The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2013 Summer Pool Thread

Scroll to see replies

Got fished out for Geography at Trinity Hall...the exact college I applied for! Over the moon, best of luck to everyone else :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by petruconst
Hello everybody!
I am a little concerned. I obtained 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3, as my condition required, but still Magdalene College haven't contacted me yet. I narrowly missed my condition for the language exam(IELTS) and Romanian Baccalaureate. Does anyone have an idea what is happening? Many thanks

This is a very unusual dilemma - unfortunately, many universities have a minimum language requirement to ensure you can cope with the course. Email or phone Magdalene to find out what's going on immediately.

If you missed on Romanian Baccalaureate too, technically you've missed the academic portion of your offer and therefore they have the right to pool you (although you should know if that is the case with you).
Peterhouse just called me with an offer for maths! i'm over the moon
Original post by St. Brynjar
Got fished out for Geography at Trinity Hall...the exact college I applied for! Over the moon, best of luck to everyone else :smile:

congratulations! :biggrin:
It appears that the game has begun.
Reply 84
If you're winter pooled and then summer pooled can you pretty much count yourself out of being picked again? Having missed the offer by 2 UMS I think that I wont get in :frown:
Original post by EllieHolderness
Peterhouse just called me with an offer for maths! i'm over the moon

Congratulations to you too!
Original post by EllieHolderness
Those are probably better than my grades, since I was very close to the 2/3 boundary on STEP III anyway. How did your A-levels turn out?

I didn't take STEP I since my insurance is maths/physics at Warwick rather than straight maths, and they don't require it (and I'm lazy).

To be honest I'm not holding out much hope for an offer from the pool, especially with such strong candidates in it. Trinity did have an especially good applicant pool this year (I know some of them, and they really are insanely clever) so applicants that might have made it through on another year have ended up in the pool this time.

My A-levels are good, 4 A*s. I'm not holding out much hope either, the Pembroke lot have some crazy strong applicants this year as well. It's frustrating, to get about as close as possible without getting in. It's like what they say about 4th being the worst place to finish.

EDIT: Scratch that, congratulations :biggrin:
Original post by grammar12
If you're winter pooled and then summer pooled can you pretty much count yourself out of being picked again? Having missed the offer by 2 UMS I think that I wont get in :frown:

Haha, same situation
Reply 88
Original post by Powerfrau
On no, that must be particularly terrible! I always knew mine would be a close one with German, and maybe Latin... Yes, you should still be proud, definitely! I was a bit nervous before, but my interviewers were so lovely that I relaxed straight away :smile: Ah, nice- I had a small test, but it was fine. I did a summer school too, they're fantastic, aren't they?! We've always got York there for us :smile:

yeah, plus my boyfriend has gotten in with A*A*A*A to make it worse :') wow you did A level Latin?! So jealous, I did GCSE this year but don't have the option to do A level, I love it though! Ahh that's good, yeah the summer school was so much fun. That's true, it really isn't a bad uni, you got a college in mind to apply to there? I can't remember the campus that well haha
Reply 89
Original post by nickyr212
Haha, same situation

Where are you going if Cambridge dont call?
Where are you going if Cambridge dont call?

Gap year. I didn't get in my insurance.
Original post by hogwartian1993
UPDATE: SHE DID IT! So proud of her! Back to the original college as well. :biggrin:

Tell her congrats from me :smile:

Original post by Llewellyn
Yes University college here also. I may have run into you on the visit day :holmes:

Awkward... :tongue:
Reply 92
Original post by nickyr212
Gap year. I didn't get in my insurance.

I dont know whether to go with my insurance or retake a subject and reapply :s-smilie:
Reply 93
Original post by St. Brynjar

Well done. Fingers crossed for everyone else...........:smile:
I dont know whether to go with my insurance or retake a subject and reapply :s-smilie:

Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. No experience on my part.
Reply 95
I still haven't been rejected... I just want something to happen
Original post by T.Aria
I still haven't been rejected... I just want something to happen

I know how you feel!
Reply 97
At what time should those of us waiting for a call give up? :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by shamika
If that is true and then people like Llewellyn don't ultimately get in I'm going to be very, very, very angry :angry:

It's quite a reputable college too, although I won't mention which one.

It kind of flies in the face of the whole "the college you apply to doesn't matter since the pool will sort it out" mantra. The person must have clearly impressed the college in other ways to get in, but so many other great people are in the pool too...
Reply 99
Original post by Melle123
yeah, plus my boyfriend has gotten in with A*A*A*A to make it worse :') wow you did A level Latin?! So jealous, I did GCSE this year but don't have the option to do A level, I love it though! Ahh that's good, yeah the summer school was so much fun. That's true, it really isn't a bad uni, you got a college in mind to apply to there? I can't remember the campus that well haha

Oh, wow! So you have another reason to hope to get in- to be at the same uni as him? Yes, plus I didn't have a teacher, just a tutor I didn't see all that much, so that was hard! I really enjoyed GCSE Latin. I can't believe the summer school was a whole year away. It's great for Linguistics, and great anyways, yay! I can't remember it either, nor the colleges :tongue:

Quick Reply