The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark?

I got my AS results yesterday, and my biology grade was 2 ums off an A overall, meaning I got a B (which, in truth, I'm still relieved to get).

I've talked to loads of friends about it, and I recieved a jumble of opinions regarding whether I should remark my paper or not. Personally, I'm doubtful that it'll help, because I think the chance of them finding a few extra marks in my paper is slim. However, from another perspective, I guess an A grade at AS biology looks better than a B grade. Some people say that it's the points that matter at AS, not the grade, but I can't help but wonder that surely univerisites will see a B grade differently to an A (?).

Hope I didn't ramble too much, and that results day went okay for everyone! :colone:
Reply 1
I personally think leave it as it is because 1) they will see you are only 2 ums away which is equivalent to 1 mark so that looks good 2) there is a risk of going down and knowing most exam boards, their grade boundaries are very close together meaning losing like 2 marks could possibly bring you down a grade... you don't want to be like 10 ums awar from the A! I think you did very well (especially since it is Biology and we all know what Biology exam papers are like)
good luck for the next year to come :smile:
Original post by Missyeln213
I got my AS results yesterday, and my biology grade was 2 ums off an A overall, meaning I got a B (which, in truth, I'm still relieved to get).

I've talked to loads of friends about it, and I recieved a jumble of opinions regarding whether I should remark my paper or not. Personally, I'm doubtful that it'll help, because I think the chance of them finding a few extra marks in my paper is slim. However, from another perspective, I guess an A grade at AS biology looks better than a B grade. Some people say that it's the points that matter at AS, not the grade, but I can't help but wonder that surely univerisites will see a B grade differently to an A (?).

Hope I didn't ramble too much, and that results day went okay for everyone! :colone:

Hi Missyeln,

I agree with Rosexo, I would probably leave it as there is of course the risk of the mark going down.

There is of course the middle ground of requesting your script back and going through it before requesting a remark. Your teacher might help you go through it if they're feeling kind!

Universities will look at your module scores but the overall cash-in grade and score will of course be of more interest to them. If you're continuing on to A2 then they will see your final result and not really worry too much about how you got there (i.e. your individual module scores).

Good luck and aim high for your A2s!

Naveed.
Reply 3
well if it is the case that they don't see your ums, then yes i suggest you ask your referee to mention it in! but seriously regardless you did well! I understand your stress as I am in a similar position with chemistry (you did better than me in Biology, just to let you know.. I was 9 ums away from the A so about 6 marks away which is absolutely gutting) what are you planning to do in university?
Reply 4
Thank you both for the swift replies!
I'll take your advice and not go in for a remark (plus it'll save me £46!) :redface:

Also, I was wondering whether universities get our ums scores? Or do they just get the grades? If they just get the grades and not the ums scores, then does that mean they won't know if grades are the high/low end of the boundaries?
Once again, all the help is much appreciated!

you see, i was always under the impression that they do see your ums but I'm possibly wrong - which is sad if you were really close to the next grade up. Do ask your teachers about this, I know I will! And yeah, if they don't see the ums then they'll only know the grade not how high or low it is. But lets say you are given an offer and you narrowly missed it by a one or two ums in a subject, the uni may ask you for your ums and still accept you!
Reply 5
Original post by rosexo
well if it is the case that they don't see your ums, then yes i suggest you ask your referee to mention it in! but seriously regardless you did well! I understand your stress as I am in a similar position with chemistry (you did better than me in Biology, just to let you know.. I was 9 ums away from the A so about 6 marks away which is absolutely gutting) what are you planning to do in university?

I think the biology paper for OCR was horrible. I literally fell for every single trap they set, without even realising it! I'm relieved to get a B, as I was expecting a C, haha :colondollar:
You're probably better than me at chemistry- I'm absolutely terrible at it, and I managed to get a C, which was expected, but I'm being forced to take it next year because I'm dropping maths (and that's something I'm sure of! Maths is my worst nightmare. Why did I take it for AS? Self torture?!).
Yeah, it's always frustrating when you're just a few marks away from the next grade up. :angry:

To be honest, I'm not too sure as to what I want to do. Initially, I was going to do biological sciences, or biomedical science, but now I'm not too sure. I guess I'm just not passionate enough about anything to really know what I want to do at university! Hell, my ideal job would be to be a video game tester, haha :colone:
What do you want to study? :tongue:
Original post by rosexo
you see, i was always under the impression that they do see your ums but I'm possibly wrong - which is sad if you were really close to the next grade up. Do ask your teachers about this, I know I will! And yeah, if they don't see the ums then they'll only know the grade not how high or low it is. But lets say you are given an offer and you narrowly missed it by a one or two ums in a subject, the uni may ask you for your ums and still accept you!

I deal with a number of students doing re-takes and I also help with their UCAS applications.

You are meant to declare all completed exams with just a final grade, and anything that you haven't finished with a grade of 'pending'. You don't actually have to declare your UMS scores, but as you mentioned, if they're really good then they might be talked about in your reference.

If you are taking an AS level on to A2 then I would call that a work-in-progress and it would just be an A2 'pending' grade.

When universities get your results they just get a grade and no UMS scores.

Naveed.
Reply 7
I think the biology paper for OCR was horrible. I literally fell for every single trap they set, without even realising it! I'm relieved to get a B, as I was expecting a C, haha :colondollar:
You're probably better than me at chemistry- I'm absolutely terrible at it, and I managed to get a C, which was expected, but I'm being forced to take it next year because I'm dropping maths (and that's something I'm sure of! Maths is my worst nightmare. Why did I take it for AS? Self torture?!).
Yeah, it's always frustrating when you're just a few marks away from the next grade up. :angry:

To be honest, I'm not too sure as to what I want to do. Initially, I was going to do biological sciences, or biomedical science, but now I'm not too sure. I guess I'm just not passionate enough about anything to really know what I want to do at university! Hell, my ideal job would be to be a video game tester, haha :colone:
What do you want to study? :tongue:

Trust me, same thing happened with me with my Biology AQA paper! complete nightmare, I'm grateful I got the B because just like you, i expected much lower! To be honest chemistry did come as a surprise but it is a hard subject so well done on your C! ohh wow yes i agree, maths is just - no words! I didn't do maths but I did physics which i am dropping because wow did i fail that (don't know what possessed me to pick it!)

understandable, I've never been passionate about something but i knew i wanted it to be sciency! Hopefully you decide soon... just do deep research into each possible course you may consider and see what stands out to you and definitely attend some open day lectures on those courses! Maybe some work experience will help you see what you are interested in? I've only decided quite recently that I would like to do pharmacy!
Reply 8
Original post by rosexo
Trust me, same thing happened with me with my Biology AQA paper! complete nightmare, I'm grateful I got the B because just like you, i expected much lower! To be honest chemistry did come as a surprise but it is a hard subject so well done on your C! ohh wow yes i agree, maths is just - no words! I didn't do maths but I did physics which i am dropping because wow did i fail that (don't know what possessed me to pick it!)

understandable, I've never been passionate about something but i knew i wanted it to be sciency! Hopefully you decide soon... just do deep research into each possible course you may consider and see what stands out to you and definitely attend some open day lectures on those courses! Maybe some work experience will help you see what you are interested in? I've only decided quite recently that I would like to do pharmacy!

Kudos to you for taking AS physics, haha :colone: I have so much respect for you right now :colondollar:
I got an A* in GCSE maths, got predicted an A for AS, and yesterday I walked out with a D. :colone: Pretty proud of myself, actually, considering my whole family is amazing at it- except for me.
Yeah, I'll be spending these last few weeks of the holidays doing loads of research around different courses :s-smilie:
Ooohh pharmacy sounds funky. Where're you thinking of applying to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a similar issue with my maths & I'm not sure whether to remark or not...

I'm normally a straight A student & I got 95 UMS in my core 1 exam in January, but I ended up with a C overall in my AS maths because I only got 1 mark into a C on my statistics paper & 1 mark into a D on my core 2! I'm now trying to work out whether to get a remark for them or not as although I doubt the module grades will go up, I'm only 4 UMS marks off a B overall so I might be able to bump up my grade by remarking...

I'm in 2 minds about it because I did feel like those exams went pretty badly, but expected a sort of low C/high D in my core 2 & around a B in my stats so finding out my results was a bit of a shock... Normally in this situation I think I would remark but I'm not sure how easy it is to find extra marks out of a maths paper, I mean surely the marking should be pretty clear cut?

What do you guys think?
Reply 10
Kudos to you for taking AS physics, haha :colone: I have so much respect for you right now :colondollar:
I got an A* in GCSE maths, got predicted an A for AS, and yesterday I walked out with a D. :colone: Pretty proud of myself, actually, considering my whole family is amazing at it- except for me.
Yeah, I'll be spending these last few weeks of the holidays doing loads of research around different courses :s-smilie:
Ooohh pharmacy sounds funky. Where're you thinking of applying to?

yeahhh urm let's just say you did better in maths than I in Physics :colondollar:
You should be damn proud of yourself!!! Hahaha oh well, leave that subject behind :smile:
if you need any help, let me know!!
Well I want to go nottingham or kings, but they want AAB and I'm not sure if i can manage to get :s-smilie: What about you?
Reply 11
Original post by alice95louise
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a similar issue with my maths & I'm not sure whether to remark or not...

I'm normally a straight A student & I got 95 UMS in my core 1 exam in January, but I ended up with a C overall in my AS maths because I only got 1 mark into a C on my statistics paper & 1 mark into a D on my core 2! I'm now trying to work out whether to get a remark for them or not as although I doubt the module grades will go up, I'm only 4 UMS marks off a B overall so I might be able to bump up my grade by remarking...

I'm in 2 minds about it because I did feel like those exams went pretty badly, but expected a sort of low C/high D in my core 2 & around a B in my stats so finding out my results was a bit of a shock... Normally in this situation I think I would remark but I'm not sure how easy it is to find extra marks out of a maths paper, I mean surely the marking should be pretty clear cut?

What do you guys think?

Hmmm well I would suggest possibly remark your stats paper, but i don't think there is any point of remarking your core 2 paper - possibly consider retaking that one? I know it sucks, trust me. But if you want to be safe next year consider retaking one. And yeah, with maths it's a bit straightforward to mark so I'm not sure how many extra marks you'll be able to get. But good luck to you!
Reply 12
Original post by rosexo
yeahhh urm let's just say you did better in maths than I in Physics :colondollar:
You should be damn proud of yourself!!! Hahaha oh well, leave that subject behind :smile:
if you need any help, let me know!!
Well I want to go nottingham or kings, but they want AAB and I'm not sure if i can manage to get :s-smilie: What about you?

I'm looking at Warwick, Nottingham and Sheffield etc. Well, the 'etc' basically means there's a whole load of other uni's I haven't looked at properly yet xD The grade requirements I'm looking at are AAB-ABB. Initially it was AAA, but you can thank results day for crushing that idea :colone:
We might both end up in Nottingham, heheh :wink:
I think AAB is very achievable- we can do it! I think it's all about keeping on top of things throughout the whole year, so when it comes to revision before exams, you're actually revising (rather than re-learning half the specification from scratch, haha).
BRING ON A2. I'LL KICK IT IN THE BUTT.
Reply 13
I'm looking at Warwick, Nottingham and Sheffield etc. Well, the 'etc' basically means there's a whole load of other uni's I haven't looked at properly yet xD The grade requirements I'm looking at are AAB-ABB. Initially it was AAA, but you can thank results day for crushing that idea :colone:
We might both end up in Nottingham, heheh :wink:
I think AAB is very achievable- we can do it! I think it's all about keeping on top of things throughout the whole year, so when it comes to revision before exams, you're actually revising (rather than re-learning half the specification from scratch, haha).
BRING ON A2. I'LL KICK IT IN THE BUTT.

hahaha we still got time dont worry! Basically the same - but yep results have made me lower my expectations :mad:
Yes so true, we can doooooooo itttttttt!
Reply 14
Original post by alice95louise
Hi,

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think it'll be hard to find extra marks in science or maths papers because like you said, the marking should be pretty clear cut. But if you really want to, you can :tongue: I mean, nothing's set in stone, so it's always possible!
I won't be getting a remark on my biology paper because even though there's a chance of them finding an extra mark in my paper, I feel that it's a slim chance and I don't really want to cash out £46 from my pocket :frown:
You can always get your paper back and go over it with your teacher. That'll definitely help you learn from your mistakes.
Good luck for next year! Well done for doing so well in maths, haha. Full hearted respect coming from me :cool:
Personally, I think it'll be hard to find extra marks in science or maths papers because like you said, the marking should be pretty clear cut. But if you really want to, you can :tongue: I mean, nothing's set in stone, so it's always possible!
I won't be getting a remark on my biology paper because even though there's a chance of them finding an extra mark in my paper, I feel that it's a slim chance and I don't really want to cash out £46 from my pocket :frown:
You can always get your paper back and go over it with your teacher. That'll definitely help you learn from your mistakes.
Good luck for next year! Well done for doing so well in maths, haha. Full hearted respect coming from me :cool:

Thanks :smile: I'm not carrying maths on to next year anyway so I doubt I'll resit, but yeah maths is like stupidly hard :L I'm going to talk it through with my teachers & see what they say as I've got nothing to lose except the money :P thanks for the advice & good luck for next year as well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest