The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2013 Summer Pool Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grauniad
I'm a little confused as to what happens next. Results day shook me a bit, so I'm starting to wonder if my insurance (Birmingham) might make for a less stressful 3 years with a better outcome (plus a few other personal reasons). If on the off-chance I get an offer from the Summer Pool, would it automatically allocate me to Cambridge while rejecting Birmingham, or do I still have to manually pick one on UCAS?
Would I need to contact Cambridge and Birmingham to tell them I'd rather go to the latter and drop out of Cambridge if UCAS automatically assumes the firm is accepted?
Am I completely mad and unreasonable to doubt whether I should accept Cambridge at all?

I was going through the same thought process yesterday, you're not alone :smile: I believe that if your original college fishes you, you're obligated, but if another fishes you, you might be able to get out of it? In either case I'm sure you can call them up and sort it out, although it would be a shame if that left a space that could have been filled by another candidate.

The real question is - whatever offer Cambridge might make to you, is there any way you'd pick Birmingham over it? Even if you got fished by a college you didn't really like/for a different course (eg. I got offered maths rather than maths+phys)/etc?
Reply 121
Just had call from Homerton offering place to read maths. Shocked but happy.
Reply 122
How do the colleges contact the students they fish? And also, if your original college takes you, do you count as accepted via the pool anyway in the stats?
Original post by EllieHolderness
I was going through the same thought process yesterday, you're not alone :smile: I believe that if your original college fishes you, you're obligated, but if another fishes you, you might be able to get out of it? In either case I'm sure you can call them up and sort it out, although it would be a shame if that left a space that could have been filled by another candidate.

The real question is - whatever offer Cambridge might make to you, is there any way you'd pick Birmingham over it? Even if you got fished by a college you didn't really like/for a different course (eg. I got offered maths rather than maths+phys)/etc?

Original post by St. Brynjar
I felt like that with my insurance, Nottingham. It does feel a bit weird and I'm less happy than I though I'd be!

Original post by T.Aria
I completely agree. My insurance is Birmingham and they have been so friendly and helpful, unlike Cambridge.
Yes, it rejects Birmingham automatically. You cannot manually pick between firm and insurance.
I have just confirmed my insurance offer with Birmingham even though I am in the summer pool.

Thank y'all for kind/explanatory words. Chatted it out with the ol' mother, and I think my reservations are (as they were after my interviews, which I thought had gone terribly) down to the fact that I've built up a little protective shield of "oh, I didn't want to go anyway" to cushion rejection. Since my offer, I've wanted desperately to go, and my confidence knock yesterday from results led to a kneejerk "yah boo, Cambridge" thing.

Either way, I'd be really happy to go to either place. It's just different kinds of happy for different reasons, as it were.
Original post by RalphABB
How do the colleges contact the students they fish? And also, if your original college takes you, do you count as accepted via the pool anyway in the stats?

I'm an international student, so they emailed me. I think they call you though if you live in the UK.
Amd yes, I think that is the case. You didn't meet the offer, so you had to go through the pooling process. :P
Original post by sweetFA

Congratulations! *high five*
Reply 126
Original post by Llewellyn
I've already talked to 3 others who have been pooled with S grades from Trinity and the admissions tutor told me that the competition was so fierce that they are completely full as so many made the offer.

Have you been fished yet?
Reply 127
Original post by sweetFA

Lots of good news! Well done! :colondollar:
Reply 128
Original post by nickyr212
Congratulations! *high five*

And you with Girton - really pleased for you - about as far away from Homerton as you can be geographically - but both are in Cambridge!!!!!
Reply 129
Original post by nickyr212
I'm an international student, so they emailed me. I think they call you though if you live in the UK.
Amd yes, I think that is the case. You didn't meet the offer, so you had to go through the pooling process. :P

Which college contacted you? I'm an international as well. Back in January, I had to email them (Magdalene)so that they told me about my offer and sent me a copy of the letter. Wondering if I should do the same now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 130
Any IB students still swimming right now? I'm another classicist waiting to hear :-/ Thought we would have heard by now. I'll be happy with a broom cupboard. Missed by one mark in one exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going away tomorrow, what do I do if Cambridge still haven't contacted me?
I just got an email from Selwyn a few minutes ago, and I'm in! Aha, it seems I've been passed round all the colleges from King's to Magdalene to Selwyn. So don't give up hope those of you left swimming. :smile:
Reply 133
Well done for selwyn! Which subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Original post by chocoholic_x
I just got an email from Selwyn a few minutes ago, and I'm in! Aha, it seems I've been passed round all the colleges from King's to Magdalene to Selwyn. So don't give up hope those of you left swimming. :smile:

I remember you on earlier thread.....well done! Great news! See you next year ( although I'm kings......) :smile:
Original post by Melle123
Yeah, I'm only two hours away on the train but it will feel like forever! Ah that sucks, know how you feel :frown: oh gosh, I bet it was tricky! So what grade did you get in it? Haha yeah! Plus three years at York will probably be a lot less stressful/much more fun! Not knocking Cambridge at all obviously, but this last year was stressful enough and I guess York might be a blessing in disguise haha :tongue:

Sorry I've taken a while to reply- I'm lucky enough to have been fished by Selwyn, so I'm over the moon! I hope you've heard something for closure now :smile:
Ah, two hours is a great time :smile: Much better than living on the Isle of Wight! In Latin? A (somehow- one part of one of the exams was just absolutely dreadful). York could well be a blessing in disguise, in that way, yes. Oh I have no idea how I'll cope with work next year, but I'll find my own way somehow!

Really hope if you haven't heard anything that you do very very soon :smile:
I got a call from Murray Edwards and I'm in :smile: for History :smile: I'm so happy. Good luck for everyone still swimming! Hopefully see you all in October and you are all veritably excellent xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Original post by chocoholic_x

High fives!! I've been fished to Selwyn (from Magdalene-weird) too! Celebration time :banana:
Reply 138
Original post by Powerfrau
Sorry I've taken a while to reply- I'm lucky enough to have been fished by Selwyn, so I'm over the moon! I hope you've heard something for closure now :smile:
Ah, two hours is a great time :smile: Much better than living on the Isle of Wight! In Latin? A (somehow- one part of one of the exams was just absolutely dreadful). York could well be a blessing in disguise, in that way, yes. Oh I have no idea how I'll cope with work next year, but I'll find my own way somehow!

Really hope if you haven't heard anything that you do very very soon :smile:

Awh that's great, well done! Yeah nothing yet, oh well. Good luck there :smile:
When are they going to give us the final decision?! I feel sick, why can't it be over already =(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending