The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Laptop for Uni?

I'm starting university in October and I want to buy a laptop/notebook/tablet which would hopefully last the three years, it needs to be reliable and pretty lightweight for carrying to lectures and stuff.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JadeRhianna
I'm starting university in October and I want to buy a laptop/notebook/tablet which would hopefully last the three years, it needs to be reliable and pretty lightweight for carrying to lectures and stuff.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of budget do you have? :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Don't listen to anyone who says a Macbook - they are way overpriced for their hardware and notoriously unreliable/fragile.

Dell laptops are good, solid and well priced. Usually have good deals going on if you order online - had several dell laptops and none have ever failed me despite being through the wars.
Reply 3
Budget? Do you want portable, powerful or both? What are you going to be using it for?
Reply 4
I don't think I could afford a MacBook, budget is up to about £500 I guess but preferably around £300.
It doesn't really need to be powerful at all, I won't use it for games or anything. Just enough to write essays an Internet research! It'd need a long battery life for taking it to lectures/the library?
thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JadeRhianna
I don't think I could afford a MacBook, budget is up to about £500 I guess but preferably around £300.
It doesn't really need to be powerful at all, I won't use it for games or anything. Just enough to write essays an Internet research! It'd need a long battery life for taking it to lectures/the library?
thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohhhhh, DONT GET AN ACER DONT GET A DELL, (sorry but Dells have a tendency to overheat and shut down on their own during vital essay writing IMO) Samsung, Toshiba, Advent, all those make of laptops should be perfectly fine for your needs.
Reply 6
I'd recommend a Dell Inspiron 15 ~£400.
Original post by Trix465
I'd recommend a Dell Inspiron 15 ~£400.

Thats what I've got and I hate mine!! :biggrin: getting a new one before uni but I think maybe mines just temperamental
Reply 9
Original post by chloeburling
Thats what I've got and I hate mine!! :biggrin: getting a new one before uni but I think maybe mines just temperamental

Maybe i'm just careful and loving of my tech but never had a laptop/tablet fail on me ever! My ex was like a walking laptop killer, lent her one of my old ones and it died like 5 days later, wasn't happy lol!

The makes I would avoid:

Apple (cost/fragility)
Toshiba (boring/dull/poor speakers)
Samsung (I love Samsung tech but their laptops are well known for being unreliable)

Makes I recommend:

Dell
Asus
Acer
Original post by Trix465
Maybe i'm just careful and loving of my tech but never had a laptop/tablet fail on me ever! My ex was like a walking laptop killer, lent her one of my old ones and it died like 5 days later, wasn't happy lol!

The makes I would avoid:

Apple (cost/fragility)
Toshiba (boring/dull/poor speakers)
Samsung (I love Samsung tech but their laptops are well known for being unreliable)

Makes I recommend:

Dell
Asus
Acer

HAHA, oh god, I've had my Dell a good 2 years but now it just fails on me and I'm so caring to it, but Microsoft just isn't built for Adobe programmes it just crashes, so a Mac was the only option for me, that and when I went for my interview they told me to get a Mac haha, graphic student problems, the price is ridiculous though, I think I would have got a Sony otherwise!
Reply 11
I have a Sony vaio now and I've had three break on me for no apparent reason, so I really need a new more reliable one for this year haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anything but a Dell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending