The Student Room Group

How to get rid of Ombre hair without dying it all

Hi all,

I've had Ombre hair for about 1.5 years now and i feel like going back to my old brown!

I just want to know how i would cover up the ombre without dying my entire hair! (i dont want to have roots if the hair dye doesnt match my natural colour)

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by KRose_
Hi all,

I've had Ombre hair for about 1.5 years now and i feel like going back to my old brown!

I just want to know how i would cover up the ombre without dying my entire hair! (i dont want to have roots if the hair dye doesnt match my natural colour)

Thanks in advance!

You could try using semi permanent colours or toners on the Ombre first, so that way if it isn't the right colour, you can put another one on and build up the colour you are after.

If there wasn't much left, I'd say have it trimmed out, but if you've been regularly maintaining it, I don't think you want to do that!
What colour is your hair naturally?

I used a permanent colour that very closely matched my natural colour on the bottom half (basically any part of my hair that was ombred) of my hair.

That way I got the colour in and I didn't have to touch the roots... at worst it will look like a very natural ombre because of the varying tones at the bottom where the colour was picked up differently. I managed to cover the whole of it, but I guess it's easier having darker hair.

Does... that make sense? Yeah try getting a colour closest to your natural colour and dying only the ombred parts. :pain:
Reply 3
Original post by kimprovising
What colour is your hair naturally?

I used a permanent colour that very closely matched my natural colour on the bottom half (basically any part of my hair that was ombred) of my hair.

That way I got the colour in and I didn't have to touch the roots... at worst it will look like a very natural ombre because of the varying tones at the bottom where the colour was picked up differently. I managed to cover the whole of it, but I guess it's easier having darker hair.

Does... that make sense? Yeah try getting a colour closest to your natural colour and dying only the ombred parts. :pain:

My natural colour which is the colour at the top of my head is just a medium chocolate brown :smile: thats a good idea! only problem is my ombre is all the way to my chin/ears so if its a completely different shade of brown it would be quite noticeable! and its so hard to pick a box colour... they never turn out what it looks like on the cover (bad experiences)
Original post by KRose_
My natural colour which is the colour at the top of my head is just a medium chocolate brown :smile: thats a good idea! only problem is my ombre is all the way to my chin/ears so if its a completely different shade of brown it would be quite noticeable! and its so hard to pick a box colour... they never turn out what it looks like on the cover (bad experiences)

It might sound expensive but you could buy a few colours and test a few strands? Or go to a salon and get it done which would probably be more expensive haha. Maybe you could go into a hairdressers and ask them for a box dye they could recommend for your hair colour? I have a friend who did this.

Honestly even if it is up to your chin, because I'm assuming you hair gets lighter as it goes down, the colours will look like an almost natural ombre, and you could even add a few low/high lights to make it look more natural or something. If you're okay with experimenting with your hair.

And of course, once it grows out you can get it trimmed :colone:
Can you go to a hairdressers and ask them to match up a colour for you? It would probably only be about £30. More expensive than a box dye but salon dyes are better because they don't develop in 10 minutes and at least they can do it evenly? x
They could put dye on the ombre first and then right at the end put it on your natural hair to make it match if it was pretty much the same colour as your natural colour.

Quick Reply

Latest