The Student Room Group

Dad really really really mad and upset at A level results

Ok, well, I got my AS results and turns out I got D in Sociology, E in English, E in Economics, U in Chemistry. These are crap results OK I KNOW. And im not allowed to stay at my current sixth form so I have to re-take the year at another school, and my dad is really mad and upset and not the same. I can't talk to him without him mentioning how downhill I've gone and I feel ****, I don't know what to do. I'm currently looking for a new school. I feel really bad for him because he's worked his socks off alone for 17 years without a partner and I achieved in Year 7, getting into one of the best schools in the country. I then went down hill, and got kicked out for poor GCSE results, then left and went to another good school, and then got kicked out for poor A level results and now I am here stuck. I know why I didn't do well in my A levels, i was pressured to take subjects I didn't do well in at GCSE. I don't know what to do!!!!! How can I make it up to my dad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want to do? What's the point retaking a-levels if you're not going to bother? DEEU is results that somebody who doesn't try/cares get. get a goal, get a goal now. and stick to it. School is the platform to your life, it's 2 years for A-levels, for 2 small years out of your 60 working years you can knuckle down and work hard to get as many doors open.

That's my $0.02
Reply 2
Find a new school and just spend the next two years of your life working towards your A levels and nothing else. To be honest I see no other alternative...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
the person above really did put it perfectly... if you are going to redo your alevels, PUT THE EFFORT IN. I can assure you, if you put the effort in, theres absolutely no reason for you not to get an A. No reason at all...
Original post by SamRam
Find a new school and just spend the next two years of your life working towards your A levels and nothing else. To be honest I see no other alternative...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No alternative? What about getting a job, or an apprenticeship?
Reply 5
Original post by ChickensUnited
Ok, well, I got my AS results and turns out I got D in Sociology, E in English, E in Economics, U in Chemistry. These are crap results OK I KNOW. And im not allowed to stay at my current sixth form so I have to re-take the year at another school, and my dad is really mad and upset and not the same. I can't talk to him without him mentioning how downhill I've gone and I feel ****, I don't know what to do. I'm currently looking for a new school. I feel really bad for him because he's worked his socks off alone for 17 years without a partner and I achieved in Year 7, getting into one of the best schools in the country. I then went down hill, and got kicked out for poor GCSE results, then left and went to another good school, and then got kicked out for poor A level results and now I am here stuck. I know why I didn't do well in my A levels, i was pressured to take subjects I didn't do well in at GCSE. I don't know what to do!!!!! How can I make it up to my dad?

Why did you get poor A-levels? Was it because you didn't try, or was it because you found the content very difficult?
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
No alternative? What about getting a job, or an apprenticeship?

I'm guessing his dad won't accept that as a suitable alternative? I could be wrong but his father sounds like he wants his kid to excel academically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Tabzqt
Why did you get poor A-levels? Was it because you didn't try, or was it because you found the content very difficult?

I found the content extremely difficult. I went lots of days after school, attented many clinics to try to understand and I struggled. I did really well at GCSE Art and RS, getting A*'s, yet I didn't take any of them, I think thats my mistake. I don't even need Economics and Chemistry for Uni as i want to study Sociology
Reply 8
Original post by SamRam
I'm guessing his dad won't accept that as a suitable alternative? I could be wrong but his father sounds like he wants his kid to excel academically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, he's trying to make me feel guilty by saying just get a job, but then I feel I've failed him if I do that. I want to go to University!
Reply 9
Not really, he's trying to make me feel guilty by saying just get a job, but then I feel I've failed him if I do that. I want to go to University!

Why do you feel like you failed him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I understand how bad you feel. I'm in the same situation, my parents are extremely upset and hurt at my results. I got a B - Art, U - Maths, U - Biology and that's because I did my work last minute. I had big dreams and they had big dreams for me too. I also didn't have great GCSE's but we gotta do is just retake the year somewhere else and honestly, that is the only option we have. You just gotta promise your dad you'll work harder and actually do it.

Before applying to other colleges and you need to be doing this and going to enrol at other colleges by next week. Look and research what you really want to do, find out the salary for the job you want to do, find out what courses are required to get into the course you want in Uni. Look at the grades they need, and find out different paths for it. Do everything you can in these few days and find out what you really want, and/or call up universities that do your courses and ask as many questions as you want. Go to the UCAS website and just research that is all.

There is nothing else we can really do, huh?
But do it because your dad and your life depends on it.

Here's a link to a great website I recently found that helped inspire and motivate me:
http://www.lifehack.org/

Good Luck, and if you need to speak about anything or need help. I can try and help you.
Take care and WORRRRRRRKKKKKKKKK!
Original post by SamRam
Why do you feel like you failed him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

because he worked hard for me, spent money for me to get into a good university. For example, he pays 600 pounds every year for Piano lessons, just for me to pass my grade 8. Im currently almost there at Grade 8. That on its own shows im not lazy.
Start again, pick the subjects you actually want to study, work hard, get into university, and make your dad proud.
Original post by zaisam27
I understand how bad you feel. I'm in the same situation, my parents are extremely upset and hurt at my results. I got a B - Art, U - Maths, U - Biology and that's because I did my work last minute. I had big dreams and they had big dreams for me too. I also didn't have great GCSE's but we gotta do is just retake the year somewhere else and honestly, that is the only option we have. You just gotta promise your dad you'll work harder and actually do it.

Before applying to other colleges and you need to be doing this and going to enrol at other colleges by next week. Look and research what you really want to do, find out the salary for the job you want to do, find out what courses are required to get into the course you want in Uni. Look at the grades they need, and find out different paths for it. Do everything you can in these few days and find out what you really want, and/or call up universities that do your courses and ask as many questions as you want. Go to the UCAS website and just research that is all.

There is nothing else we can really do, huh?
But do it because your dad and your life depends on it.

Here's a link to a great website I recently found that helped inspire and motivate me:
http://www.lifehack.org/

Good Luck, and if you need to speak about anything or need help. I can try and help you.
Take care and WORRRRRRRKKKKKKKKK!

Cheers buddy, and yeah I've applied for a couple of schools but i feel they won't accept me as it is too last minute and its a retake of a year
I found the content extremely difficult. I went lots of days after school, attented many clinics to try to understand and I struggled. I did really well at GCSE Art and RS, getting A*'s, yet I didn't take any of them, I think thats my mistake. I don't even need Economics and Chemistry for Uni as i want to study Sociology

Well that's one part of it, but if you only got a D in the subject you actually want to study at uni, then there's a problem with either effort or aptitude in it.
Reply 15

Maybe you should choose different subjects at your new school. If you're good at art and RS, maybe you should try and choose subjects more like those. Economics and chemistry aren't really required for sociology at uni, so replacing those with subjects you find easier will help a lot.

If you don't understand the material you're being taught, sitting in after-school revision sessions won't help very much at all. It's really important at A level (unlike at GCSE) to have a complete understanding of your subject, why everything you learn is the case, and how it all fits together. That may be what's missing from your study strategy.

Also, post-it notes. Post-it notes are cool.

If you have your heart set on a sociology degree, you can achieve it. Subject choice and revision strategy both sound like things you need to rethink first, though.

And remember that university isn't the only respectable option, despite what family and the media may have you believe. If you struggle a lot with A levels, maybe uni just isn't for you; there's no shame in considering other options, like jobs and apprenticeships.

I'm sure your dad will support you whatever you choose - he's clearly disappointed, but that's probably only because he knows you can do better. His disappointment will pass, and you can make up for it by showing him how hard you're working now and achieving good results next time around.
(edited 10 years ago)
Did your dad pressurise you into taking the subjects you didn't do well in GCSEs? Intrinsic motivation is very important in being able to do well beyond GCSE level, but it's still not an excuse for the grades you got.

If you actually want to do A-levels, have you thought about what YOU want to study? It will be difficult to find another school so quickly. I suggest you ask your school if they would allow you to take subjects that you want to study. Explain how you were pressurised into take those subjects and it had a huge impact on your grades and you feel you would be able to do better in the subjects of your choice.

Work hard this time. Hopefully you'll get the results you want. Good luck!
I got 4 Ds in my AS results, which I guess is good because at least i didn't fail anything but i'm still shocked as I expected to get atleast a C in Sociology of English Language. I really don't know whether to send them off for remarking or retake the exams, but I really don't want to retake the year! That is something that I refuse to do! Will these marks affect next years final grades too, because if they do them i'm screwed haha. Someone reply please!
Original post by alexmagpie
Well that's one part of it, but if you only got a D in the subject you actually want to study at uni, then there's a problem with either effort or aptitude in it.

true haha, but i know it sounds like I am making excuses but i feel i know the stuff its just my exam technique is poor which can be worked on.
Original post by rebeccadiane
I got 4 Ds in my AS results, which I guess is good because at least i didn't fail anything but i'm still shocked as I expected to get atleast a C in Sociology of English Language. I really don't know whether to send them off for remarking or retake the exams, but I really don't want to retake the year! That is something that I refuse to do! Will these marks affect next years final grades too, because if they do them i'm screwed haha. Someone reply please!

i recommend re taking the year if you want to have a realistic opportunity of getting into a decent university

Quick Reply

Latest