The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Do you think its worth moving out to live on campus at Brunel University?

I live in east london, and I was just wondering whether you think its worth moving out to live on campus at Brunel which is in Uxbridge.
It'd take me around 2 hrs to get to brunel on a normal day, from my house (if i dont move out).

Plus, I'm gonna be studying English Lit, and i've heard from many that the English subjects have less time IN uni, more independent reading/study.

However, I did want to experience living out for a change, but the rent of the room/accommodation is off putting. £125 weekly, and around £4,600 in total. Anyone think its worth it?

Are there any Brunel students that can give me advice of campus life?

Opinions and general logical thoughts appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by deryaya
I live in east london, and I was just wondering whether you think its worth moving out to live on campus at Brunel which is in Uxbridge.
It'd take me around 2 hrs to get to brunel on a normal day, from my house (if i dont move out).

Plus, I'm gonna be studying English Lit, and i've heard from many that the English subjects have less time IN uni, more independent reading/study.

However, I did want to experience living out for a change, but the rent of the room/accommodation is off putting. £125 weekly, and around £4,600 in total. Anyone think its worth it?

Don't go to Brunel but I'd say move out. Do you really want to be travelling 2 hours a day to potentially only be in 1 hour, or have a 5 hour gap where your forced to hang around because you can't go home? On your days off you won't have easy access to the library for those books you need or for quiet study. £125pw is pretty reasonable for an ensuite room as far as halls go, especially for the South East.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Don't go to Brunel but I'd say move out. Do you really want to be travelling 2 hours a day to potentially only be in 1 hour, or have a 5 hour gap where your forced to hang around because you can't go home? On your days off you won't have easy access to the library for those books you need or for quiet study. £125pw is pretty reasonable for an ensuite room as far as halls go, especially for the South East.

Why would you say not Brunel? Any reasons? :/ It's not that bad a uni is it?

I guess I understand what you mean about the gaps and stuff, so thanks for that insight.
Reply 3
Original post by deryaya
Why would you say not Brunel? Any reasons? :/ It's not that bad a uni is it?

I guess I understand what you mean about the gaps and stuff, so thanks for that insight.

Sorry I meant 'I don't go to Brunel' so I can't comment on campus life.
Reply 4
Sorry I meant 'I don't go to Brunel' so I can't comment on campus life.

Oh okays haha makes more sense :smile:

Do you go uni, if so which one? and your opinions about it?
Reply 5
I am in this dilemma aswell cos I would be travelling 2+ hours to get to Brunel from Croydon :frown: Worst thing is South London isn't covered very well by the Tube!
Original post by deryaya

Hey there, I've finished my first year and first of all you are correct in saying that the contact hours aren't that many for your course although 2 hours commute to and from is a LOT, yh you will think its ok for the first few weeks but the course starts getting more intense you may end up regretting it. Campus life is brilliant !!! I lived in standard and we have a subway (highest grossing in the uk lool), costcutter ( which is being made bigger) and hsbc bank and there's more. Depending on whereabouots on campus you are you can walk to the town centre which is like 20 mins and we have bus stops very close by. I would definitely recommend living on campus :smile: and have you considered standard accommodation ?? I was really happy in my standard room, the rooms are a good size, free wifi etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Say_NiZam
I am in this dilemma aswell cos I would be travelling 2+ hours to get to Brunel from Croydon :frown: Worst thing is South London isn't covered very well by the Tube!

I live quite near croydon and go to Brunel as well. It's such a trek to Uxbridge. I would definitely consider moving out. I'm now a final year student, but in second year, I had lectures that finished at 8(!), you wouldn't want to have a two hour journey after that!
Reply 8
Original post by deryaya
Oh okays haha makes more sense :smile:

Do you go uni, if so which one? and your opinions about it?

Yeah I do, UEA. Personally I love it there, like Brunel its a campus uni near a town but not in it so you have the best of both worlds. Most of the halls are on campus and everythings close by. I do think they could squeeze in a few more contact hours for arts courses like mine (International Relations) but thats the same at any university I'm afraid. And the hub system they brought in for handing in coursework is a bit rubbish. But anyway that bits specific to UEA. Oh and I moved out for uni and I've not regretted it one bit.
Reply 9
Original post by xami
I live quite near croydon and go to Brunel as well. It's such a trek to Uxbridge. I would definitely consider moving out. I'm now a final year student, but in second year, I had lectures that finished at 8(!), you wouldn't want to have a two hour journey after that!

Uh oh... How long does it take you to get there? And what are you studying?

Hey! I live in Norbury and totally agree with you about the tubes. I just finished my 1st year and I lived in and I can defo say its worth it! You dont have to wake up early to travel in for lectures as they are on campus. Some lectureres cancel and dont give notice (or until a few mins b4 lecture) and you will waste a journey in. I could go on with positives for it lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It is why I turned down my Brunel offer. I live in North London and it's too far for even me. It's basically countryside. I know people commute that far for jobs but a job is different, when you go to work you know you will be there the whole day doing something, for university a lot of the time you only need to go there for an hour or so. Everyone I knew who went to Brunel just lived there and these guys were from Bounds Green, Palmers Green etc so much closer than you are
Reply 12
Original post by Bubble_10
Hey! I live in Norbury and totally agree with you about the tubes. I just finished my 1st year and I lived in and I can defo say its worth it! You dont have to wake up early to travel in for lectures as they are on campus. Some lectureres cancel and dont give notice (or until a few mins b4 lecture) and you will waste a journey in. I could go on with positives for it lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fun fact: there is no tube in south London because the ground is too wet for tunneling. There is one, the Northern Line to Morden but that was really hard to build. They needed to tunnel in special pressure vessels to keep the water out. The second reason is that there was already a large suburban railway network there because of the experiments of the Southern Railway company experiments in short distance electric trains.
living on campus makes it easier to make friends and I'd say it was worth doing in the first year for that reason alone. Later on you might find it better to commute/sleep on a friends floor for a night or two.
Original post by peter12345
Fun fact: there is no tube in south London because the ground is too wet for tunneling. There is one, the Northern Line to Morden but that was really hard to build. They needed to tunnel in special pressure vessels to keep the water out. The second reason is that there was already a large suburban railway network there because of the experiments of the Southern Railway company experiments in short distance electric trains.

Interesting.. But there are a few tube lines in south London.. Brixton (Victoria line) elephant and castle
(bakerloo line) :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Funkyhouse
Hey there, I've finished my first year and first of all you are correct in saying that the contact hours aren't that many for your course although 2 hours commute to and from is a LOT, yh you will think its ok for the first few weeks but the course starts getting more intense you may end up regretting it. Campus life is brilliant !!! I lived in standard and we have a subway (highest grossing in the uk lool), costcutter ( which is being made bigger) and hsbc bank and there's more. Depending on whereabouots on campus you are you can walk to the town centre which is like 20 mins and we have bus stops very close by. I would definitely recommend living on campus :smile: and have you considered standard accommodation ?? I was really happy in my standard room, the rooms are a good size, free wifi etc.

Thank you for the info! Yup, I decided today that I will be moving to live on campus :smile: had to reply by tomorrow otherwise the room offer would have been rejected. I have been to the opening day for Brunel, so I've got an idea of the surroundings.

I never really thought of having a standard room, coz I just didn't wanna share my bathroom/toilet with strangers (hopefully that doesn't sound rude), but yeah... personal reasons I guess :smile:. So the best option for me was ensuite. Hoping Brunel is gonna be a good experience for me!

Are you still at Brunel? if so, which year are u in?
Reply 16

Ahhh, really.. Have you decided yet? Remember to decide before the deadline of your accommodation offer!
Reply 17
Original post by Funkyhouse

Oh sorry, you already said you had just finished your first year, and I just asked what year haha, my bad. What course did you study?

Btw, I don't know much about the library at Brunel, does it get packed easily?
Reply 18
Yeah I do, UEA. Personally I love it there, like Brunel its a campus uni near a town but not in it so you have the best of both worlds. Most of the halls are on campus and everythings close by. I do think they could squeeze in a few more contact hours for arts courses like mine (International Relations) but thats the same at any university I'm afraid. And the hub system they brought in for handing in coursework is a bit rubbish. But anyway that bits specific to UEA. Oh and I moved out for uni and I've not regretted it one bit.

Thanks for the info, yeah I guess I understand what you mean about the arts courses having less contact hours. I've heard most uni's are similar, as you have said.

Yepp, I've decided to move to campus and live there, kinda getting nervous already, as I just agreed to the room I was given (/tenancy agreement) D:
Reply 19
Original post by peter12345
It is why I turned down my Brunel offer. I live in North London and it's too far for even me. It's basically countryside. I know people commute that far for jobs but a job is different, when you go to work you know you will be there the whole day doing something, for university a lot of the time you only need to go there for an hour or so. Everyone I knew who went to Brunel just lived there and these guys were from Bounds Green, Palmers Green etc so much closer than you are

Ahh, thanks for your insight, atleast it doesn't seem that pointless that I'll be living on campus now. Totally agree with your comment about it being like the countryside. For me, it felt like the campus was on the side of a motorway lool, pretty isolated and stuff. Oh wells, hopefully uni goes well for me there.

Quick Reply

Latest