all in my personal experience. I've always been good at school work etc and have always worked hard. History has been the one thing I've loved since I was very little (I had an very enthusiastic grandmother who involved me in her historical research from a young age. Aged 7 I was helping her in the archives)

I got a D at AS history having revised well and worked hard in and out of lessons. I was devastated and saw it as proof that I wasn't any good at all at the one thing I'd always loved. When it came to my re-take I didn't see any point in even really trying- I'd worked hard before and got a D after all. All I did in terms of revising for my retake was photocopy a section of a revision guide, read it through once or twice just before my exam. That, I promise you was it. I came out with an A. No idea why...
During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.
Original post by leinad2012
Just a question to people who did do badly then got better grades, how did you persuade your teachers to give you high predicted grades?

I made sure to attend classes and display knowledge in class, completing homework and essays to a high-standard. I also requested extra essays to complete outside of class. I managed to get great grades in these, enough to ensure that the teacher knew I was capable of getting decent grades.
My AS results were pretty good (ABBD) - except the low D in psychology.

I resat both AS modules - going from a D in G541 to an A and a D in G542 to a B - giving me a very high B (3 marks off an A) overall.

G543 - the first A2 module - was the hardest exam I have ever sat. I was honestly expecting an E at best. Yet I revised my socks off for it - my room was covered in paper telling me which heading what study came under. Somehow, I managed to get a B (73/100) in this exam. Though the stress of it caused me to have a nervous breakdown the day after (it was also the day of my interview for my first choice of university).

For the final exam (G544) I needed 50/100 to get a B overall for A Level. It was synoptic, and I was very focused on my goal - I only needed 50% but, to me, this was the 50% I would struggle most with. I just went into the exam and did it - knowing that this would probably decide my fate most.

Yesterday, I get my results. By some miracle, I got 52/100. A B by 2 marks overall.

It took a lot of hard work, and I probably could have got an A if I'd resat G542 again but, if you'd told me this time last year I would get a B in psych I would have laughed in your face. It can be done, you can turn your grades around to what you need, but it takes a lot of work and dedication.

Anyway, I managed to get into my first choice after all - so that's a pretty big success story if you ask me :wink:
Reply 50
I got abbd in my AS (bio,chem,hist,phys)
Dropped phys for A2 but resat the last exam
I got A*ABc
:smile:
Worked so so hard DX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by teen1234
ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

Which unis did you apply for? And what uni did you end up in? And what did your teachers give as your predicted A2 grades after those AS results?
Reply 52
BCCD. Ended up with A*BB (not that amazing an improvement) though I admit I didn't spend an equal amount of time on each subject. Those AS results were definitely a wake-up call for me.

Edit: Forgot to include how I improved. For Literature, I read ahead and read for fun, made every minute of the lesson count and engaged in discourse more often. By the time it came to the exam I didn't have to do much revision.
For Chemistry, I started going to tutorials to go over the work I didn't get in class. I did all the homework on time and practised until my head hurt.
For Art, I just carried on the way I did before.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello. I got my AS results yesterday and I got BCCC (chem, bio, phy, maths). I am dropping physics. But is there any possibility of getting BCC to AAA at A2. I really want to do medicine and I know I can do it if I resit a few modules :smile: thanks ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Dursty
Got pretty good gcse's and really didn't try hard enough/care enough for my first year. My AS Results really hit me hard and I told myself I'd change. Pretty much dedicated the next 2 years to doing the best I can, went from a U in maths to a 96% average overall, and got into LSE for straight econ (didn't apply to oxbridge, sorta regret it).
So yeah it was ALOT of hard work, but in the end totally worth it.

So did you do a third year?
Reply 55
Original post by T_x
I wouldn't say these AS results were exactly 'bad,' but I got AAAB in AS (low As) and A*A*A*A at A2.

What subject did you take? Also, did you retake any modules?
AS results I got B (RS), C (English Literature), D (History).

Took the exam again for History, one module changed from an E to a B, but the other module stayed at a D so overall History mark changed to a C.

A2 results I got B (almost an A!) and two C's, although due to my AS history result it brought down my A to a C unfortunately.

However I got accepted into my first choice university to do History. Even when I was applying to all the different universities they accepted me, I never got a decline.

Just finished my first year at University and my results are 2:1 with a 1st in some of my individual modules.

There were a lot of tears shed between 2011 and 2012 but I am so happy with where I am now. So don't give up!!

By the way I wasn't lazy in school, far from it, I went to every lesson, contributed to discussions, handed work on time and talked to my teachers constantly on how to improve. The reason my AS history mark was so bad was because our teacher was teaching us the wrong course (he somehow got the modules mixed up).
(edited 10 years ago)
I achieved ABDU at AS, I dropped my U in economics and was left with ABD. I eventually got predicted grades of ABC although I needed at least ABB for uni. I applied to ABB-BBC universities. Eventually I firmed Nottingham who lowered my entry requirements to ABC. Regardless, I managed to achieve ABB, and raised my D in AS history to a B at A2 :biggrin: I just took 2 re-takes in history and gave it my all in the last few months.
Reply 58
Original post by Dursty
Retook a year to go from CCEU to A*AAab at LSE

Can I read your personal statement please? I would really appreciate it!
Reply 59
Original post by Mux123
Can I read your personal statement please? I would really appreciate it!

I did retake a year yes, although I did have some extenuating circumstances. I'm happy to show you my PS but i'm unsure if there could still be plagiarism issues, can anyone answer that?

Quick Reply

Latest