The Student Room Group

7 A*s at A-Level BUT rejected by Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aqib7
he looks like a retard anyway

There probably is something slightly wrong with him, to achieve 7 A* grades.
There's always stories like this about results day. I know people with straight A*s (albeit not 7..) who got rejected from Oxford / Cambridge. They're no doubt 'clever' enough, but their interviews didn't go particularly well. Some of them were told that they didn't answer quick enough, and another was told that they didn't think he'd suit the style of doing things. That's the most likely reason for rejection - Oxford and Cambridge need outstanding grades, but pretty much everyone who applies there has outstanding grades and so the interview becomes a factor too.

Can definitely see him doing a Walter White in the future though..
(edited 10 years ago)
Oxford have entrance tests like the PAT and MAT. I bet that he performed badly on those tests, hence why he didn't even get an interview. Good grades don't matter if you mess up the entrance exam. The Daily Mail are again trying to find outrage where there really isn't any, all so that their readers can shake their fists in frustration at how the UK is going downhill.

He's going to Stanford ffs, I doubt he's missing out.
Original post by applicant20
With hindsight it might seem ridiculous, but he didn't have 7a*s when he applied so its more difficult for them to judge than it might, on the face of it, seem.

True, it makes a lot more sense with this. It's possible he didn't have seven As at AS.

Also he's doing maths / chemistry, and I don't know about Chemistry, but with Maths they care far more about STEP / AEA / entrance test than they do about A-levels. It's possible he didn't have the extras other students had.

Nonetheless, he's clearly very bright, and congratulations to him for his scholarship. :smile:
Original post by MedicineMann
Totally unsubstantiated claim. I could just as easily and with as much authority say they didn't like his accent at interview.

They did say "maybe", meaning they aren't claiming anything per se. :wink::getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, what incredibly awkward portrait photographs.
Reply 26
Original post by EvasiveRose
I'm not sure if this story has already been posted (if it has, delete my post) and I know that 'Daily Mail' is not a reliable source. But I'd like to hear your views on why Alastair Herron was given a standard rejection by Oxford.

Was it because simply there were more suitable candidates than him for the course?-which is understandable
Or because of something else?

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395440/A-Level-results-Student-7-A-s-heads-Stanford-REJECTED-Oxford-University.html?ICO=most_read_module

maybe oxford has something against gingers. if that's the case then it is pure hairism.
Original post by ThatPerson
Oxford have entrance tests like the PAT and MAT. I bet that he performed badly on those tests, hence why he didn't even get an interview. Good grades don't matter if you mess up the entrance exam. The Daily Mail are again trying to find outrage where there really isn't any, all so that their readers can shake their fists in frustration at how the UK is going downhill.

He's going to Stanford ffs, I doubt he's missing out.

I don't think Chemistry has an entrance test.
OP it's an interesting topic.

Every year a similar story is run by certain newspapers of a student with a string of As or A*s rejected by oxbridge. The agenda being these universities are elitest, had such amazing pupil gone to a different type of school perhaps or had other benefits then they'd have got in. Oh the injustice of it all. The problem with this view is that it shows a fundamental misunderstanding either wilful or not of the oxbridge application procedure

What oxbridge require that is demonstrable proof that the pupil is exceptionally gifted in the subject they choose to study and sufficiently passionate at it. Being very good at a range of subjects which are not a persons intended degree is by enlarge irrelevant. The fact that a person has great a level grades in all the sciences maths and some humanities is not sufficient proof that such a pupil is exceptional gifted in say Chemistry which they want to study at degree level (used as an example not specifically this persons case). This is why their is a personal statement to demonstrate passion enthusiam and glimmers of brilliance in thr chosen field. This is why Oxford specifically invest so much money into interviewing such a large proportion of their applicants. Besides the existence of exams such as STEP show categorically that Cambridge do not put all their emphasis on A Level attainment.

An successful application is made from the summation of all its parts which demonstrate that the applicant is suited to the course at the respective university. In this case the applicant (who incidently wouldn't have had these results when he applied October last year at the latest) was deemed unsuitable for the course. It really is that simple. Getting 7A*s does not prove that one is suitable if the ps or the interview are weaker than the accepted standard. And funnily enough no newspaper article will reveal how well his PS or interview were, nor should they.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Well, he didn't have 7A* when he got rejected.

He will presumably have had 7 A grades at AS Level, which is obviously very impressive. However, Oxford do not ask for UMS marks, so despite presumably getting over 90s, if he went on to do so at A2, he could on paper, just have looked equal to someone scraping 80% in each of their subjects. Unfortunate, but that's what happens if UMS marks aren't requested.

Also, other candidates presumably performed better at the interview.

Still, it's obviously disappointing for someone so obviously intelligent to be rejected. And I think it is incredibly unfair for people on here to presume he came across like an "arrogant nob" at the interview.

True. There is certainly an element of luck when applying to Oxbridge. Maybe he had a bad day at interview and university entrance tests. We cannot really know for sure how the Oxford admissions works and what he did wrong.
Oh because he has 7A*s he's entitled to Oxford status-get lost.
arrogant dick
At the end of the day, the university you go to can only do so much for you. If he's as intelligent as his grades would have you believe, he'd do fine anywhere he goes.

Not everything turns out the way you want it to.
Reply 32
Original post by Complex Simplicity
OP it's an interesting topic.

Getting 7A*s does not prove that one is suitable if the ps or the interview are weaker than the accepted standard. And funnily enough no newspaper article will reveal how well his PS or interview were, nor should they.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. I think he would have stood a better chance if he maybe upped his extra curricular activities which the article makes no references to, in order to show that there was more to him (there should be more to a person than just their grades:smile:). And the Daily Mail is not renowned for being honest either in regards to their information moreso 'controversial' and biased.

Just like to say I love the varying comments people on TSR have about this article :laugh:
Original post by Blondenotbimbo
You need to have loads of stuff going on the side, right?

no he probably seemed to aspergery for them

Or too smart for them

7A stars would put him at einstein level

Only extra curricular you need to do is drinking, and showin em you can drink on a sunday night and still turn up to lectures on a monday

Cameron, why not make it so that everyone who achieves 4 A* gets automatic entry into oxbridge, to stamp out racism and classism once and all.?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sheldor
They did say "maybe", meaning they aren't claiming anything per se. :wink::getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Suggestion then, if you're being like that.
To be honest, if I were Stanford I'd rethink his offer looking at some of the poses in his photos.... seriously, what is going on with the jumping picture?
Original post by EvasiveRose
I agree. I think he would have stood a better chance if he maybe upped his extra curricular activities which the article makes no references to, in order to show that there was more to him (there should be more to a person than just their grades:smile:).

Extra curriculars don't help an application to Oxford at all. This is a very outdated misconception.
Original post by JindleBrey
Maybe he came across as a nob at the interview.

That could be completely true ahaha....the way you come off as a person will surely affect the interviewers' judgement even if they're trying to stay professional :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by medbh4805
Extra curriculars don't help an application to Oxford at all. This is a very outdated misconception.

Sorry, I meant things like voluntary work in relevant areas to the degree. Unless, that doesn't count either?
Sigh not getting into oxford doesn't mean the end of the world.

Quick Reply

Latest