The Student Room Group

7 A*s at A-Level BUT rejected by Oxford

I'm not sure if this story has already been posted (if it has, delete my post) and I know that 'Daily Mail' is not a reliable source. But I'd like to hear your views on why Alastair Herron was given a standard rejection by Oxford.

Was it because simply there were more suitable candidates than him for the course?-which is understandable
Or because of something else?

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395440/A-Level-results-Student-7-A-s-heads-Stanford-REJECTED-Oxford-University.html?ICO=most_read_module

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm being negged for simply wanting to discuss an article
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maybe he came across as a nob at the interview.
Reply 2
Original post by JindleBrey

I agree. Maybe personality wise he just wasn't appealing to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe he bombed at the interview or his PS sucked. High grades don't automatically equal an Oxbridge place.
Reply 4
it needs to be appreciated that there is more to a successful university application than a string of a* grades
You need to have loads of stuff going on the side, right?
Grades aren't everything... it's about personality, passion and a willingness to learn. Oxford explicitly say 3 A levels are enough.
Original post by Blondenotbimbo
You need to have loads of stuff going on the side, right?

Unless you're a medic, no.
Obviously just getting good grades aren't enough. (edit: also, was he rejected BEFORE he achieved those grades? that was posted after results day after all)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
He went Harvard, at least he can say he showed them
With hindsight it might seem ridiculous, but he didn't have 7a*s when he applied so its more difficult for them to judge than it might, on the face of it, seem.

This.
Well, he didn't have 7A* when he got rejected.

He will presumably have had 7 A grades at AS Level, which is obviously very impressive. However, Oxford do not ask for UMS marks, so despite presumably getting over 90s, if he went on to do so at A2, he could on paper, just have looked equal to someone scraping 80% in each of their subjects. Unfortunate, but that's what happens if UMS marks aren't requested.

Also, other candidates presumably performed better at the interview.

Still, it's obviously disappointing for someone so obviously intelligent to be rejected. And I think it is incredibly unfair for people on here to presume he came across like an "arrogant nob" at the interview.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
He didn't have 7 A*s at the interview. It's possible that they saw someone who was attempting 7 A Levels and came across like an arrogant knob, so they didn't like him and didn't expect him to get A/A*s in all seven...

Totally unsubstantiated claim. I could just as easily and with as much authority say they didn't like his accent at interview.
Reply 15
he looks like a retard anyway
It always happens, they give offers before results after all so of course some people who are rejected will go on to do amazingly well.
Reply 17
Seems like he was rejected before interview? The Daily Mail is far from specific.
There are stories like this every year. Ultimately there is more to an Oxbridge application than grades, and this one seems to be other people (unlike a certain story like this in the past where the outrage came from the applicant herself) whipping up a storm over it to make a point about Oxford or their own agenda, since he himself doesn't seem like he minds that much (and nor should he, since he has a place and a bursary at Stanford). There are lots of very good candidates every year who get rejected, and speculating on this one particular case (as well as casting aspersions on his personality or other possible personal or academic failings) is pretty pointless and very mean spirited.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MedicineMann
Totally unsubstantiated claim. I could just as easily and with as much authority say they didn't like his accent at interview.

What claim?

Quick Reply

Latest