The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Hi
I got CCCC yesturday and i'm very dissapointed i worked hard enough and was expecting atleast ABBC
should i retake the year
or should i carry on and aim for BBB at A2 and try and do a foundation year for civil engineering at a competitive university
plss help
Reply 281
Original post by Ashahedow
WARNING; IRREVELANT POST.

Why do TSR users insist on using a possessive 's' for grades? Multiple grades are a plural, not a possessive. Primary school children know that.

God bless you, sir. I am sick of seeing this. The thing that gets me is a girl in my English class got an A in English and tweeted: A's in English and Psychology, and B's in Law and Sociology #winning #uniiscloserbrav

I got a D in English, yet I know this. FML.
Original post by G i l l
God bless you, sir. I am sick of seeing this. The thing that gets me is a girl in my English class got an A in English and tweeted: A's in English and Psychology, and B's in Law and Sociology #winning #uniiscloserbrav

I got a D in English, yet I know this. FML.

It's ma'am to you. There are people asking whether they'll be good enough for Oxbridge yet their posts are riddled with grammatical errors. :angry:

I despair for our generation.
Reply 283
Original post by Ashahedow
It's ma'am to you. There are people asking whether they'll be good enough for Oxbridge yet their posts are riddled with grammatical errors. :angry:

I despair for our generation.

Haha! Sorry, ma'am - didn't acknowledge your picture.

I definitely despair too... or as many kids would say: I definately despair two.
Original post by MeganRok
YES!! Predicted A in both, and got C and D... getting both remarked. I'm not even joking when i say Economics is my strongest subject, i got near full marks in all the past papers and i found the exams a breeze. very suspicious.

i think im going to get mine remarked now, just scared of the slight possibility of it going down

let me kno how you get on
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx
the only people I know yo get offers from oxford or cambridge got all A's in their AS.sometimes, oxbridge isnt for everyone, but there are plenty of other good unis out there!

ADVICE: retake is much better than remark! a remark may have 1 or 2 UMS gain (or loss!) and the overall grade at AS doesnt matter! retake to get lots more UMS, because its the total UMS that makes your overall a level grade at the end of year 13.
so your choice: extra 2UMS marks, or extra 30?

also, A* is only possible if you have an A at AS and 90% at A2. noone can get an A* overall if they have a B at AS, even if they get 100% at A2!

But I'm sure they don't only look at As grades - they must consider other things like your personal statement etc.

Like you said, it's all about UMS. Here's what I found ...

You have achieved 150/200 (75%) UMS at AS-Level and have a B. You then score 180/200 (90%) UMS in your A2 modules giving you a score of 330/400 (82.5%) UMS in total. As you've satisfied both conditions, you will receive an A*.

24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

:frown:

you're exactly like me - can't see where i put a foot wrong ito effort and the exam itself. i was stunned and i'm still stunned.
I got an A in Maths, B in Physics, D in Geography and U in Chemistry which was kind of expected.
Original post by carpe diem 123
The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!

i got 98/150 - absolutely shocked,even worse i got 116/120 - two marks off a A in biology in an exam where 69/100 got you an A.Considering remarking both straight off because i'm *** off.Can understand chemistry grade boundaries were 82 for an A (ridiculous) but surely my efforts don't deserve a C and a b in both exams,more like a B and an A!
Reply 289
YES!! Predicted A in both, and got C and D... getting both remarked. I'm not even joking when i say Economics is my strongest subject, i got near full marks in all the past papers and i found the exams a breeze. very suspicious.

I'm in nearly the exact same situation! Predicted an A in both papers by both of my economics teachers, came out with a C in both. The exams felt so easy compared to some of the past papers I'd done and achieved As and Bs in..
Reply 290
I agree, I got BCCC, very disapointed really, the course i want is 3 b's but I will just have to resit a couple modules and try hard next summer
Reply 291
Original post by carpe diem 123
Exactly the same here! The exam went perfectly; there were no areas I felt I lost any significant marks at all. Yet I get my results back and it works out I got 83/100. Where did I lose 17 marks?! I have a feeling they have made the mark schemes really narrow; putting in rediculously pedantic things so as to catch out people in order to overalls reduce everyone's score.

Script back and a remark is in order here.

Tell me about it. I've never been so confident with an exam before, and I never predict how many marks I've got in an exam. There's a possibility that the mark scheme was very precise and they could have rejected words/statements that some of our teachers have been telling us all year.

I'm considering getting a script back, at least then I can see for myself where I've gone wrong.
Original post by ThatScienceGuy
All i can say about F322 and F212 for OCR is wow... just wow
Never been so gutted after being so confident after the exam.

ditto! getting both these papers back - shocking.
Reply 293
Original post by Atemukay
people that didn't deserve high grades got them for example, someone got A in an exam which they revised last minute for, and someone who worked there ****ing ass off for weeks got a D

I don't think that's true at all, the people who say they've revised last minute have actually put in a lot of effort through out the year and also worked hard and hence why they have scored an A. Also, at the end of the day, you could spend years on a concept and never truly understand it, time doesn't always equate to good marks, it increases the chance of you getting the top grades. My advice to you is, to revisit your revision plans, if you cannot understand a topic, NEVER skip it and say you're gunna come back to it later.
Did anyone do AQA AS product design unit 1 (3-d)? My whole year group massively under performed. Even A grade students got U's. I got an E when I was predicted a B. Ended up with a D overall despite my coursework being a high B. I've heard similar stories from another sixth form as well.
Reply 295
Not me but my friend who achieved AABD on his AS grades.

He achieved the D on religious studies, in which he achieved an A or a B on the first exam and a U(?) on the second exam.
Very surprising and has disrupted his plans on continuing it onto A2 as he wished too! Apparantly quite a few of the group got poor marks on that paper.
Original post by millwalljack
Did anyone do AQA AS product design unit 1 (3-d)? My whole year group massively under performed. Even A grade students got U's. I got an E when I was predicted a B. Ended up with a D overall despite my coursework being a high B. I've heard similar stories from another sixth form as well.

I think a friend of mine did AQA AS product design. She got the highest mark for the exam out of the whole class/ year group (there's only one class for it in our year), and her grade was a D, if remember correctly. She's the type of person who gets straight A grades, haha.
Reply 297
I'm also really pissed off with Edexcel. I do fine art under it and I spent whatever time on completing my sketchbook, spending countless hours throughout the night, and even sacrificed my textiles coursework (due for the same day) grade (got a D in the coursework) - and for what? A freaking C -_- I really felt like crying, and other people in my class who cannot draw for their life got As? I thought you needed talent to succeed in your favourite subjects. I feel so discouraged that I might not even get a B next year :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 298
Original post by Atemukay
I know its true! Because the person who got the C grade actually helped the person who got the A, and trust me when i did help that person they truly had no idea and that was 3-4 days before the exam. I'm just destined for bad luck

Well, now you have your results, you can't change anything. As harsh as that may sound. Anyways, focus on the future, you can still pull it back up. I'm not sure what you study, but particularly in the science/maths subjects I studied, the knowledge just carries on from previous units. I know you probably revised hard but try looking at your revision techniques again. My honest suggestion is, be ahead of your class, constantly do past paper questions on the topics you have learnt in your class. Also another thing is, do the mock tests you do in your class honestly, I know many people who cheat just to get a good grade in mocks, there's seriously no point in doing that. Use what your getting in mocks as an indication and finally, DON'T leave it too late. For Summer exams, I suggest you work through out the year but heavily start revision in January, perhaps even earlier. Also, follow what ever they say in specification, whatever they have listed will come up. Read the examiner reports and look for common mistakes, focus on these mistakes. That's my advice, whether you wanna take it on board is up to you. Good luck!
all my subjects grade boundaries were made so strict :'( i feel like a failure! and lost my desired grades by a few marks :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest