The Student Room Group

7 A*s at A-Level BUT rejected by Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
autism confirmed
Original post by EvasiveRose
I agree. I think he would have stood a better chance if he maybe upped his extra curricular activities which the article makes no references to, in order to show that there was more to him (there should be more to a person than just their grades:smile:). And the Daily Mail is not renowned for being honest either in regards to their information moreso 'controversial' and biased.

Just like to say I love the varying comments people on TSR have about this article :laugh:

Oxford don't care about being an all rounder or extra curriculars, that's the American system-they just want people that are really good at their subject. Being a chess grandmaster who is also a professional footballer with several acclaimed published novels discussing the complexities of the Cold War means pretty much nothing if you're applying for Music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Isn't it up to uni's if you cut the grade with them and not vice versa? Or is it LAW they have to take you if you have the grades? Me thinks its the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, I meant things like voluntary work in relevant areas to the degree. Unless, that doesn't count either?

Probably not much tbh.

Given Oxford don't see UMS and that there's no pre-interview aptitude test for Chemistry, I imagine it just came down to better interview performance from the other applicants.
Reply 44
Original post by yaboy
He went Harvard, at least he can say he showed them

true, harvard > oxford
Clearly he didn't stand out enough personality-wise?
Sorry, I meant things like voluntary work in relevant areas to the degree. Unless, that doesn't count either?

Outside of medicine, not really.
He looks like a pizza..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Did he have any friends or a life away from study? there is no need to do so many a levels.
Reply 49
Original post by Sheldor
Oxford don't care about being an all rounder or extra curriculars, that's the American system-they just want people that are really good at their subject. Being a chess grandmaster who is also a professional footballer with several acclaimed published novels discussing the complexities of the Cold War means pretty much nothing if you're applying for Music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Probably not much tbh.

Given Oxford don't see UMS and that there's no pre-interview aptitude test for Chemistry, I imagine it just came down to better interview performance from the other applicants.

Forgive my naivety. :sorry: I'm still gearing myself up to take A-Levels and know next to nothing aside from hearsay (can't count this as accurate) about these top universities. I just wanted to see what people would make of this story.
At Oxford, although good grades are appreciated and are very useful, they look for a real passion about your subject, they want somebody who has read outside the curriculum and somebody who will excel because of their passion rather than general intelligence.
Reply 51
Original post by medbh4805
Outside of medicine, not really.

Well, I now know that:biggrin:
Original post by rickfloss
Cameron, why not make it so that everyone who achieves 4 A* gets automatic entry into oxbridge, to stamp out racism and classism once and all.?

Can't tell if sarcasm. If it is not. You're a ****ing idiot.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think Chemistry has an entrance test.

The article states that he plans on studying Chemistry and (possibly) Maths at Stanford. It also doesn't actually mention what he applied for at Oxford. So the failing the entrance exam still is a possibility if he applied for another subject.

Extra curriculars don't matter for most oxbridge courses but relevant 'real world' experience such as voluntary work, attending seminars etc. would go some way to proving that you have "passion" for your degree course, which is one of the areas oxbridge are very much interested in. That said, it still matters far less than proving that you are gifted in the degree course you are aiming to do.
Original post by ThatPerson
The article states that he plans on studying Chemistry and (possibly) Maths at Stanford. It also doesn't actually mention what he applied for at Oxford. So the failing the entrance exam still is a possibility if he applied for another subject.

'Possibly in conjunction with maths' - sounds like he prefers Chemistry, and would have applied for that.
Reply 56
Everyone applying to Oxford is going to have top-notch grades. The interview would be pointless if it was based on that.

The interviews, like a job interview in some cases, are to get a feel for ther person that you are, see if you are suited to the kind of pressures that you'd be under at Oxford and to study your academic potential. Indeed, in the 1-on-1 tutorial system, the tutors interviewing you need to be convinced that you're someone they can work with and help.

I *speculate* that he may have come across as rather arrogant and the tutors may have disliked - indeed that he went to the Press to complain about the rejection may have proved the point. Oxford and Cambridge will always say "We had many exceptional applicants", as in this article, since it is less controversial than rejecting him based on more subjective criteria.

The article talks of his applications to the US as if there is some sort of equivalence in admissions considerations. Although top US universities do conduct interviews, they tend to happen when they're undecided about a candidate. They are more grade orientated. They don't rigorously interview everyone as Oxbridge does, nor do they have a similar tutorial system that necessitates it. Oxbridge candidates tend to have two or three interviews and even on the spot tests during interviews. Entry criteria are also very high, but they are not the same.
Reply 57
Original post by dg2009
Did he have any friends or a life away from study? there is no need to do so many a levels.

He's from Ireland I think it's compulsory to do 7 a levels?? I remember my Irish English teacher saying this
Reply 58
Original post by susan_ani
He's from Ireland I think it's compulsory to do 7 a levels?? I remember my Irish English teacher saying this

He's from Northern Ireland and no 7 isn't compulsory here :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by Complex Simplicity
Extra curriculars don't matter for most oxbridge courses but relevant 'real world' experience such as voluntary work, attending seminars etc. would go some way to proving that you have "passion" for your degree course, which is one of the areas oxbridge are very much interested in. That said, it still matters far less than proving that you are gifted in the degree course you are aiming to do.

That's understandable

Quick Reply