The Student Room Group

Can I get my student loan advanced?

Hi all

So I've just put down a deposit on a house. I now have about £150 to my name until I get my wages which is not until next month. I need £300 to put into my student bank account to activate it :frown:

It's a very long shot but is there any way I could get my first payment advanced? It's a genuine reason, there must be others in my situation?

Any ideas? Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No you can't.
Reply 2
Your student loans/grants are only issued once your uni confirms to SF that you have enrolled at the start of the academic year. So your money will arrive be a few days after you enrol at the start of term.
Reply 3
Original post by gee wiz
Hi all

So I've just put down a deposit on a house. I now have about £150 to my name until I get my wages which is not until next month. I need £300 to put into my student bank account to activate it :frown:

It's a very long shot but is there any way I could get my first payment advanced? It's a genuine reason, there must be others in my situation?

Any ideas? Thanks!

no way at all. you could borrow the £300 off your parents, put it in your account then take it out the next day, that should work.
Reply 4
Hardship loan?
Original post by gee wiz
Hi all

Any ideas? Thanks!
It is not possible to get an advancement of your student loan.
Reply 6
Thought so. Thanks for all the replies.

Original post by jelly1000
no way at all. you could borrow the £300 off your parents, put it in your account then take it out the next day, that should work.

Not possible unfortunately. Thanks though

Original post by HazzaTL
Hardship loan?

Could you elaborate?
Reply 7
Original post by gee wiz

Could you elaborate?

From your university
Reply 8
Original post by HazzaTL
Hardship loan?

You can check with your prospective uni, but until you enrol you aren't officially a student there, so it probably wouldn't be handed over any sooner than the SF funds.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
You can check with your prospective uni, but until you enrol you aren't officially a student there, so it probably wouldn't be handed over any sooner than the SF funds.

Alright, thank you :smile:
SLC have no discretion to release payments early at all. The reason is that their confirmation of attendance is the first indication they get that you are a genuine student. They have no way of confirming that you've actually been made an offer at university. Someone could not apply to UCAS or university at all, fill out a SFE application, be fully approved and sign their declaration, and the payments would be all set up, waiting to go when the attendance file is received.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending