The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tsjmcgrath
I'm considering it but I don't really know much about it. Is it sort of like a thesis but A-Level standard instead of a degree?

It's a 5000 word essay and you can base it on whatever you like.
Reply 3961
Original post by Red Fox
You doing it alongside 4 subjects? I wanna do a Physics related one.

I am, as part of enrichment.
Oooo nice, any title ideas?
Original post by elixirs
I am, as part of enrichment.
Oooo nice, any title ideas?

No not yet but Physics has hundreds of topics that interest me. What are you looking to do yours on? Our school has loads of options for enrichment but I'm doing Further Maths which is at the same time. I was looking forward to doing a language course:frown:.
Original post by Red Fox
It's a 5000 word essay and you can base it on whatever you like.

Oh, okay. That doesn't sound too bad. I may have a crack at it considering it's one of the "enrichment" options my school tries ever so hard to promote.
Reply 3964
Original post by Red Fox
No not yet but Physics has hundreds of topics that interest me. What are you looking to do yours on? Our school has loads of options for enrichment but I'm doing Further Maths which is at the same time. I was looking forward to doing a language course:frown:.

Ooo, I'm sure you'll think of one. I'm looking around media/government scandals and those sorts. Ooooh I see why can't you do language alongside Further maths? My school gives us 2 enrichment options, I'm doing work experience and EPQ. Oh and this scholarship course thing in science:tongue:
Original post by elixirs
Ooo, I'm sure you'll think of one. I'm looking around media/government scandals and those sorts. Ooooh I see why can't you do language alongside Further maths? My school gives us 2 enrichment options, I'm doing work experience and EPQ. Oh and this scholarship course thing in science:tongue:

Basically there are 4 option blocks for subjects and enrichment takes place 'off-timetable', when there are no lessons. Because there is such a low intake for Further Maths (6 I think for my year) they do it off timetable so it doesn't clash with anyone's options.
Reply 3966
Original post by Red Fox
Basically there are 4 option blocks for subjects and enrichment takes place 'off-timetable', when there are no lessons. Because there is such a low intake for Further Maths (6 I think for my year) they do it off timetable so it doesn't clash with anyone's options.

Ohhhh, it's a shame. However, further maths is a rewarding option.
Original post by elixirs
Ohhhh, it's a shame. However, further maths is a rewarding option.

I think it's my best shot at an A* so I'm gonna study loads for it.
Reply 3968
Original post by Red Fox
I think it's my best shot at an A* so I'm gonna study loads for it.

Good luck:biggrin:
Original post by elixirs
Good luck:biggrin:

Thanks, what options have you picked?
Reply 3970
Original post by Red Fox
Thanks, what options have you picked?

English Lit, History, French, Biology

(+ EPQ, YASS in science ):tongue:

What about you?
Reply 3971
Original post by Red Fox

Have you started any bridging work for further maths?:smile: I wanted to take it as an option but don't think il be able to handle the difficulty of the course:redface:
Reply 3972
Original post by Red Fox
Anyone here planning on doing the EPQ?

It's compulsary at my 6th form, unfortunately, as well as enrichment. They used to let you do the GCSE equivalent one which most people knocked off the night before it was due in, but I suppose it's not a bad idea.
Original post by Dalek1099
I wouldn't advise Medicine because most universities want Biology.I wouldn't advise Maths/Physics because both really want Further Maths and definetley not Engineering because you are going to need Further Maths.Chemistry is a great idea because you only need Chemistry and Maths for that and thats a great set of A-Levels for Natural Sciences.

I didn't want to do medicine, I was actually looking into engineering but I wanted to see what else was available... My brother is doing mechanical engineering and he didn't take further maths... I don't think it's compulsory for any engineering..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3974
What is 'enrichment'? Or is it different depending on the school?

I noticed along side out frees and lessons we also have 2 periods of enrichment every 2 weeks and 2 periods of General Studies or 'Statutory' Games, or something like that....
Original post by Arunthathy
Not really! Pakistanis and Bangladeshis do not do that well but Indians and Chinese are one of the cleverest!Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel real stupid now! Though I honestly think I am an exception to that rule. I also find it annoying hoe when people say Asian they mean Chinese, when there are loads of other different 'Asians' like you said.
Reply 3976
Has anyone seen this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2432941
What are your views?
Original post by zed963
What are your views?

Oh yeah I looked at this yesterday and I was shocked how 7 A* didn't even get him into Oxford, but its not that bad because he has a place at one of the best American unis.
Reply 3978
Original post by zed963
What are your views?

Maybe his personal statement was really awful? :s-smilie:
Original post by elixirs
English Lit, History, French, Biology

(+ EPQ, YASS in science ):tongue:

What about you?

I wish I was a humanities person:frown:. I've just picked my strengths in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Latest