The Student Room Group

EPQ equal rights, gay marriage

Hi!
I'm trying to think of a good title for my extended project qualification as I am looking into legalizing gay marriage within the UK, and referring to what America has done recently with regards to gay marriage laws. Any articles that people may come across would be greatly appreciate as well thankyou x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Articles about America or the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iv referred to cases that are from different states so far x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheDapperNapper
Hi!
I'm trying to think of a good title for my extended project qualification as I am looking into legalizing gay marriage within the UK

:-/

Gay marriage has already been legalized in the UK. The Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Act got the royal assent this month
Yes but it's more of a question as to whether it is right to do so in uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but it's more of a question as to whether it is right to do so in uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, OK. From which perspective? I have a few articles for the UK as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually that could be my title, Should gays/lesbians be allowed equal rights to marry?, what do you think, or does it sound too one sided

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's an argumentative piece so I need it to be for and against

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually that could be my title, Should gays/lesbians be allowed equal rights to marry?, what do you think, or does it sound too one sided

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd have said something like 'Should same-sex couples be allowed equal rights to marry?' would be more appropriate, 'gays' sounds a little informal IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's an appropriate project, considering that it is a right of gays and lesbians, from July 2013, to marry.

Questioning a pre-existing right is like asking, "Should black people be allowed to vote?"
Original post by MostUncivilised
I don't think it's an appropriate project, considering that it is a right of gays and lesbians to marry.

Questioning a pre-existing right is like asking, "Should black people be allowed to vote?"

Given the whole civil partnership vs marriage argument, I wouldn't have said the premise was inappropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's an argumentative piece so I need it to be for and against

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/seven-ways-civil-partnership-isnt-same-marriage250113

That's about the differences between Civil Partnerships and marriage, dunno if that's of use to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're saying that it is too inappropriate for me to write about ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're saying that it is too inappropriate for me to write about ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I don't think it's inappropriate. But you could always check with your teacher if you're unsure

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a very current topic and I feel that it should be discussed, I'm not putting my opinion across just other peoples opinions, quotes and facts that iv discovered, and therefore my reader can create their own viewpoint

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by shadowdweller
Given the whole civil partnership vs marriage argument, I wouldn't have said the premise was inappropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm inclined to agree, although two things:

1) I'd say "same-sex couples". It's less informal, and also includes bisexuals dating members of their own sex (not just "gays"!)

2) Instead of saying "should same sex couples have the right to marry?", which implies that they're being "granted" a right, I'd ask whether "marriage" is necessary, or whether civil partnership does/should suffice. It's slightly academic now that same-sex civil marriage has been legalised, but it might be interesting to consider the similarities/differences nonetheless.

Something else which might be of interest, OP - I read this a few years ago and it seemed OK. Pretty heavy going, but one interesting idea was the notion of "domestic partnership" (?) from the Netherlands, which enables people in non-sexual relationships (e.g. people like the Burden sisters) to enjoy some of the benefits denied to cohabiting couples.

Note too that there's no such thing as "common law marriage" in the UK - it's a myth that people living together for so many years have the legal benefits (e.g. on death) of married couples. I appreciate that these points are moving away from same-sex marriage and more towards marriage as an institution, but you might struggle to write 5,000 words just on the LGBT aspect, especially since it's now been legalised.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 18
It is a very current topic and I feel that it should be discussed, I'm not putting my opinion across just other peoples opinions, quotes and facts that iv discovered, and therefore my reader can create their own viewpoint

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be careful - I did my EPQ in 2010 (so a while ago now!), but I think you'll need to have an opinion of your own which is evident in the conclusion. By all means dedicate equal attention to both sides, but it should be obvious what you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not meaning to be harsh. Just that from my perspective, considering that same-sex marriage is now law of the land, it does seem analagous to "Should we be allowed to discriminate against black people?", or something similar.

The provision of rights to minorities tends only to go in one direction. I don't deny that it is a topical issue, but my law background suggests to me that people wouldn't question similarly entrenched rights that have accrued to a similar minority group.

But please don't forbear to do this on my account; it is topical and interesting, and if you do it right I'm sure it would be entirely appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending