The Student Room Group

Dad really really really mad and upset at A level results

Scroll to see replies

It's your fault, and as your father he has all right to be angry at you.
Reply 21
Well if you want to go to uni I'm afraid I don't see any other option than to resist your A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I love shopping
Did your dad pressurise you into taking the subjects you didn't do well in GCSEs? Intrinsic motivation is very important in being able to do well beyond GCSE level, but it's still not an excuse for the grades you got.

If you actually want to do A-levels, have you thought about what YOU want to study? It will be difficult to find another school so quickly. I suggest you ask your school if they would allow you to take subjects that you want to study. Explain how you were pressurised into take those subjects and it had a huge impact on your grades and you feel you would be able to do better in the subjects of your choice.

Work hard this time. Hopefully you'll get the results you want. Good luck!

cheers but im long gone from that school, they say no to any body wanting to retake. And yeah, im not going to blame it all on taking the wrong subjects but i really feel if i took art, rs, and media studies i'd do really well, as i have always been the creative type
Original post by Lord Harold
It's your fault, and as your father he has all right to be angry at you.

I know, thats why i said i feel bad, but i don't know how to make it up to him right now, as last year i told him i would do better, he just doesn't trust me anymore
Reply 24
It is obvious that you don't have much interest in education. It your fault that you failed but it is the system's fault for forcing you down this same path repeatedly.
Original post by ChickensUnited
I know, thats why i said i feel bad, but i don't know how to make it up to him right now, as last year i told him i would do better, he just doesn't trust me anymore

I think you'll just have to leave it until you can prove him wrong again.
Original post by dendodge
Maybe you should choose different subjects at your new school. If you're good at art and RS, maybe you should try and choose subjects more like those. Economics and chemistry aren't really required for sociology at uni, so replacing those with subjects you find easier will help a lot.

If you don't understand the material you're being taught, sitting in after-school revision sessions won't help very much at all. It's really important at A level (unlike at GCSE) to have a complete understanding of your subject, why everything you learn is the case, and how it all fits together. That may be what's missing from your study strategy.

Also, post-it notes. Post-it notes are cool.

If you have your heart set on a sociology degree, you can achieve it. Subject choice and revision strategy both sound like things you need to rethink first, though.

And remember that university isn't the only respectable option, despite what family and the media may have you believe. If you struggle a lot with A levels, maybe uni just isn't for you; there's no shame in considering other options, like jobs and apprenticeships.

I'm sure your dad will support you whatever you choose - he's clearly disappointed, but that's probably only because he knows you can do better. His disappointment will pass, and you can make up for it by showing him how hard you're working now and achieving good results next time around.

Really helpful thanks, i 100% agree with what you said about understanding the subject before you take it for a level, and too be honest i felt a bit lucky i got two b's in chemistry and economics at GCSE
Reply 27
Original post by Lord Harold
I think you'll just have to leave it until you can prove him wrong again.

^agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
He'll be fine in a week.

You can 'make it up' to him by doing trying harder next time.
Original post by peter12345
It is obvious that you don't have much interest in education. It your fault that you failed but it is the system's fault for forcing you down this same path repeatedly.

no! Wrong!! May sound like a lie but i do enjoy learning on some occasions, i never wake up in the morning and think " **** school tomorrow. no i hate school", i really want to carry on with my education!!!!!!
Reply 30
Cheers buddy, and yeah I've applied for a couple of schools but i feel they won't accept me as it is too last minute and its a retake of a year

Hey don't doubt them. It's not too late, it's just not early, you know?
Keep applying and call them up too, explain everything and just tell them you wasn't comfortable with your A-levels and thus you didn't get high marks, however don't say that if you still want to do the same a-levels in their college.
Do apply and email them too with a letter explaining why you want to retake and let them know of your ambitions and what you will change and when resitting the year at their college.
Reply 31
no! Wrong!! May sound like a lie but i do enjoy learning on some occasions, i never wake up in the morning and think " **** school tomorrow. no i hate school", i really want to carry on with my education!!!!!!

No you just think you do. Sit down and look deeply into yourself and you will find that you would rather be doing something else. I know your type, the "I want to get good grades and get into a good university but when it comes to it I just cbf and slack off"
No you just think you do. Sit down and look deeply into yourself and you will find that you would rather be doing something else. I know your type, the "I want to get good grades and get into a good university but when it comes to it I just cbf and slack off"

How the **** do you know my type?
Reply 33
How the **** do you know my type?

It's obvious. Repeatedly flopping school. Always saying that they want to do better next time. Seen it all before. Your sort just isn't cut out for academia but are brainwashed into thinking that it's the only way.
You should pick things you enjoy and that you're good at. I don't know if you can re-take different subjects. Also as many have said before if you want GOOD results you NEED to work hard and put the effort in. I don't know your situation fully and I don't know you personally so I can't lecture you about working harder or saying that you didn't in the first place. I wish you good luck and try your best :smile:
My Dad repeatedly beat me with a cricket bat because I got a B in general studies, even though I got AAAA in my other subjects!!

So you've got it easy
Original post by mahatma ghandi
My Dad repeatedly beat me with a cricket bat because I got a B in general studies, even though I got AAAA in my other subjects!!

So you've got it easy

Im not surprised, your name is Mahatma Ghandi
It's obvious. Repeatedly flopping school. Always saying that they want to do better next time. Seen it all before. Your sort just isn't cut out for academia but are brainwashed into thinking that it's the only way.

Er no i resat my as year after gting a U in maths..E jn chemistry
B in sociology n d in biology...my family went crazy at me for weeks til i decided to resit..i did those subjects for my family's sake...but the second time round i did it for me and got 3Bs
I said id do better next time...i resat n i enjoyed n.understood it better so dnt go saying people arn't cut out...guy makes the thread to get some real constructive advice so he can do well academically he doesnt need small minded people like you judging his character over grades
Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skpatel
Er no i resat my as year after gting a U in maths..E jn chemistry
B in sociology n d in biology...my family went crazy at me for weeks til i decided to resit..i did those subjects for my family's sake...but the second time round i did it for me and got 3Bs
I said id do better next time...i resat n i enjoyed n.understood it better so dnt go saying people arn't cut out...guy makes the thread to get some real constructive advice so he can do well academically he doesnt need small minded people like you judging his character over grades
Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile

he's obviously doing it on purpose because he's that person who's working in an apprenticeship for plumbing
he's obviously doing it on purpose because he's that person who's working in an apprenticeship for plumbing

Still, theres no need for him to kick you while your down

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest